GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Time Travelling."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 23/01/04 at 13:08
"I am Lord Voldemort"
It has been a topic of discussion in this forums of late, and I would like to know if it is really possible to do so. I am a student, and if you are a student too, do post your age (if you wish) and your grade while replying.
Tue 27/01/04 at 18:51
Regular
"Colourless"
Anyone seen Donnie Darko?
Tue 27/01/04 at 14:33
Regular
I have avery reliable freezer thanks. Just pay me £10,000 and I'll put a memo up to thaw you out whenever you want.

:-)
Tue 27/01/04 at 14:23
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Your Honour wrote:
> It is possible to travel forwards in time. Simply cryogenically freeze
> yourself now, with instructions to be thawed out in the required
> year.

Wow, I didn't realise they had perfected this technology / technique. Wouldn't it suck to get 100 years into the future and find that your brain has turned to mush due to cell walls bursting during the freezin process ;)
Tue 27/01/04 at 14:05
Regular
It is possible to travel forwards in time. Simply cryogenically freeze yourself now, with instructions to be thawed out in the required year. When you are thawed out in, say, 100 years time your body will still seem the age that it is now (2004), so from your point of view you will have traveled forward in time. From everyone else's, you'll be stuck in an ice cube for 100 years....
Tue 27/01/04 at 13:57
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Man, I love this. It's like you're all arguing about whether it's possible and the paradoxes it would creat, and 99.9% of you are getting all your proven theories from episodes of Star Trek and the like...
Sun 25/01/04 at 14:16
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/ generalscience/faster_than_c_000719.html
Sun 25/01/04 at 13:24
Regular
"smile, it's free"
It has not been proven impossible to travel faster than light. It's only been proved impossible to break the speed of light barrier.

Theoretically, if something were to come into existence already travelling faster than light, there's no reason why it should not continue to do so.
Sun 25/01/04 at 12:26
Regular
"Bond - James Bond"
Lindgren wrote:
> Here's a little time travel question and answer thingy for you:
>
> An alien aged 20 earth years falls in love with a 20 year old on
> earth. After 1 year (spaceship time) the alien sends a message
> (radio) to the 20 year old earthling.
>
> Q: How old is the eartling when the message arrives?
>
> A: proper time interval = 1 year
> however accounting for the speed of light taken as .998 times the
> speed of light as it is impossible to get exactly to 1, the earth
> years passed for each spaceship year is 15.82 years!
>
> That means the 20 year old earthling is 35.82 years when the message
> is sent.
>
> The radio signal travels at the speed of light. So the distance it
> travels is .998 multiplied by 15.82 years = 15.79 years, thats how
> long the message takes to get to earth.
>
> Therefore the 20 year old earthling is 20years + 15.82years
> +15.79years
>
> = approx. 51 years old!

Yes, but some of it is very confusing.
Sun 25/01/04 at 12:20
Regular
"Bond - James Bond"
Socks D Snake wrote:
> Did anyone see the documentary about this?
>
> A very long and interesting one.
>
> According to it some have already traveled forward in time in a space
> flight-but being a few seconds it was of not much importance.

Should be milli-seconds, isn't it?
Sun 25/01/04 at 12:19
Regular
"Bond - James Bond"
Jackus wrote:
> Muh, you guys are really wrong (probably)
>
> Time travel is perfectly possible to be invented, because anything
> that has happened, stays happened. If someone goes back in time to
> stop jesus being crusified, they will proably end up giving him in
> without knowing it. Or if they went back to shoot hitler, they would
> screw up and become part of something else, most likely.
>
> It is impossible to change history.
>
> Besides which, logically, if future humans can time travel, surely
> future-future humans would go back in time to stop them anyway.

Yes, it is true that one can travel thorugh time. One thing to be noted here is that the travel is only relative.
According to Einstein, speed, velocity, direction, motion and even time are not absolute physical quantities but relative quantities thta can only be measure in comparison with another object. Now, what does he say in relativity is that, as the speed of a body increases, the speed of time decreases for the body in comparison to, say Earth. Consider that the body is you, and if you happened to travel by a super-sonic aircraft at-least once, then you are probabaly 0.002 mili-seconds in future. Putting it another way, you are 0.002 mili-seconds younger than a person who was born on the same time (with no difference, not even a nano-second) as you.

So you see, time-travelling is actualy possible and it is not a fantasy. Although, time travel, as we imagine it is not at all possible - at least for now. You can not go into the future like 2500 a.d. or something like that and then return back to 2004. But it is possible to go to 2500 a.d. though, that is by increasing your speed, like 99% or 99.99% or 99.99999% of light. Onething to be noted here is that, time will only RELATIVELY become slow for you. Even the messages that are sent and recieved through the nervous system would be slowed down - every bio-chemi-physical proccess would slow down and thus you will feel that time is going at the same pace as ever before, but if you would look outside your spaceship (you would probabaly travelling in space, if you want to reach speeds of 99% that of light), you will see stars being created and new galaxies being formed at an ultra-fast rate.

Summing it up, you are able to venture the future by keeping yourself younger compared to the world. But you would not be able to travel back to the past of then, (the present)

In the essence of this post, I want to say that time-travelling (or atleast slowing down time) to venture the future is possible, but you cannot go to past and none of the current theories tell you of a way so that you may go into past, (except the Relativity which tells you that by accelarting to a velocity greater than that of light you can travel into past - but here again it would only be relative. That is your age would increase rapidly in comparison to the earth.).

This question would be better understood by consulting books and articles.
-------------------------
Grade/year/standard - 9th
Age - 14 and a half.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.