GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 hard drive to hold 100Mb a second interface for broadband play!!? is this true???"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/03/01 at 10:24
Regular
i red today that the ps 2 hardrive will have a 40Gb capacity and will be able to to cleanly stream data from broad band networks at 100Mb a second!!!!

thats fast!!

lets hope its true coz high pings and lag wil be a thing of the past!!!
Fri 30/03/01 at 10:11
I'd say it would be 100Mbit as well. A lot of our customers with national networks don't even have that. 100Mbyte would be like something falling off a shovel.....
Fri 30/03/01 at 09:34
"High polygon count"
Most likely it's a 100Mbit Ethernet card.
Fri 30/03/01 at 08:16
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I didnt think it was 100 Mega bytes. I know all about the Mega byte convervisions to Mega bits as I do A - Level computing. I normally use Mega Bytes for internet speeds. Things like network cards use Mega bits but both mega bits and mega bytes use MB which can be confusing.
Thu 29/03/01 at 23:48
"High polygon count"
100Mb/sec is the rate that has been given in numerous sources, but just what the 'Mb' stands for hasn't been mentioned. Megabytes? Doubtful. Megabits? Possible. Something else? Maybe.

I suspect we'll just have to wait and see exactly how quick it is. Of course, even if it is 'megabytes', that would have to be classed as future-proofing; just because it could go that fast doesn't mean you'll be able to get full speed out of it on current networks.

It'll certainly be better than a modem though!
Thu 29/03/01 at 23:25
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
100mb/sec? not quite...To clarify, 1Mbyte = 8Mbits, so 100mb/sec is effectively 800mbits/sec, or around 6 x the speed of T3, which tends to be £6000+ a month. Another comparison, BT's fastest ADSL service (2mbits/sec) is £500 a month, and that's 1/400th of the supposed ps2 modem speed...
Thu 29/03/01 at 16:34
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
When you say 100Mb are you talking in Mega Bit or Mega Byte. As ff it was Mega Byte that would be very fast as 56k Modems only go at 0.005Mb(Mega Bytes) a second. With the BT broadband and NTL they offer around 10 times faster than a 56k modem. BT do offer a higher speed but that is more expensive and for Businesses.
Thu 29/03/01 at 14:56
I'd switch to it, but where I live we can't have cables laid. So until BT drops it's ADSL price, or I move, I think I'm stuffed. Unless anyone else knows any better?
Thu 29/03/01 at 14:13
"High polygon count"
£39.99 a month??? What a rip-off! Meka - tell your bosses they're rip-off merchants!

NTL is £19.99 a month for permanent, always-on net access.

Not available everywhere, but a much more acceptable price. I'll be switching to it later this year, after my holiday.
Thu 29/03/01 at 13:21
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
BT are doing broadband at a cost of £39.99 a month, that price includes unlimited internet access.
Thu 29/03/01 at 12:41
so if thats the case what do we do? how many spondoolies will it cost us

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.