GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"AMD 64 vs Intel P4"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 01/03/04 at 21:01
"Majestic"
Which one should i chose....

AMD 64 --3000
P4 3ghz.

I want to surf the net, type on mircosoft word, and most of all draw on paint.

I might want to even play on games. Yeah, i think i want to do that. ;)

Any help is welcomed, thanks in advance.

>note, i posted this in the PC gaming room, and realised i'd posted it in the wrong place. Doh!
Mon 01/03/04 at 21:01
"Majestic"
Which one should i chose....

AMD 64 --3000
P4 3ghz.

I want to surf the net, type on mircosoft word, and most of all draw on paint.

I might want to even play on games. Yeah, i think i want to do that. ;)

Any help is welcomed, thanks in advance.

>note, i posted this in the PC gaming room, and realised i'd posted it in the wrong place. Doh!
Mon 01/03/04 at 23:26
"I love yo... lamp."
Actually, this time round I'd say P4.

You would be looking at least £150 for an Athlon 64 3000. £120 or so for a decent overclockable P4.

Motherboards would be around £90 for decent ones.

Decent heatsinks are also more expensive for 64 bit. Not by much, but it starts to mount up.

What I would really recommend would be an Athlon, the 32 bit one, 2500XP, approx £50, and an NF7 motherboard, approx £70, and just overclock it to 3200XP speeds. Or beyond.

But thats just me.
Mon 01/03/04 at 23:34
Regular
Heh!

I have tried that one already. I said get a decent overclocking motherboard and an Athlon 2600 XP + and then clock it to higher speeds. I got mine to perform at 3200 XP scores and wasn't far off Ahtlon 64 3000 scores.

Having said that I will be replacing my CPU soon and I will most likely get a Pentium 4 3.0 GHZ + and clock it to run at 3.6 GHZ speeds.
Tue 02/03/04 at 00:10
"I love yo... lamp."
I better clarify a bit here. The A64 *is* better for gaming than the P4.

But, I just feel it is too limited. Socket 754 is going to be dicontinued, Socket 939 is the way forward for 64 bit. It just isn't out yet.

At least with the P4 it would be a bit cheaper and the performance difference is only noticable in benchmarks. Plus it might have a bit more of a future.

And Ali, you really won't be any better off. If you work on your Barton carefully you could get it to about 2.4 GHz in most cases, which would give you something approaching 3500XP kind of results. In fact, with a bit of luck, 2.6-2.7 is doable. Save the money for a *big* upgrade.

The reason I'm holding off 64 bit is that I'm waiting on socket 939 coming out. It isn't like I'm talking about years. This is due in the next month or two. And then I can recommend the A64, because it will have a future. Socket 754 is the Slot A of the PC world at the moment. Socket 939 is the new Socket A.
Tue 02/03/04 at 00:33
Regular
Decent RAM and an Nforce chipset motherboard are my main priorities as well as a new heatsink and fan for my CPU so I can clock it towards the 2.4GHZ mark.
Tue 02/03/04 at 16:26
Regular
"Digging!"
Notorious Biggles wrote:

> At least with the P4 it would be a bit cheaper and the performance
> difference is only noticable in benchmarks. Plus it might have a bit
> more of a future.

True, and having seen both running the A64 actually is more jalty on screen beacuse of the slower thaiwanise chipsets (the GFx card has a higher framerate but doesnt actually have a new signal to change to, I would assume). I also noticed this on Tom's Hardware Guide on video 10 on the cpu cooler removed bit (http://www.tomshardware.com/images (SPACE) /thg_video_10_athlon64.zip at 2:20 through)

> The reason I'm holding off 64 bit is that I'm waiting on socket 939
> coming out. It isn't like I'm talking about years. This is due in the
> next month or two. And then I can recommend the A64, because it will
> have a future. Socket 754 is the Slot A of the PC world at the
> moment. Socket 939 is the new Socket A.

I'd agree. I'ts like the new Intel socket with round connectors (more conduction) thats coming soon for the faster prescott cores.
Tue 02/03/04 at 23:07
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> I better clarify a bit here. The A64 *is* better for gaming than the
> P4.
>
> But, I just feel it is too limited. Socket 754 is going to be
> dicontinued, Socket 939 is the way forward for 64 bit. It just isn't
> out yet.

Isnt there a 940 as well? As the FX 51 runs on 940.
Wed 03/03/04 at 01:47
"I love yo... lamp."
Yes there is a socket 940, and it gets discontinued soon as well I believe. But seeing as the FX series is only available to people who only have a left arm, and Opteron owners, I never bothered mentioning it.
Wed 03/03/04 at 17:23
Regular
"100% Sonic fan"
Go for the pentium 4 as they will be arond for some time and well they are made by pentium.

The AMD would be good but the socket wont be around for that long
Wed 03/03/04 at 23:09
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Buck1 wrote:
> Go for the pentium 4 as they will be arond for some time and well they
> are made by pentium.

Think your meant to say there made by Intel and not Pentium.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.