GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I want to learn web design"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/01/04 at 11:58
"I flutter everywher"
I would love to create my own webwsite but do not want to spend loads of money. I have been told Dreamweaver is best option. But what else is available and which is the best. I need something really really easy and either free or cheap in case I cannot do it and have to give up !!!.
I am only computer novice. I can use programs but not written any. Okay maybe I am an idiot to try but....
If I need a book, fine provided it is a step by step easy, easy. Nothing too difficult to understand.
I would like a general site, covering genealogy and odd bits about family history, places, and anything that takes my fancy. I would like to incorporate diagrams and photos/pictures and know these take up more space and time.
Any help would be appreciated.
Tue 13/01/04 at 11:58
"I flutter everywher"
I would love to create my own webwsite but do not want to spend loads of money. I have been told Dreamweaver is best option. But what else is available and which is the best. I need something really really easy and either free or cheap in case I cannot do it and have to give up !!!.
I am only computer novice. I can use programs but not written any. Okay maybe I am an idiot to try but....
If I need a book, fine provided it is a step by step easy, easy. Nothing too difficult to understand.
I would like a general site, covering genealogy and odd bits about family history, places, and anything that takes my fancy. I would like to incorporate diagrams and photos/pictures and know these take up more space and time.
Any help would be appreciated.
Tue 13/01/04 at 12:18
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
www.webmonkey.com is a good place to start.

Plus don't buy Dreamweaver or Frontpage, you'll never justify the cost.
Tue 13/01/04 at 15:48
Regular
"Digging!"
phi11ip wrote:

> Plus don't buy Dreamweaver or Frontpage, you'll never justify the
> cost.

Quite right. Unless your going to do a serious amount of webdesign or are loaded they are not worth spending your cash on.
Tue 13/01/04 at 16:29
Regular
No kidding more than 100 quid..
Tue 13/01/04 at 16:32
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
I use Dreamweaver, i cant remember where i got it. But i definatly didnt download the full version and a key generator off kazaa lite...

*cough*
Thu 15/01/04 at 12:05
"I flutter everywher"
Thanks, I will go and do some investigations.
But several more questions.
Are there any free web design packages to try on?
If I want to change to another is it hard or do I have to learn something new?
Do I have to pay a host for a domain?
Does it pay to use adverts?
Will I be able to get "linked to the search engines?
Thu 15/01/04 at 12:09
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
You've got the free pagebuilders like the Geocities one. You can also buy a few cheap pagebuilders off of SR

You need to buy domains like www.blahblahblah.com and pay for the hosting but you can get freebie domains like http://www.netfirms.com/blahblahblah and free hosting if you look around.

Adverts do b*gger all.

Search engines will automatically find you.
Thu 15/01/04 at 16:00
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Adverts don't do much, but as I've found of late, google keywords can do.

1st Page 2000 is an excellent free program, looks like version 2 now, not tried this one yet - however, it's still free. If there are any problems with this that I haven't noticed, version 1 must still be on an FTP somewhere or other..

http://www.evrsoft.com/download.shtml

Have a look, good for all levels of proficiency
Thu 15/01/04 at 17:06
Regular
H²O wrote:
> I use Dreamweaver, i cant remember where i got it. But i definatly
> didnt download the full version and a key generator off kazaa
> lite...
>
> *cough*

'Can't remember where i got it' :o
Fri 16/01/04 at 11:34
"I flutter everywher"
Thanks
I have been to site and was going to download it. But I am worried because it quotes :-
The 1st Page software includes various JavaScript examples, including a "practical joke" called Six Buttons From Hell. Some virus scanning software will identify this script as the js/winbomb trojan. YoHost recommends deleting this file after you install 1st Page (or skipping the file during installation). Deleting this file will not affect the operation of the program.
Obviously they are going to say everything is okay. Will it really be safe to download????? and how do I know if it contains any others?
I currrently have Windows xp and that contains a firewall. Is this sufficient for all viruses and trojans, etc

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.