GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So I read 'I am Legend'..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 18/01/04 at 13:44
Regular
"not dead"
After it was recommended by Goatboy, then countless others, I asked someone to get it for me for Christmas.

It'a a really good read, and has aged incredibly well. Can see that it has been hugely influential. I really enjoyed the way he tried to research the problem (why crosses don't always work), and all of the stuff on isolation (urges, drinking, desparation) was fantastic...

Anyway, I'd heard that there was a script doing the rounds, even though it's already been adapted as a film twice. (I've not seen either version, but The Omega Man is on Sky Cinema on the 29th or something - apparently it's not that good, but it'll be interesting to see).

So I found this script at http://www.vampiremovies.co.uk/scripts.htm and it's awful. I'm not sure if this is the one that Arnols Schwarzaneggar was at one time attached to, or even the one that's been linked to Michael Bay and Will Smith, or if it's completely separate but, the few pages I read of it are absolutely awful.

Okay SPOILERS ahead!

It's set in 2002, and the vampires come about thanks to a scientificly develop virus that is supposed ot heal the body. I didn't read far enough to see if there is any mention of real vampires, but if not, that's crap.

Ben Cortman, the vampire that Robert Neville hunts for fun because he used to know him, the pathetic character that looks like Oliver Hardy - in this script he is the king of the vampires.

The ending has Robert saving a bunch of kids on a train, letting Cortman sink into sand, and getting the girl.

Nooooooooooooo! That is so not what the story was about! To have any kind of happy ending whatsoever completey ruins it!
Fri 30/01/04 at 12:27
Regular
The book, I mean.

:)
Fri 30/01/04 at 12:27
Regular
Know where I can buy this, other than online?

The local bookshop don't have it, neither does WH Smith. *Could* try Borders, any other ideas?
Fri 30/01/04 at 10:26
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Meka Dragon wrote:
> Okay, I had a quick look anyway, and it is that damn script that I saw
> a week or two ago. It's awful, just so wrong. I want Ben Cortman to
> be the Oliver Hardy charcater he is in the book, with Robert hunting
> him for sport, and feelign kinda sorry for him. I want there to be no
> other humans at all, I want it to be vampires that are the cause, not
> biological war, I want to feel something when I want the movie, I
> don't want action hero dialogue and confrontations with the big evil
> bad guy.

I just can't see wisecracking "I'm the man" Smith being Neville, as his witty one liners would HAVE to be written into the script. Neville needs to be a sad and lonely figure, just one step ahead of giving up.

As much as I love the book, I just don't think it would work as a movie, being as it is two people for the most part playing cat and mouse. A stage version of the book would work great, but by its very nature, dialogue would be light.

A "re-imagining" (I HATE that word) of the book would have to be undertaken for a big screen version, but as long as respect was shown to the source material and the writer was a lover of the original, I feel it could work.

Still, that Protosevitch *is* appalling, and if that’s going to be the standard, Hollywood should leave it alone.

But of course, the lure of the big bucks beckon………….
Fri 30/01/04 at 10:18
Regular
"not dead"
Okay, I had a quick look anyway, and it is that damn script that I saw a week or two ago. It's awful, just so wrong. I want Ben Cortman to be the Oliver Hardy charcater he is in the book, with Robert hunting him for sport, and feelign kinda sorry for him. I want there to be no other humans at all, I want it to be vampires that are the cause, not biological war, I want to feel something when I want the movie, I don't want action hero dialogue and confrontations with the big evil bad guy.
Fri 30/01/04 at 10:13
Regular
"not dead"
Will Smith I can handle. After Ali I have faith that he could do something more serious, but I doubt that Michael Bay would be wanting to film the book, with it's ending the way it is. I don't know if this is the same script that I glanced at the other day (and I'mnot looking now, my internet connection is almost sooo slow at home, get used to LAN speeds at work.), but if so, with it's Ben Cortman is their King, and Robert saves all the little kiddies, then I'll vomit into a sock and whip Michael Bay in the eye with it.
Fri 30/01/04 at 10:06
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Meka Dragon wrote:
> Saw the Omega Man last night. God it was so bad, worse than I could
> possibly have imagined.

Oh its bad alright, but you may want to sit down for the news I'll be breaking to you now.

Sitting? Comfortable? Ok, lets begin .............

A new version, with a script similar to the Mark Protosevich one (www.godamongdirectors.com/ (space) scripts/legend.txt) is being optioned. It'll be a revised version, and rumors have been flying that: -

1) Robrt Neville will be played by Will Smith
2) The movie will be directed by Michael Bay

I'll give you a moment to let that sink in. Reread it if you want. I'll wait.

Does "The Omega Man" sound quite so bad now? ;)

What is it with Hollywood and them raping perfectly good source material? "John Constantine : Hellblazer" is my next favorite that will receive the ball gag and be bent over the gym horse by Ving Rhames.............................
Fri 30/01/04 at 09:57
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
slice wrote:
> i dont like books

therefore you will end up a muppet.
Fri 30/01/04 at 09:52
Regular
"not dead"
Saw the Omega Man last night. God it was so bad, worse than I could possibly have imagined.

Anthony Zorbe led the albinos? I could have sworn it was Jimmy Saville...

Did they actually bother to read the book at all? They had a lead character with the same name, but the cause and effect of the virus was completely different, there was zero on what happened to his family, and there were other genuine survivors.

Plus the whole thing didn't make sense, it took the boy several days to even start to turn, yet the woman went just like that. I was severely tempted to switch off though right at the start, when he whipped out the gun and started shooting at the windows.

If someone filmed the story of the book as it is, not as an action movie, just exploring the character of Robert Neville, how he goes about his daily business, his frustration with himself, his experiments, that would be fantastic, but to read the book and come up with 'The Omega Man'? That's just awful.
Sun 25/01/04 at 17:13
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Goatboy wrote:
> I'm currently re-reading "Flowers for Algernon", another
> classic by Daniel Keyes

A brilliant book.
Where are you up to?
Sun 25/01/04 at 16:54
Regular
"Hot Gun On Ma Waist"
i dont like books

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.