GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bugging the UN?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 27/02/04 at 10:13
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Saw a snippet of a story yesterday live on Sky and the BBC about allegations that the British Government had bugged the offices of the UN Secretary General during the lead-up to the Iraq invasion.
And there was somebody from the UN saying if this proved to be true, then it would be considered illegal under 4 or 5 unilaterally signed agreements? (I'm a bit shaky on the details, only caught the tail end of it)

Anybody else see this or was my paranoid commie mind playing tricks on me?
Fri 27/02/04 at 11:09
Regular
"I ush!"
unknown kernel wrote:
>
> This is the kind of an odd approach to democratic accountability.
> You don't think we have a right to know what the government gets up
> to in our name?

Now that is an interesting question.

My answer would be no, but there is a huge element of trust involved, and a trust that could so easily be abused.
Fri 27/02/04 at 11:06
Regular
"relocated"
Skarra wrote:
> One of his primary reasons for the lack of denial was that if he did,
> every alegation made from now on might require an answer.

This is the kind of an odd approach to democratic accountability. You don't think we have a right to know what the government gets up to in our name?
Fri 27/02/04 at 10:58
Regular
"Stay Frosty"
Don't forget, she's offered no proof of any kind.

And, she didn't say if it was actually British Intel.

Also, even the tabliods that usually jump on this type of story have said there are any number of possible explanations. One may be that it was a conversation between Tariq Aziz(sp?) and Mr. Anan. If thats the case, theres every reason Tariq might have been bugged.

If she can provide some sort of proof, fine. Until then, my opinions are clear.
Fri 27/02/04 at 10:54
Regular
"Stay Frosty"
unknown kernel wrote:
> I was just reading about this on the Guardian and BBC websites.
> Shocking stuff if it's true. The funniest thing was Tony Blair's
> defence: no denials, just the ridiculous claim that such an
> accusation endangered British national security.

One of his primary reasons for the lack of denial was that if he did, every alegation made from now on might require an answer.
Fri 27/02/04 at 10:48
Regular
"I ush!"
Personally I think she might just be a bit gullable. Thinking her resignation claim might make a difference and inferring illegal bugging from a transcripted document.

To: [email protected]
Subject: Transcript of communications to North Pole

S.Claus "Hello"
T.Fairy "It's me, is Mary there"
S.Claus "She's sleeping"
T.Fairy "What about the elves?"
S.Claus "I sacked them. I've got cheaper immigrant labour now."
T.Fairy "Can we meet up tonight?"
S.Claus "I dunno, It's risky"
T.Fairy "Pweeeaasse Santy Wanty, Toothy Woothy will sit on you lappy wappy."
S.Claus "Okay, meet you at little red riding house in ten."
T.Fairy "See you then."
S.Claus "Watch out, I hear there are wolves in the woods."
T.Fairy "MMmmm, What big teeth they have"
S.Claus "What are you implying, I thought you said size didn't matter to you!"

etc etc

Imagine the headlines!
Fri 27/02/04 at 10:34
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
So I supposed I was the only one yesterday who saw the UN statement that Annan's office was routinely swept for bugs and none were ever detected?

Face it, this is Claire Short going for the headlines again, just like her "if we go to war I'll resign" claim, notably the moment we went to war she didn't, er, resign.

Not surprising which publications and organisations are pushing the story though...same old, same old.
Fri 27/02/04 at 10:27
Regular
"I ush!"
unknown kernel wrote:
> Simon Says wrote:
> What good will it do the country to announce this to the whole world?
>
>
> It might stop us doing it again. It might stop us undemining
> international institutions and international law. It might lead to
> the 'intelligence' services being held accountable for their actions.

true, but don't you think that there could be other ways to achieve these goals without embarrassing the country and endangered British national security? Perhaps all other methods had already been exhausted, but I still think that this could have been handled better.
Fri 27/02/04 at 10:22
Regular
"relocated"
Simon Says wrote:
> What good will it do the country to announce this to the whole world?

It might stop us doing it again. It might stop us undemining international institutions and international law. It might lead to the 'intelligence' services being held accountable for their actions.
Fri 27/02/04 at 10:19
Regular
"I ush!"
I'm not sure of the reprecussions of our bugging the UN, but it was Clare Short who blew the whistle on us again.

My question is why did she do it? What good will it do the country to announce this to the whole world? Despite the fact that when she read transcripts of conversations collected by the intelligence services she was a member of the government and as such was bounds by the official secrets act I doubt she will see any legal reprecussions for her own actions because that might make her a martyr.

boo her. BOO !
Fri 27/02/04 at 10:19
Regular
"relocated"
I was just reading about this on the Guardian and BBC websites. Shocking stuff if it's true. The funniest thing was Tony Blair's defence: no denials, just the ridiculous claim that such an accusation endangered British national security.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.