GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"members page"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 15/08/09 at 12:57
Regular
hi all
is it posible to make a page available to members only,ie password protected
Sat 15/08/09 at 12:57
Regular
hi all
is it posible to make a page available to members only,ie password protected
Sat 15/08/09 at 13:25
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Welcome to the forums!

I can see you are using a Freeola InstantPro site. I believe there is a decent thread about this already on here, i'll pop and find it in a tick if i can.

Short answer is "not really". You can't password protect certain pages of your site on the InstantPro Builder.

You may have noticed though, that you can set a page live to make it display online.....however you can also choose whether to have this display in the navigation menu on the site or not.

By removing the option to have it linked on the nav menu, you make it "private" of a sort. Meaning only those who know the apge link would be able to visit it. Did this on mine, but its not a foolproof method (SE's etc still find it)
Sat 15/08/09 at 16:03
"Are you sure?"
jj2 wrote:
> hi all
> is it posible to make a page available to members only,ie
> password protected

If I've understood things correctly Freeola are currently working on a JavaScript plugin.

This would then allow you to control password protected areas - not as robust as .htaccess/.htpasswd but could work for you.

[s]Hmmm...[/s] My Freeola Instant Site
Sat 15/08/09 at 18:56
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
I'm not sure how Javascript could provide password protected areas. It a client side scripting language that can easily be turned off by the user, bypassing any restrictions it controls.
Page protection/user control is coming but there is no time scale yet.
Sat 15/08/09 at 19:33
"Are you sure?"
Eccles wrote:
> I'm not sure how Javascript could provide password protected
> areas. It a client side scripting language that can easily be
> turned off by the user, bypassing any restrictions it controls.
> Page protection/user control is coming but there is no time
> scale yet.

As I said it isn't as robust as .htaccess; but there are a few Javascript's that will stop most surfers!

But if you are implementing improvements helping the OP then that also sounds promising!

EDIT: Or I could have just said you have to switch to a normally hosted site then you have lots of options! :¬P

Thu 20/08/09 at 10:24
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Ergghhhh, JavaScript is not secure.
First rule of client side coding: Do not trust the client side.

Hopefully Eccles can implement password protection by the time of our next release, woop woop!
Thu 20/08/09 at 12:10
"Are you sure?"
As I said it isn't very robust but is an option when .htaccess isn't available.

Unless you are storing MI5 secrets then you can project a 'members' page by using JavaScript!

Still don't believe me!

A quick Google found a decent looking script.
I've cobbled together a demo for you to crack:

JavaScript Password Challenge!

As you will see I've only added one user: 'Freeola'.
I've put a word on the projected page - just tell me what it is!

FAO staffies:
I know you've got access but NO cheating by FTPing to my webspace and looking for files! :¬P

Thu 20/08/09 at 12:52
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Ha ha if anyone has time to do this rather than work, I think they need to be scalped :D

Expect an answer soon anyway though, if it's possible. Always the way with IT people (or people who think they know everything anyway), once a chellenge is set.........haha
Thu 20/08/09 at 12:59
"Are you sure?"
Freeola, remember no 'reverse engineering' by looking at my files!!!

Perhaps I should have put the demo with another host!

As long as you can explain how you cracked things I'll be happy...

Thu 20/08/09 at 13:09
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
So basically even if someone in the office (not myself 'cos to be honest got no time for it, and probably couldn't anyway) you'll claim they cheated? :D He he, I know I would.

Still interesting debate though. I'll check back in a bit to see if anyone has managed it :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.