GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pariah"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Pariah'.
Fri 15/04/05 at 20:22
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I got the demo, and I must say, i'm quite impressed.

Obviously it's got a strong UT foundation, so the gameplay is blisteringly fast and manic.

I like the upgradeable weapons idea. It eliminates some of the 'he had a better weapon' excuses. Some of the weapon upgrades are nice. I like the remotely-detonated grenades and the Purple/Orange sniper vision is mint. I'm a bit torn on whether get it on PC or XBOX.

I play with a lot of mates on LIVE, and the Voice/Headset support is a big plus. On the other hand, while I haven't played the XBOX version to get an idea of the quality, I can run the PC demo on Very High everything at 1280x - (No V-Sync). I haven't tried 1600x, but it should work.

The Single Player should be good fun, but it's the UT-infected multiplayer that I look forward to most. I'm not brilliant at FPS games, but I've played Rainbow 3 and HALO to death and I've started on SWAT 4 Online. FPS's are best on PC, I know - but the community aspect of LIVE is a big draw.

Anyway, the Front Line assault is essentially a tug-of-war (more like a push-of-war) as you fight for the next base. It works on the same idea as battlefield - when a base/conquest section is devoid of any members of the opposite team, you advace and fight for the next one. The demo map was a nice one with the teo bases (Red and Blue) and 3 neutral bases in the middle. The draw-distance was nice, the action rarely slowed and the quick-respawn of vehicles and the ability to dash meant that it never got boring. Hit detection is very good, but gameplay is so fast you couldn't tell otherwise.

The audio was good. Nice theme, good weapon sounds, solid sound effects. The Menu was a bit plain, but it doesn't need to be flashy.

Overall, it's looking like a definite 9/10 game, and there's nothing to suggest it should deserve a score lower than that. Homemade maps and the strong online features should mean the game lasts quite a while. Whether people will be drawn from UT2004, HALO 2, Battlefield 2 or stay with it after the release of Quake 4 remains to be seen, but for a first game, Pariah is looking awesome.
Mon 18/04/05 at 19:02
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Yeah, I have the demo, thanks.

The thing is, while I agree, and have said before, that the Mouse-Keyboard combo is untouchable, I think Bungie did an outstanding job of utilising a XBOX pad for an FPS and Pariah imitates this. I don't have ANYONE who I play online PC games with. I play with randoms from all over the world. On LIVE I play with about 25-odd British lads and it's a great laugh. If it was 2am and I had me EVE online soundtrack through Media Player, then PC, yes. But most times I play at around 10/11pm when everyone else is on - so XBOX would be best.

Graphically I can run Pariah at MAX on my PC and it won't look as good on XBOX. So I think i'll wait and see how may LIVE types actually buy it, then make a decision. I have SWAT and Chaos Theory for between now and then, anyway.
Mon 18/04/05 at 10:04
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
Demo available here. [URL] http://www.pcgameworld.com/details.php/id/5883/ [/URL]
Mon 18/04/05 at 09:49
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
PC or Xbox??

Is that supposed to be a serious question? On what planet can you ever even begin to compare a gamepad to the mouse/keyboard combo? Admittedly the whole LIVE thing is a tad more sociable, but for raw control of a FPS, nothing remotely approaches the degree of control offered by PC.
Sun 17/04/05 at 20:28
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Was thinking of this for me Xbox. Maybe.
Sun 17/04/05 at 18:17
"Retarded List"
Does indeed look good. I'll no doubt buy it... eventually.
Fri 15/04/05 at 20:22
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I got the demo, and I must say, i'm quite impressed.

Obviously it's got a strong UT foundation, so the gameplay is blisteringly fast and manic.

I like the upgradeable weapons idea. It eliminates some of the 'he had a better weapon' excuses. Some of the weapon upgrades are nice. I like the remotely-detonated grenades and the Purple/Orange sniper vision is mint. I'm a bit torn on whether get it on PC or XBOX.

I play with a lot of mates on LIVE, and the Voice/Headset support is a big plus. On the other hand, while I haven't played the XBOX version to get an idea of the quality, I can run the PC demo on Very High everything at 1280x - (No V-Sync). I haven't tried 1600x, but it should work.

The Single Player should be good fun, but it's the UT-infected multiplayer that I look forward to most. I'm not brilliant at FPS games, but I've played Rainbow 3 and HALO to death and I've started on SWAT 4 Online. FPS's are best on PC, I know - but the community aspect of LIVE is a big draw.

Anyway, the Front Line assault is essentially a tug-of-war (more like a push-of-war) as you fight for the next base. It works on the same idea as battlefield - when a base/conquest section is devoid of any members of the opposite team, you advace and fight for the next one. The demo map was a nice one with the teo bases (Red and Blue) and 3 neutral bases in the middle. The draw-distance was nice, the action rarely slowed and the quick-respawn of vehicles and the ability to dash meant that it never got boring. Hit detection is very good, but gameplay is so fast you couldn't tell otherwise.

The audio was good. Nice theme, good weapon sounds, solid sound effects. The Menu was a bit plain, but it doesn't need to be flashy.

Overall, it's looking like a definite 9/10 game, and there's nothing to suggest it should deserve a score lower than that. Homemade maps and the strong online features should mean the game lasts quite a while. Whether people will be drawn from UT2004, HALO 2, Battlefield 2 or stay with it after the release of Quake 4 remains to be seen, but for a first game, Pariah is looking awesome.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.