GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 is not selling?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 25/03/01 at 23:37
Regular
:-)

http://special.reserve.co.uk /news/story.php?id=736
Sun 25/03/01 at 23:37
"High polygon count"
:-)

http://special.reserve.co.uk /news/story.php?id=736
Mon 26/03/01 at 18:56
Regular
That`s good news. The more people that own it, the more likely it is that developers will stick with it, which will keep up a good run of games.

The big question now is: Can Sony make the Add-on work?

In PSM2 there is that big article about Sony + Sega + Namco doing the internet stuff. They suggested that a reasonable price would be the key to success for the add-on, any suggestions as to how much it`ll be?
Mon 26/03/01 at 19:48
"High polygon count"
At an absolute maximum, I'd pay £150.

It should be less than that though, IMHO. The price of HD's is falling dramatically, and I have seen some places doing 30Gb drives for around £120 inc. vat.

By the time it's due (later this year), I can see it being around £100. I also expect the price of PS2 will drop by then, and that there will be a package deal where you can get a PS2 with the unit installed for £299 - which will be around the same price as X-Box.

It would certainly make sense, as Sony will be wanting to offer their machine with a similar spec (with regard to the machines capabilities, if not overall spec) to their 'main' competitor.
Mon 26/03/01 at 22:09
Actually, also, Onimusha is also the first million selling Playstation 2 game, and how many PSOne games can boast that? Not many. There must be people buying the PS2 if they are managing to sell a million copies of one game, right?
Tue 27/03/01 at 10:00
Regular
"not dead"
Yes, um, but, people are only buying the PS2 as a DVD player.

And this one game only sold so many copies, because, er, it makes a good coaster. ;-)
Tue 27/03/01 at 10:13
"High polygon count"
Anyone else think a dragon's head would look nice on a plaque, mounted on their wall? ;-p
Tue 27/03/01 at 10:56
Regular
Yeah, what is all this stuff about Sega + Sony + Namco doing some internet stuff.

I've only heard rumours but i think they aere going to make machines for arcades that were linked through the 'net, so you could play against someone in a different arcade, or even against someone playing on their PS2 and/or DC at home.

As i say, its only rumours, anyone else know anything else?
Tue 27/03/01 at 11:23
Regular
"not dead"
Could it be anything to do with the PS2's internet connection, and Sega's online network?
Tue 27/03/01 at 12:03
I would agree that the PS2 is great as a DVD player(the only annoying thing about that is the fact that the system is a bit screwey when it comes to RGB Scart) and I admit I use it the majority of the time to play DVDs. But at least it has a dual function, when the GOOD games, like ZOE for example, are released for the system people will then buy the system as a games console. I believe that people are biding their time at the moment to wait for games that will be of good quality but at least in the meantime they can pick from the thousands of DVD titles out now, so then the system wouldnt be a complete waste of money. Isnt that what happened with the N64, with their dribble of good games every once in a blue moon?
Tue 27/03/01 at 12:26
Regular
Your Honour wrote:
> Yeah, what is all this stuff about Sega + Sony + Namco doing some
> internet stuff.

As i
> say, its only rumours, anyone else know anything else?

Not rumours anymore. It is confirmed that the trio will be making arcade machines with the internet capabilities first, which will sell the idea to those with or without a PS2, then the internet ability wil be brought into the home.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.