GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Carreer in web design????"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 01/03/04 at 22:26
Regular
hi if there are any well established web designers out there, i could use ur help. I am thinking of a carreer in web design and am about to sign up to a course with UKIT in tolworth. The cost of the course is £2550. Do you think this cost sounds about right for a professional qualification? Becoming an CIW webmaster. And is the current demand for web designers high or not really needed? thanks for your replies. mr mix
Tue 09/03/04 at 19:18
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Messy wrote:
> Mac's are the 'creative' computer.
>
> Not necesairily for Web Design, as such - though if you look there is
> an IE for Mac's - but for image editing programs such as Photoshop
> etc, which is undoubtedly useful in Web Design.

Macs only make up for about 4% of internet usage with IE Mac only being responsible for about 3% of all interney access. Why go to the expense of setting yourself up with something that will make life difficult for no reason!
Tue 09/03/04 at 10:06
Regular
"Bicycle"
Mac's are the 'creative' computer.

Not necesairily for Web Design, as such - though if you look there is an IE for Mac's - but for image editing programs such as Photoshop etc, which is undoubtedly useful in Web Design.
Fri 05/03/04 at 19:13
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Icarus wrote:
> Tyla wrote:
> Hardly used my G4 for work
> since I got it!
>
> Hmmm, so what do you use it for?

What they were deisgned for; Video Editing, Graphic Design and Music as well as a local server as they convieniently come with PHP/Apache pre installed
Fri 05/03/04 at 12:21
Tyla wrote:
Hardly used my G4 for work
> since I got it!

Hmmm, so what do you use it for?
Thu 04/03/04 at 23:06
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Messy wrote:
> Also - if you're serious about it, invest in a MAC

Mac's are soooo bad for webdesign! ABout 90% of the planet uses a PC to access the internet, 98% use IE6/PC... you gonna make your life really difficult using a mAc for the job! Hardly used my G4 for work since I got it!
Thu 04/03/04 at 21:26
Regular
"Bicycle"
Also - if you're serious about it, invest in a MAC and Photoshop 8 / 7, as well as PSP, if you're REALLY into it.

And get to know Photoshop very... intematly. A course in Photoshop would invariably be cheaper and more useful to you.
Thu 04/03/04 at 21:22
Regular
"Bicycle"
Raahahahha...

I got 50 bob for a website...

And I'm 14.

And I know very little away from the usual HTML and CSS (teeny weeny JAVA and CGI) except PhP, which I find surprisingly easy.

If you're looking at some example of succesful people (or sites I just like personally) check out the following;

http://www.richard-may.co.uk (an artist, but it's a very nice layout)
http://www.meomi.com (a pixel art site, but do web design too - very original)
http://www.eskedahl.se (brilliant)

Those are all portfolio's, but I love them anyway. Check out ArchiBald Designs (WTF?) who designed Richard May's site.

Richard May also works on a lot of big magazines, TimeOut etc.
Thu 04/03/04 at 17:28
Regular
"Touched!"
I was considering (still am) doing a Web Development course at Teesside uni in September, I have now received an unconditional offer for one of their new courses, creative digital media, which allows me mix units, such as games design, comp animation, digital communication and web design/development, I am also submitting some life drawings for a games design course :)
Thu 04/03/04 at 16:53
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Tequila Sunset wrote:
> Java teaches you object orientated programming at it's most structured
> and logical, other languages such as PHP and ASP will fall into place
> much easier after this.

NOW you tell me :D

*"Beavering away on PHP for months, could of leanrt Java", moan moan moan*
Thu 04/03/04 at 15:57
Regular
"Unknown Legend"
Java teaches you object orientated programming at it's most structured and logical, other languages such as PHP and ASP will fall into place much easier after this. Java can also be used in web applications, e.g. for chatrooms and jukeboxes using applets.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.