GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Higher Education Bill"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 27/01/04 at 18:35
Regular
"SOUP!"
Check out BBC Parliament - they're totally ragging each other to bits with their snidey words. "Those privatising vultures on the other bench" has to be the best quote so far.

On a more political level, the higher education bill will be voted on tonight- It if passes, those of us who plan on going to uni will end up being more so in debt and have to pay in advance too. If it isn't passed then we will not be as much in debt, but some universities will be shut down due to lack of funding - and some subjects such as medicine will be underfunded and have a lack of resources.

Labour want to put the bill through, but the conversatives dont, and nobody invited the Lib Dems to the conference.

The vote is at 7pm, and results will be accounced at about 8 I think.

Personally I hope it doesn't pass, but the labour argument seems to be strong, and they have more seats than the conservatives. The only real way the bill cannot pass is if all the conservatives vote against the bill, and a fair share of the labour MPs vote against their own bill too.

Tue 27/01/04 at 18:35
Regular
"SOUP!"
Check out BBC Parliament - they're totally ragging each other to bits with their snidey words. "Those privatising vultures on the other bench" has to be the best quote so far.

On a more political level, the higher education bill will be voted on tonight- It if passes, those of us who plan on going to uni will end up being more so in debt and have to pay in advance too. If it isn't passed then we will not be as much in debt, but some universities will be shut down due to lack of funding - and some subjects such as medicine will be underfunded and have a lack of resources.

Labour want to put the bill through, but the conversatives dont, and nobody invited the Lib Dems to the conference.

The vote is at 7pm, and results will be accounced at about 8 I think.

Personally I hope it doesn't pass, but the labour argument seems to be strong, and they have more seats than the conservatives. The only real way the bill cannot pass is if all the conservatives vote against the bill, and a fair share of the labour MPs vote against their own bill too.

Tue 27/01/04 at 18:46
Regular
It's an interesting dilema for those labour mps.
Be loyal to your party's leader or be loyal to your conscience and electorate.

They folded on foundation hospitals, realistically I expect them to fold again - enough of them at least. But there's always hope. Well, not always, but for another hour or so :^)
Tue 27/01/04 at 18:48
Regular
"Colourless"
I think my year will be the first affected by it, if the top-up fee notion goes through. So for my sake, I hope they vote against it.
Tue 27/01/04 at 18:57
I'm watching it live via webcast now. Such a wonderful BB connection...

Hmm, the guy arguing the case for is mentioning some incentives for the poor that I've never heard of before. To be fair, the top up fees will be hurting the middle class the most, not the poor.
Tue 27/01/04 at 18:58
And I'm actually for the top up fees by the way. Think of it practically and everyone would do the same.
Tue 27/01/04 at 19:11
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
I'm watching via BBC broadband stream as well, it'll probably pass but I hope it does not. Even for poor students it is only a kind of help. £3000 grant a year BUT that amount does not cover all expenses anyway and they will be hit by higher tuition fees which accumulate over the 3 years, along with interest for a total of about 15K. They then leave uni and face higher repayments when they start work. If you end up in a job paying about 20K you'll be paying back for ages and ages.

Under this system I leave uni with a debt of around 10K, under the new one it would be 15K (I worked it out). So tell me anyone, how would anyone in the same situation as me be better off? Because they are £5000 down. Hmmm
Tue 27/01/04 at 19:21
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Win by 5 votes.

Celebrate children, Mr Blair just sold your higher education out...

This country well and truly sucks.
Tue 27/01/04 at 19:21
Wow, they won by 5.
Tue 27/01/04 at 19:31
Regular
"SOUP!"
My screen name well and truly sums up how I feel now.
Tue 27/01/04 at 21:33
Regular
"Proffesional Eejit."
Arn't the government supposed to be offerering money for students? And if you actually get a job worth diddly squat, you can repay them? If you get a bad job, you don't necassairily(sp?) have to pay? That's what I understand.

(and my mum said that, an' she's always roit)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.