GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I remember."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 08/02/04 at 14:57
Regular
"That's right!"
When everyone knew how to use DOS, because they had to.
When Windows 3.1 came as standard.
When soundcards were sold seperately from PCs.
When games were no more than 2mb each.
When all game music was midi.
When 500mb of hard drive space was enough.
When 8mb of RAM was too much.
When Windows Media Player couldn't play MP3s.
When Voodoo cards ruled the nest.
When saying "Are you gay?" and making a unit say "Yes" in Warcraft was a fully original and humerous idea.
When 800 by 600 was a high resolution.
When CD burners were brand new, cost more than a car and could only write at x4 speed.
When being able to jump and crouch in Dark Forces was a big deal.
And when being born in the 80s meant you were young.

Just had to get that off my chest. I feel old.
Tue 10/02/04 at 16:08
Regular
"Monochromatic"
i remember when memory card's didnt exist,and games would last longer than a couple of days.
couldnt have completed final fantasy 7 without one though.
back when life was simple and you made the most of your free time,because you didnt have much of it.
i also feel old.
Tue 10/02/04 at 15:59
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
£287 for a Playstation on launch day with three games. Queued outside Toys R Us with about 200 other people with my dad for several hours. It didn't half rain...
Tue 10/02/04 at 00:40
Regular
"Twenty quid."
I remember paying £400 for my BBC Micro with 32Kb of memory ...
I remember paying £125 for a floppy disc drive for it ...
I remember floppy discs when they *were* floppy and were 5 and 1/4 inches across ...
I remember paying £800 for my Amiga 1200 which included 6Mb of RAM and an 80Mb hard drive ...
I remember paying £70 for a 16bit sound card ...
I remember paying £40 for a 1Mb chip to add to my Diamond Stealth graphics card ...
I remember paying £125 for a six-speed CD drive ...
I remember buying a Pentium processor that ran at 90MHz ...
Sun 08/02/04 at 21:44
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
That was one slight flaw in the game, depending on sheer luck and chance you could get some tech early, late or never. Once, my first mission was against those grey type aliens and they have heavy plasma guns (this was the first mission), half the team was wiped out but I got both of them, researched the weapons and clips, and my team had a massive advantage for a good period of the game.

Of course the flip side is you being mind shield less...
Sun 08/02/04 at 21:30
I already use most of those tactics... I employ a team of ten with a heavy platform rocket launcher, split into three teams of 4, 3, and 3 with HP. Two are armed with rockets, the rest with heavy plasmas. I use auto shot before each turn.

For this mission though, I'm approaching the downed medium sized UFO, and there are about 3 ethereals, on the next turn, eho manage to mind control my soldiers. I've used the reload trick (every time you load the game, the events may occur differently) but this time there are too many who get controlled. I really do need those mind shields.
Sun 08/02/04 at 21:22
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Er, mindshields Icarus? I remember that you could pick these up at certain UFO crash sites and during those invasion type things, once reasearched, along with other items, you can manufacture them.

Other than that keep your team members a little distance from each other in case one gets taken over and blasts the closest one, leave action points spare for snap shots, and tool everyone up as much as possible. And use those weapon platform things.

It is years since I played this but I think I'll have to dig it out...my PC copy actually came from SR Notts!
Sun 08/02/04 at 21:21
Hmm, they won't work. Don't think I haven't tried.
Sun 08/02/04 at 21:15
Regular
"That's right!"
Get a trainer. They always helped me.
Sun 08/02/04 at 21:15
UFO Enemy Unknown
Terror from the Deep
Apocalypse
Interceptor
XCOM Email

and also Enforcer, which was a cruddy FPS
Sun 08/02/04 at 21:14
Bah, it was SkyRANGER.

I don't think I've got round to researching the different UFOs... I'm just ocncentrating on the other areas, namely the New fighter-transporter at the moment. And I'm currently getting slaughtered by the mind controlling ethreal dudes... but can't research anything that will help me counter their mind control.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.