GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"28 Days Later..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/02/04 at 11:35
Regular
"Notable"
A fairly old subject by all your standards, but I only seen it last night on DVD.

I liked it. Impressive for a British horror. I mean the scenes in London were great and obviously took allot of planning. Wasan't really scary. It actually made me laugh a bit. For instance when he goes to open the silver Mercedes and the alarm goes off....Well it made me laugh.

I enjoyed the end were he storms back into the mansion on a sadistic killing spree. Particularly were he is plucking out the soldiers eyes with his thumbs. Yummy. I'd rather see that than Jordan with spiders all over her face in some stupid reality T.V show.

Well thats it really.

And your views are....
Thu 19/02/04 at 13:35
Regular
I enjoyed the film, I have it on dvd.
Thu 19/02/04 at 13:34
Regular
"Notable"
Whats so funny about that?

Just irritating if you ask me.
Thu 19/02/04 at 13:33
Regular
"They Call Her 1 Eye"
Sorry I read that back and it sounded conescending. Sorry.
Thu 19/02/04 at 13:33
Regular
"They Call Her 1 Eye"
For the comedy value obviously.
Thu 19/02/04 at 13:32
Regular
"Notable"
Hmm. If I may severly change the subject.

The scene were they are all shopping in the supermarket:

Why does he put his Credit Card down?!!

Yes I know theres no civilisation left. But why not keep it anyway?

Things like that really annoy me in films. It happens all the time.
Thu 19/02/04 at 13:29
Regular
"They Call Her 1 Eye"
Pandaemonium wrote:
> * We’d have a “why are the dead returning to life” speech between
> characters, or possibly a sky news personality doing the same.

That was in 28 Days later when they were explaining to the guy why people were acting that way.

> * We’d have scenes of urban panic
Everyone else had turned or evacuted but those who were there running through the city from rage victims looked pretty panicked to me.

> * We’d have a shock “spring loaded cat” moment as the first Zombie is
> introduced

When he hit the priest that more or less counts.

> * We’ll have a main character killing previously bitten character and
> feeling guilty about it, but it was their duty

That happens when the guy gets cut and she hacks him to bits.

> * We’ll have a nihilistic ending
If only I could remember the end of it. I'd place money it's near enough the same though.
Thu 19/02/04 at 13:23
Regular
"They Call Her 1 Eye"
Pandaemonium wrote:
> Its a modern spin on the idea.

Exactly that's all it is. They basically decided Zombies weren't deadly enough for this fast paced horror movie so they took away all the weaknesses of Zombies which you have mentioned in an attempted to make them a lot scarrier. It's exceedingly unoriginal when you think about it. Take a powerful enemy like one that is already dead and take away it achille's heel. Oh that's hard to do. And while your at it why don't you increase all it's other deadly powers like instead of infecting them gradually becoming a zombie, do it in a matter of seconds! God they must have pulled an all nighter thinking up that one.
Thu 19/02/04 at 13:16
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Expanding a little on "28 Days Later" lets think about what we could have expected if the movie featured “traditional” zombies.

* We’d have a “why are the dead returning to life” speech between characters, or possibly a sky news personality doing the same.
* We’d have scenes of urban panic
* We’d have a shock “spring loaded cat” moment as the first Zombie is introduced
* We’d have a main character bitten, which then proceeds to cover the wound (A la “Blade 2”, although that was strictly a vampire movie, the Reapers could be considered zombie vamps)
* We’ll have a “Will they wont they turn?” segment
* We’ll have a main character killing previously bitten character and feeling guilty about it, but it was their duty
* We’ll have a nihilistic ending

All of these themes are in “28 days later”, but since “Infected” are used and not traditional zombies, they appear, but in a distorted and fresh way. It’s not original by any stretch of the imagination, but it offers far more bang for your bucks IMHO.

I’ve recently watched “Wrong Turn” If this is the best Hollywood can do, I’ll stick with Boyle and Garlands low budget English visions thank you.

The only thing I wished they had changed is keeping the original “hospital” ending of the movie, where Jim dies, and Selena and Hanna leave.

Speaking of Boyle.
“After the success of 28 Days Later, fans wondered what project was next for the duo. Writer Garland and director Boyle are set to work their magic on the new film Sunshine.
The film will revolve around 4 men transporting explosives without having precautionary equipment. Garland penned the script using the same plot as the 1953 French thriller The Wages Of Fear... except the remake will be based in space, not South America.
Plot sounds good, even though there’s no zombies or junkies. The fact that Garland and Boyle are working together has me eager to see how this project turns out. Production starts at the end of 2004, probably after Boyle finishes up Worcester Cold Storage, the catastrophic account of a raging inferno in a working-class New England town.”
Both sound interesting.

Phew. There goes my lunch break.
Thu 19/02/04 at 12:59
Regular
"Notable"
Amen Panda.
Thu 19/02/04 at 12:56
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Cub!st wrote:
> I saw it once on DVD a fair wee while back but I thought it was more
> or less good just I wish they didn't try to be original with the
> whole Zombie thing. "They're rage victims!" no they're
> quite clearly zombies "Rage..." Zombies. BAH! Just because
> they change the name and say they aren't dead they think it's soooo
> original despite the fact they look exactly the same as Zombies.

Apart from the fact they are *not* dead, they move quickly, they don't need their heads cut off to be killed, they infect someone in a matter of seconds etc etc etc.

Don't get confused between "28 Days Later" being a genre movie that sits quite happily in the zombie genre with the main protagonists being "Zombies". Its a modern spin on the idea. I personally thought it was good BECAUSE they tried to be a little more imaginative with the creatures. The shambling zombie ("Just hurryup willya") is a cliche now, and the remake of "Dawn of the Dead" has similar fast moving zombies. The difference here being that the creatures in the Dawn remake ARE zombies.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.