GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Future Of Gaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 27/03/01 at 13:11
Regular
Nice, original title there, but I guess it's appropriate!

According to the reports of those that have played the demo, Metal Gear Solid 2 is looking very fine indeed.

What strikes me about the comments though, is the large variety of things you can do. Just looking at the thread "How do you kill yours" in the PS2 forum lists dozens of different things. Point a gun at them from close range, they'll put their hands up. Shoot them in the leg, and they won't stand on it. You can look in lockers, and hide bodies in them. You can hit your head on the locker doors if you're daft enough to try to get too close to a picture in one of the lockers ;-).

Now all of this got me thinking. It seems so much more involved than anything previously seen. I guess that the only limitation of the demo is that you're stuck within the boundaries of the ship.

But as time goes by, things will improve. The developers won't have to create levels that confine the players to such small areas, and I'm sure other levels of MGS2 will be much larger, this was after all, only the first level.

There are other improvements that can be made too, a shot in each leg, and one in the hand shouldn't kill a man, you should be able to torture them more before they die!

You should be able to pick up all objects, and have a good look at them. If they're useful, take them.

I'm not saying games should become ultra realistic, but it would be nice if advancements where made that made your character more versatile in attack, and more manouverable. The landscape should become more interactive. If you're walking through a grassy field in the morning, your shoes should get wet, and you should be able to pull up some of the grass. There should be realistic cloud movement, with it darkening, and breaking into rain. Your characters hair, or fur, should move in the wind, and after a bit of a run, or a fight, they should sweat, and look a little out of breath.

Games are going to keep on moving to new levels and I think the next step is development of what the characters can do, and their interaction with the environment around them. There are currently many barriers in these areas, but it looks like games such as Metal Gear Solid 2 will help to break these down.
Wed 28/03/01 at 15:20
Regular
Dont Start That Again!!!!!!
Wed 28/03/01 at 15:15
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I really love those tiger feet.

Sweet Jesus, I'm going downhill faster and faster until I am out of control and.....

SMASH

Goatboy is stopped by the barrier and wall of sanity and good taste.

Phew, almost broke through there.

Don't want to break my monkey.
Wed 28/03/01 at 14:50
Regular
"What noise do tigers make? You're a TIGER!"

*Beware of voices......*
Wed 28/03/01 at 14:47
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
yes that's right.

Black and White.

And monkey spanking...nonononono...must stop...voices...in...head

I will raise a benevolent chimp.

And spank him purple

No, did it again.

Please help me
Wed 28/03/01 at 14:28
Regular
What do you mean goatboy? I thought we were discussing features of Black & White.

:-)
Wed 28/03/01 at 14:25
Meka Wrote:

There are other improvements that can be made too, a shot in each leg, and one in the hand shouldn't kill a man, you should be able to torture them more before they die!

In Reply:

Did you play Cannon Fodder as a child!
Wed 28/03/01 at 14:16
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
That could be amusing.

Many, many strangers all spanking monkeys in a big circle.

I'm going to stop now, this is going somewhere I wont visit during daylight hours.
Wed 28/03/01 at 14:02
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I'm dreading the multi-player mode...
Wed 28/03/01 at 13:58
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Let me try one last time to clarify:

I will spank my monkey if it acts with a mind of it's own

I will not spank my monkey if it interacts well with the female villagers

I will spank my monkey if it is faced with a cow and does not stand upright and react with swift and brutal force

I will not spank my monkey if it spends all day asleep thinking of nice things

I will spank my monkey if it cannot perform simple tasks on command

--------

I'm on a loser here.
No Gameaday for me with this thread I think.
Curses
Wed 28/03/01 at 13:48
Regular
Keep digging mate! You can borrow my JCB if you want.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.