GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Simple Question (on Fans and Heatsinks)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/02/04 at 13:21
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
I'm planning to get a Barton XP2800+ cpu OEM, I have about £20 to spend- what's the best CPU fan and Heatsink I could get for it at this price?

After all, I like my games, meanibng stressful loads, and I don't want it overheating- I like an nice cool PC! :D
Tue 17/02/04 at 18:57
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
Turbonutter wrote:
> You have to remember that under 90c is perfectly acceptable for a
> non-overclocked system - and that the Aero7 is not a quiet setup.
>
> I used to run my old Palomino chip at 80c and it was fine.
>
> It's all down to what you can afford - just get the best cooling you
> can for the money you have - and the Aero7 will never be the best
> cooling, whatever money you have.
>
> The key is, a more efficient heatsink equals less noise and better
> all round enjoyment. The Aero7 is not an efficient heatsink.

What would you recommend? Preferably I'd prefer a heatsink AND fan... and I'm not so worried about SOME nosie as I'm not buying and overtly expensive case and I'd imagine the power supply included will be fairly noisy!
Sun 15/02/04 at 23:44
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
You have to remember that under 90c is perfectly acceptable for a non-overclocked system - and that the Aero7 is not a quiet setup.

I used to run my old Palomino chip at 80c and it was fine.

It's all down to what you can afford - just get the best cooling you can for the money you have - and the Aero7 will never be the best cooling, whatever money you have.

The key is, a more efficient heatsink equals less noise and better all round enjoyment. The Aero7 is not an efficient heatsink.
Sun 15/02/04 at 21:25
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
cookie monster wrote:
> Get a Cooler Master aero 4 lite and a tube of arctic silver 5.
>
> Keeps my 2500+ @ 3200+ speeds at 50° at full load.

Judging by this example I'd hazard a guess that the CoolerMaster Aero7 Lite and some artic silver 5 heat conductive gunk would keep my XP2800+ running at stock speeds, at nicely under 50 at full load, seeing as your overclocked 2500 stays at 50.
Sun 15/02/04 at 21:15
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
I didn't really think it was worth bothering with the AMD XP2800+ (barton) retail fan and heatsink, although extra opinions from you would be nice.

Also, does anyone know anything about the AKASA fans, as I've heard some good things about them, but extra opinions would help to verify or disclaim this.
Wed 11/02/04 at 22:08
Regular
Agreed, I have a coppper one running of a P4 2.8gig system which is not overclocked and is always on, i have it running on silent and believe be it is nearly silent and my temps under load are about 50 degrees max, but when i used to overclock this chip to 3.6gig i needed better cooling so used water cooling. your best option would be to find some heatinsk and fans you like and go googling for some more info on them with some stats.

Colin
Wed 11/02/04 at 19:19
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
For the money they are okay, but cooling-wise they're never better than enough.
Wed 11/02/04 at 19:07
Regular
The Zalman HSF are pretty good as they have a lot of surface area on the fins, not to good if you want to overclock though.

Colin
Wed 11/02/04 at 19:03
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
However the fluid pressure is approaching zero and the heatsink is an inefficient design.

I don't recommend any Zalman products, except for their graphics card cooler.
Wed 11/02/04 at 16:41
Regular
"Digging!"
I would advise a Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu Ultra-Quiet CPU Cooler (£25 odd) or a Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu Ultra-Quiet CPU Cooler (£30 odd), as they are pretty much silent, and have a high air flow because of the 92mm fan.
Wed 11/02/04 at 07:56
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
However, you can equally obtain adequate cooling with a quieter fan.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.