GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tiscali - A WARNING"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 03/03/04 at 22:39
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Having spent last Monday on a highly fun series of calls to Tiscali in an attempt to cancel my line with them, and having just made a large post on their own customer forums I though I'd reprpduce it here as a warning to all about this company.....

After yet another billing mess up, the continued fantasy land that is the Tiscali Service Status, the most unreliable email I've ever had in 9 years of internet use, and glad that my contract with the devil, sorry, Tiscali, had ran more than the 12 months I decided to move to Pipex.

Under £24 gets the same service, more email, more freedom with webspace, and as I would soon realise, customer support from english people with a brain.

It began so simply. A new bank card had arrived and was identical to the one I use for my bill. I tried to change it online but it would not accept the card saying it was not a valid card type.

I ring billing first to find out why my card does not work. I experience Tiscali's unique telephone system which is sheer ingenuity gone mad. I ring, negotiate the touch tone system, get in a queue. Music plays. Music stops, recorded message which is along the lines of "all our operators are busy".

It's at this stage I think, "no problem, I'm just in a queue". Then the message ends. Then I am cut off.

Repeat 9 times, same message but on the last time I am put in the queue and do not get cut off. I suspect the system recognises repeat calls and only queues the absolute persistent. I also shudder to think what happens at a busy time in the day, unless 1PM in the afternoon is the busy period.

So I get through. Explain what I want to do. I'm told Tiscali no longer accept the card type and never did. Which is damn funny because Tiscali has been taking my money for over a year on it. I decide enough is enough and ask how I cancel. Person says I write to Tiscali. Can I have the address I ask. It's on the website I am told (it is not by the way). I ask again, by the third attempt I am reluctantly given the address.

So I go to Pipex's site and see they do line migration. But I need the CBUK code for my connection. I am clueless but once again ring tech support. After being cut off six times I get through - it is now nearly 2 hours since my first phone call.

An indian sounding bloke answers. I explain what I need. I am put on hold. He says I cannot have the CBUK number. I ask why. I am told I cannot. I ask to speak to a supervisor. I am put on hold for five minutes. He comes back, again I cannot have the number of the line I have paid for for over a year. Exapserated I make the point that if someone does not get on the phone and give me the number then Tiscali will not be happy with the result. I get put on hold.

Bloke comes back on, I can now have the number once I confirm details.

I confirm username, address etc One question is when did I sign up? I signed up in June 2003 didn't I asks the bloke? A clear attempt at trickery and trying to catch me out because I have already said I signed up November 2002, at this stage I am not a happy person. Then he wants my password. I state they are not supposed to ask for that and don't need it. He insists it's either the password or no code. Totally p***ed off I give it him and finally get the CBUK code.

If Tiscali obstruct the migration then that's the final straw....high ho hi ho it's off to trading standards we go....
Fri 05/03/04 at 23:06
Regular
"Bicycle"
BT's good.

Tiscali invaded my computer. For no reason. When I installed Windows, Tiscali .10 was installed and running everything, even after I had told the system BT Broadband was to be both the default server and dial-up.

After about an hour I figured out how to delete it, but it meant turning off some system restart thing (they had this wierd anti-deletion thing). Soooo annoying.
Fri 05/03/04 at 19:51
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Heh, that should have said gamecube instead of broadband.
Fri 05/03/04 at 19:51
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Ranma wrote:
> can you use any of the consoles yet with AOL broadband?

I think it works with broadband.
Fri 05/03/04 at 19:46
Regular
can you use any of the consoles yet with AOL broadband?
Fri 05/03/04 at 19:43
Regular
"I crashed into a va"
at least ur adsl providers site is still up, i'm with 123adsl.co.uk who are a reseller from another backbone provider and the backbone provider can't help me, typical
Thu 04/03/04 at 18:46
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Ha, Tiscali suck leprechaun scrotum with cheese. They are complete rubbish.
Wed 03/03/04 at 23:15
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Tiscalli are rubbish. Visit the message boards on www.adslguide.org.uk and you will see. I have Pipex and are extremely happy with them. They are the 4th largest ADSL ISP in the UK, after the big 3 in no particular order of Freeserve, AOL and BT. Considering they dont do much advertising to the mass market its quite a good place.
Wed 03/03/04 at 22:39
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Having spent last Monday on a highly fun series of calls to Tiscali in an attempt to cancel my line with them, and having just made a large post on their own customer forums I though I'd reprpduce it here as a warning to all about this company.....

After yet another billing mess up, the continued fantasy land that is the Tiscali Service Status, the most unreliable email I've ever had in 9 years of internet use, and glad that my contract with the devil, sorry, Tiscali, had ran more than the 12 months I decided to move to Pipex.

Under £24 gets the same service, more email, more freedom with webspace, and as I would soon realise, customer support from english people with a brain.

It began so simply. A new bank card had arrived and was identical to the one I use for my bill. I tried to change it online but it would not accept the card saying it was not a valid card type.

I ring billing first to find out why my card does not work. I experience Tiscali's unique telephone system which is sheer ingenuity gone mad. I ring, negotiate the touch tone system, get in a queue. Music plays. Music stops, recorded message which is along the lines of "all our operators are busy".

It's at this stage I think, "no problem, I'm just in a queue". Then the message ends. Then I am cut off.

Repeat 9 times, same message but on the last time I am put in the queue and do not get cut off. I suspect the system recognises repeat calls and only queues the absolute persistent. I also shudder to think what happens at a busy time in the day, unless 1PM in the afternoon is the busy period.

So I get through. Explain what I want to do. I'm told Tiscali no longer accept the card type and never did. Which is damn funny because Tiscali has been taking my money for over a year on it. I decide enough is enough and ask how I cancel. Person says I write to Tiscali. Can I have the address I ask. It's on the website I am told (it is not by the way). I ask again, by the third attempt I am reluctantly given the address.

So I go to Pipex's site and see they do line migration. But I need the CBUK code for my connection. I am clueless but once again ring tech support. After being cut off six times I get through - it is now nearly 2 hours since my first phone call.

An indian sounding bloke answers. I explain what I need. I am put on hold. He says I cannot have the CBUK number. I ask why. I am told I cannot. I ask to speak to a supervisor. I am put on hold for five minutes. He comes back, again I cannot have the number of the line I have paid for for over a year. Exapserated I make the point that if someone does not get on the phone and give me the number then Tiscali will not be happy with the result. I get put on hold.

Bloke comes back on, I can now have the number once I confirm details.

I confirm username, address etc One question is when did I sign up? I signed up in June 2003 didn't I asks the bloke? A clear attempt at trickery and trying to catch me out because I have already said I signed up November 2002, at this stage I am not a happy person. Then he wants my password. I state they are not supposed to ask for that and don't need it. He insists it's either the password or no code. Totally p***ed off I give it him and finally get the CBUK code.

If Tiscali obstruct the migration then that's the final straw....high ho hi ho it's off to trading standards we go....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.