GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Linux and my laptop"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 18/01/04 at 20:50
Regular
Yo

This is for all you linux buffs, Basically i am going to install windows xp on my lappie (Acer travelmate, celeron 2.4, 256mbDDR, 30gb hdd) as i can't stand all the little applicaitions that acer put on there recovery disks so im going to use an OEM windows XP, anyway before i do this i want to have a little look at linux but am unsure if i woudl be able to get all the drivers and am also unsure what linux to use i have with me at the moment Red hat and lindows but can get anything else, what would you guys suggest.

Cheers

COlin
Tue 20/01/04 at 16:40
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yeah sure.
Tue 20/01/04 at 11:53
Regular
How does linux do with Divx as i might install it on my media machine.

Colin
Tue 20/01/04 at 10:49
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
To be honest I couldn't live without either of my Windows or Linux computers. They both have their uses.
Tue 20/01/04 at 10:34
Regular
Unfortuanatly it's true, Windows does have its benefits.

Still. I'm writing this using gentoo and my system is running pretty smooth right now.
Mon 19/01/04 at 23:19
Regular
"bing bang bong"
As you can see, the best option is to stick with Windows :O(
Mon 19/01/04 at 21:28
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
If you stray from Mandrake's world and try to do anything useful it breaks really horribly. Also when it does break it's stupidly difficult to fix, no matter how experienced you are.
Mon 19/01/04 at 19:32
Regular
Mandrake just installs the OS and your logged in straight away.

If your new to linux its like "So.....what do I do now?" and you know nothing.
Mon 19/01/04 at 19:03
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Icarus wrote:
> Red Hat's the easiest to get to grips with, therefore should be first
> trying out, especially on a laptop. Once that's done, you could
> always install a different distro (Debian or Gentoo it looks like)
> over it.

NO IGNORE WHAT THIS MAN SAYS. Try Mandrake or RedHat will only, ONLY serve to put you off linux forever. It nearly happened to me and it took a lot for me to try Debian after the nightmare of those distributions.

You're best off try Debian first and then Gentoo when you get a bit of experience.
Mon 19/01/04 at 18:52
It won't take up too much time either.
Mon 19/01/04 at 18:52
Red Hat's the easiest to get to grips with, therefore should be first trying out, especially on a laptop. Once that's done, you could always install a different distro (Debian or Gentoo it looks like) over it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.