GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"AMD 64 vs Intel P4"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 01/03/04 at 21:01
"Majestic"
Which one should i chose....

AMD 64 --3000
P4 3ghz.

I want to surf the net, type on mircosoft word, and most of all draw on paint.

I might want to even play on games. Yeah, i think i want to do that. ;)

Any help is welcomed, thanks in advance.

>note, i posted this in the PC gaming room, and realised i'd posted it in the wrong place. Doh!
Tue 02/03/04 at 00:10
"I love yo... lamp."
I better clarify a bit here. The A64 *is* better for gaming than the P4.

But, I just feel it is too limited. Socket 754 is going to be dicontinued, Socket 939 is the way forward for 64 bit. It just isn't out yet.

At least with the P4 it would be a bit cheaper and the performance difference is only noticable in benchmarks. Plus it might have a bit more of a future.

And Ali, you really won't be any better off. If you work on your Barton carefully you could get it to about 2.4 GHz in most cases, which would give you something approaching 3500XP kind of results. In fact, with a bit of luck, 2.6-2.7 is doable. Save the money for a *big* upgrade.

The reason I'm holding off 64 bit is that I'm waiting on socket 939 coming out. It isn't like I'm talking about years. This is due in the next month or two. And then I can recommend the A64, because it will have a future. Socket 754 is the Slot A of the PC world at the moment. Socket 939 is the new Socket A.
Mon 01/03/04 at 23:34
Regular
Heh!

I have tried that one already. I said get a decent overclocking motherboard and an Athlon 2600 XP + and then clock it to higher speeds. I got mine to perform at 3200 XP scores and wasn't far off Ahtlon 64 3000 scores.

Having said that I will be replacing my CPU soon and I will most likely get a Pentium 4 3.0 GHZ + and clock it to run at 3.6 GHZ speeds.
Mon 01/03/04 at 23:26
"I love yo... lamp."
Actually, this time round I'd say P4.

You would be looking at least £150 for an Athlon 64 3000. £120 or so for a decent overclockable P4.

Motherboards would be around £90 for decent ones.

Decent heatsinks are also more expensive for 64 bit. Not by much, but it starts to mount up.

What I would really recommend would be an Athlon, the 32 bit one, 2500XP, approx £50, and an NF7 motherboard, approx £70, and just overclock it to 3200XP speeds. Or beyond.

But thats just me.
Mon 01/03/04 at 21:01
"Majestic"
Which one should i chose....

AMD 64 --3000
P4 3ghz.

I want to surf the net, type on mircosoft word, and most of all draw on paint.

I might want to even play on games. Yeah, i think i want to do that. ;)

Any help is welcomed, thanks in advance.

>note, i posted this in the PC gaming room, and realised i'd posted it in the wrong place. Doh!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.