GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So I read 'I am Legend'..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 18/01/04 at 13:44
Regular
"not dead"
After it was recommended by Goatboy, then countless others, I asked someone to get it for me for Christmas.

It'a a really good read, and has aged incredibly well. Can see that it has been hugely influential. I really enjoyed the way he tried to research the problem (why crosses don't always work), and all of the stuff on isolation (urges, drinking, desparation) was fantastic...

Anyway, I'd heard that there was a script doing the rounds, even though it's already been adapted as a film twice. (I've not seen either version, but The Omega Man is on Sky Cinema on the 29th or something - apparently it's not that good, but it'll be interesting to see).

So I found this script at http://www.vampiremovies.co.uk/scripts.htm and it's awful. I'm not sure if this is the one that Arnols Schwarzaneggar was at one time attached to, or even the one that's been linked to Michael Bay and Will Smith, or if it's completely separate but, the few pages I read of it are absolutely awful.

Okay SPOILERS ahead!

It's set in 2002, and the vampires come about thanks to a scientificly develop virus that is supposed ot heal the body. I didn't read far enough to see if there is any mention of real vampires, but if not, that's crap.

Ben Cortman, the vampire that Robert Neville hunts for fun because he used to know him, the pathetic character that looks like Oliver Hardy - in this script he is the king of the vampires.

The ending has Robert saving a bunch of kids on a train, letting Cortman sink into sand, and getting the girl.

Nooooooooooooo! That is so not what the story was about! To have any kind of happy ending whatsoever completey ruins it!
Thu 05/02/04 at 08:47
Regular
"[UA] HAHA poo pants"
Good news, my copy has been dispatched.

nearly finished LOTR:TTT so I'll take a break before RotK and read this.
Thu 05/02/04 at 07:49
Regular
I just got my copy yesterday, £6.99 from Borders. Can't wait to start reading it, which will be tonight...
Wed 04/02/04 at 23:20
Regular
I finished reading it last night. I was only half way through but I had to read to the end. There were quite a few bits in it I had forgotten about, some of which were quite heart rending (I won't give any of it away). The ending was even better the second time around, the story is so well constructed, never have I read anything that captures the true feeling of isolation and claustrophobia as well as this.

The Omega Man was a complete Joke in comparison. I may pick up some more Richard Matheson books, I like his writing style.
Wed 04/02/04 at 23:19
Regular
"[UA] HAHA poo pants"
Good, I did not waste £9 then.
Wed 04/02/04 at 23:17
Regular
YES!
Wed 04/02/04 at 23:15
Regular
"[UA] HAHA poo pants"
http://www.whsmith.co.uk/WHS/Go.asp?isbn=1857988094&DB=220

Is this the one? I shall be upset if it isn't.
Mon 02/02/04 at 08:03
Regular
Well, I ordered the book on Saturday and should have it by Wednesday. I'm looking forward to reading this more than reading LoTR!
Fri 30/01/04 at 14:40
Regular
Meka Dragon wrote:
> I want it to be vampires that are the cause, not
> biological war, I want to feel something when I want the movie, I
> don't want action hero dialogue and confrontations with the big evil
> bad guy.

you know, in the book the cause was either chemical or biological war. I had forgotten, but was reminded last night when I was reading it. Mosquitos then spread the 'disease' all over the globe.

I always envisaged Robert Neville being played by someone like Anthony Hopkins (though he is getting a bit old for the role now). I am as yet undecided about who would play the psychotic Ben Cortman.

Will Smith? That's terrible, just terrible casting.
Fri 30/01/04 at 12:46
Regular
I forgot there's a Waterstones in town too. I'll check that out.

The graphic novel sounds good. Might get it once I've read the original.
Fri 30/01/04 at 12:38
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
ßulle††™ wrote:
> Know where I can buy this, other than online?
>
> The local bookshop don't have it, neither does WH Smith. *Could* try
> Borders, any other ideas?

Hmmm, its a classic, so I thought you would have got it at a good bookstore (Waterstones, Dillons etc)

Smiths definately wouldn't have it, so I think online is you're only way.

I've just done a quick search and have found out there is a graphic novel version available. cool.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/ (space) 1932382089/102-7324060-4658529?v=glance

Next on my wishlist I think.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.