GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 hard drive to hold 100Mb a second interface for broadband play!!? is this true???"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/03/01 at 10:24
Regular
i red today that the ps 2 hardrive will have a 40Gb capacity and will be able to to cleanly stream data from broad band networks at 100Mb a second!!!!

thats fast!!

lets hope its true coz high pings and lag wil be a thing of the past!!!
Thu 29/03/01 at 10:24
i red today that the ps 2 hardrive will have a 40Gb capacity and will be able to to cleanly stream data from broad band networks at 100Mb a second!!!!

thats fast!!

lets hope its true coz high pings and lag wil be a thing of the past!!!
Thu 29/03/01 at 10:32
"High polygon count"
It is true, yes.

Lag etc. may still be present, though not as noticeable as on a modem. After all, it depends as much on server speed as it does on connection speed.

The unit should be available in Japan around June/July, and is due for release here by the end of the year.
Thu 29/03/01 at 10:39
Lets hope they give us the same deal as the Japanese and the US, and not rip us off with a slower modem (like Sega) or give us a smaller HD.
Thu 29/03/01 at 11:18
This may sound awesome, but can you use it on a convertional phone line? I'm pretty sure i read somewhere you need to get you phone line updated to use broadband!

Anyone know?
Thu 29/03/01 at 12:23
"High polygon count"
Unless they supply some kind of converter, you will not be able to use it on a conventional phoneline. Phonelines are simply not designed to handle that sort of capacity.

If it could work over a phoneline, everyone would already have it.
Thu 29/03/01 at 12:41
so if thats the case what do we do? how many spondoolies will it cost us
Thu 29/03/01 at 13:21
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
BT are doing broadband at a cost of £39.99 a month, that price includes unlimited internet access.
Thu 29/03/01 at 14:13
"High polygon count"
£39.99 a month??? What a rip-off! Meka - tell your bosses they're rip-off merchants!

NTL is £19.99 a month for permanent, always-on net access.

Not available everywhere, but a much more acceptable price. I'll be switching to it later this year, after my holiday.
Thu 29/03/01 at 14:56
I'd switch to it, but where I live we can't have cables laid. So until BT drops it's ADSL price, or I move, I think I'm stuffed. Unless anyone else knows any better?
Thu 29/03/01 at 16:34
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
When you say 100Mb are you talking in Mega Bit or Mega Byte. As ff it was Mega Byte that would be very fast as 56k Modems only go at 0.005Mb(Mega Bytes) a second. With the BT broadband and NTL they offer around 10 times faster than a 56k modem. BT do offer a higher speed but that is more expensive and for Businesses.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.