GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Javascript"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 27/02/04 at 21:58
Regular
"Milky Milky"
I'd like to start using Javascript and was wondering if any of you nice types could recommend a book or website that will help me get going?
Tue 02/03/04 at 21:21
Mmmm, jaffa cookies.

I've never even looked at Javascript before; would you say, from someone who's in the process of learning Java, that's it's easy (and time consuming) to learn?
Tue 02/03/04 at 21:20
Regular
"You've upset me"
I learnt JavaScript last year and have written some nifty little scripts in it. It's functional and it gives you a perfect base for you to move on to dHTML which in its own right is damn cool.

A few websites for you - look around them all and do as many of the tutorials as you can:-

www.webmonkey.com (just search for JavaScript tutorial)
http://pageresource.com
www.javascriptkit.com
www.htmlgoodies.com (Find the JS primers)
www.howtocreate.co.uk (For when you're slightly more advanced)
Sat 28/02/04 at 23:46
Regular
AliBoy wrote:
> I've been coding in JAVA for 4 years and in C for about a year and a
> half and I don't see them being that similar

Definining things is practically the same (int, char, float, double) etc, Come on you must think theres some similarity in the style of coding? I'm not comparing the functions/ability's, i'm talking about the layout, its practically the same.

Even though System.out.println is totally different to printf :P
Sat 28/02/04 at 19:47
Regular
"Milky Milky"
It's about on the right tech level for me...lol...please keep keeping it simple :)
Sat 28/02/04 at 19:27
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
gamezfreak wrote:
> such as the extensive use of curly brackets.

Lovely and technical there!

:p
Sat 28/02/04 at 18:26
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I've been coding in JAVA for 4 years and in C for about a year and a half and I don't see them being that similar, sure there are similarities with the layout and use of brackets and semi colons etc But that can be said with other languages.
I just think C requires more knowledge of the lower levels of the hardware it is running on.

As for the JavaScript, it has nothing at all to do with JAVA, was only named that way for marketing reasons.

JavaScript was created by netscape, JScript by Microsoft and although there is similarities between some Javascript coding to JAVA I still don't see them being to similar at all.

Guess it all falls down to personal opinions though :0)
Sat 28/02/04 at 18:10
Regular
AliBoy wrote:
> JAVA is not similar to C at all.

It is coding wise, most of the principles of C programming can be seen in Java, such as the "printf" statement and the extensive use of curly brackets. I've dabbled in a bit of Java programming at college, and i've been coding in C for about 7 months now.

There are huge similarities between both languages.

Although, as you mentioned, Java can be run on any platform thanks to the JVM. I probably phrased my sentence incorrectly, Java is essentially a synthetic language, it runs on a "virtual computer" so to speak. C code gets compiled into binary and is run off the CPU.

Javascript however, in my own opinion is just an "extension" of Java, on the web, allowing Java based commands to be exexuted. Its the same as the difference between Visual Basic and VBScript.
Sat 28/02/04 at 18:06
Regular
"Milky Milky"
I shall have a look at that site :) Thanks.
Sat 28/02/04 at 18:03
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
JavaScript can be picked up easier than JAVA from my own personal experience. Would suggest you look through the tutorial I posted before and go from there, Javascript can be quite powerful when it comes to web design and you should find that it will do all you want and more.

Plenty of sites out there will offer scripts that you can just copy and use on your sight, google will find them for you easily.
Good luck
Sat 28/02/04 at 17:50
Regular
"Milky Milky"
Well...i'm building a website, and have the basic frame of the site done in HTML...but there's a load of stuff I'd like to do that I know involves JAVA (in which ever form)

So which of the to do you remommend? I'm thinking JAVAscript.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.