GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Simple Question (on Fans and Heatsinks)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/02/04 at 13:21
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
I'm planning to get a Barton XP2800+ cpu OEM, I have about £20 to spend- what's the best CPU fan and Heatsink I could get for it at this price?

After all, I like my games, meanibng stressful loads, and I don't want it overheating- I like an nice cool PC! :D
Fri 20/02/04 at 23:10
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
SHC is only a temporary measure however. In the long run it's only thermal conductivity that counts. SHC only absorbs quick changes in temperature.
Fri 20/02/04 at 02:22
"I love yo... lamp."
Aluminium has a far higher heat capacity than copper does. So it takes a lot more heat to warm the entire mass up by one degree. Aluminium doesn't get as hot easily.

However because copper can conduct the heat away quicker from the die to the fan side of the heatsink then generally things can be kept as cool.
Thu 19/02/04 at 20:07
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I live near a Shinetsu factory.

True story.
Thu 19/02/04 at 12:54
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
UrkiE-UK wrote:
> Hmmm, I'm considering getting a Jet 7 CPU Fan from SR.
> Having said that, when I pop the stock fan off the CPU, it'll
> probably leave half of it's pink thermal pad behind in a gooey mess,
> will it? If so, does it need to be repaired before I plop a Jet 7 on
> it?

You should really. Isopropyl alcohol should bring this off.

> Because i've read that sometimes a faulty installation could
> occur where the heatsink isn't quite all touching the CPU.

Hum that's noy really possible unless you're really moronic, but you would be well advised to get rid of the thermal pad and put on some Artic Silver or Shin Etsu.
Thu 19/02/04 at 10:27
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
UrkiE-UK wrote:
> Two reasons why I should, anyway. The Price is nothing, but i'm not
> hardcore enough to get Watercooling.

You know water cooling doesnt have to be expensive. Im looking at making my own water cooling set up for about £70, im just looking at cooling the cpu mind.

> Having said that, when I pop the stock fan off the CPU, it'll
> probably leave half of it's pink thermal pad behind in a gooey mess,
> will it? If so, does it need to be repaired before I plop a Jet 7 on
> it? Because i've read that sometimes a faulty installation could
> occur where the heatsink isn't quite all touching the CPU.
>
> Advice?

Well when you take off the stock heatsink there will undoubtedly be some remains of the thermal pad on the core, what you need is some isopropyl alcohol, or acetone free nail varnish remover and a lint free cloth to remove it. After you have removed it, it will have to be replaced by another thermal compund. Arctic silver 5 is about the best you can buy.
Thu 19/02/04 at 10:23
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Turbonutter wrote:
> There could be any number of reasons for that. Have any of them
> specifically cited the aluminium fins as a reason?

Yes.

> Can I have a link?

No.

:)
Thu 19/02/04 at 09:24
Regular
Hmmm, I'm considering getting a Jet 7 CPU Fan from SR.

I have very good recommendations from a friend, And the description says there are LED's on it aswell - would look good in a modded case.

Two reasons why I should, anyway. The Price is nothing, but i'm not hardcore enough to get Watercooling.

Having said that, when I pop the stock fan off the CPU, it'll probably leave half of it's pink thermal pad behind in a gooey mess, will it? If so, does it need to be repaired before I plop a Jet 7 on it? Because i've read that sometimes a faulty installation could occur where the heatsink isn't quite all touching the CPU.

Advice?
Wed 18/02/04 at 21:24
Regular
There seems to be a lot of apologizing in this thread between Turbo-lag-nuttah and biscuit fiend.
Wed 18/02/04 at 18:12
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
There could be any number of reasons for that. Have any of them specifically cited the aluminium fins as a reason? Can I have a link?
Wed 18/02/04 at 15:50
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Turbonutter wrote:
> No mate increasing the thermal conductivity of your material always
> yield faster surface heat transfer. It's because dH at the surface is
> always higher because the lost energy is being replaced faster.
> There's no way aluminium fins can be more effective than copper fins,
> I'm sorry.

Im sorry, but ive read numerous articles which have shown that the aero 4 lite cools better than the aero 7+ (pure copper heatsink).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.