GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Last Samurai"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 29/12/03 at 23:30
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Saw it on the weekend. Pretty good - a bit like Braveheart set in Japan. Cruise is okay in it although some of his lines are so corny they could feed a chicken for five years. But it is quite an epic sweeping story with that undefinable hint of grandeur about it that should convince most people to see it.
There are some decent battles scenes in it as well - obviously not on a par with the sword fights in Kill Bill but good nonetheless.
What? You want a quick synopsis of the story? Ok but if you reckon this'll spoil it, then don't read on.
Cruise plays a disillusioned captain in the US army. Except he isn't in the army any more - he's got a contract with Winchester to promote their weapons. He's haunted by the reckless killings he committed whilst in the army and he's offered a new contract; to train the Japanese army against the Samurai who are staging rebellious uprisings. Anyway, he goes to Japan and gets captured by the Samurai and is kept as a hostage. However he also learns their way of life and comes to respect it. He joins forces with the Japanese Samurai to fight against the very people he was supposed to train. The film culminates in a good battle scene. Obviously, I'm not going to tell you what happens and this is the bare bones of the film but you get the gist.
I'd give it a whirl if you like that sort of thing.

Oh yeah, before any mindless cretins scream "It's not out until Jan 9!", I wish to say that I've just got back from Thailand (again) where it was widely available on DVD for the princely sum of £1.50...
Mon 29/12/03 at 23:46
Regular
"That's right!"
The film is flopping as we speak, though with the international box office and eventual DVD/video sales, it'll probably break even and maybe even make a profit.
Mon 29/12/03 at 23:49
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Cyclone wrote:
> I didn't say you said it twas awesome.
>
> I just can't stand the concept of having something so apprently pure,
> disciplined and ancient defiled by Cruise and his stupid face. He's
> good in MI. Leave it at that.

Yep, I know what you mean. Something as old and sacred as the order of the Samurai being defiled by Cruise and his ludicrous media friendly soundbites galls me.

The worst, most horrible and utterly nonsensical thin is we're led to believe Cruise is the Last Samurai! Excuse me? Can you run that by me again?

*throws out the script*
Mon 29/12/03 at 23:53
Regular
Unbeliever wrote:
> *throws out the script*

*rings cruises sodding neck*
Mon 29/12/03 at 23:55
Regular
"That's right!"
Unbeliever wrote:
Something as old and sacred as the order of the Samurai being defiled by Cruise and his ludicrous media friendly soundbites galls me.

---------

Isn't he going to be in the American made film about the Battle of Britain. As an American pilot. Winning the battle for us.

I shall seeth with rage until I find out this is not true.
Mon 29/12/03 at 23:58
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Yus.

There is a Battle of Britain film with a very heroic US pilot.

Based on a real volenteer pilot who in fact mad no kills.

I know!

Lets try to produce a film on how the British Marines raised the Union Jack on Iwo Jima!
Mon 29/12/03 at 23:59
Regular
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> I shall seeth with rage until I find out this is not true.

It's severely true, start seething, and like cyclone said, the pilot he plays actually made NO kills.
Mon 29/12/03 at 23:59
Regular
"That's right!"
Oh don't worry, if I ever make it as a director, I'll be sure to re-write American history.

I know, let's say the French didn't defeat the Germans and we actually WON their war of independence.

(I'm making reference to the fact that there was very little American/British fighting, but it was the French fighting for them and German mercenaries fighting for us)
Tue 30/12/03 at 00:00
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
I heard rumours about this but I laughed it off as being ridiculous claiming it would never happen. MORE FOOL ME!
He will single handledly win the war for us by reprising his role in Top Gun and acting exactly the same.
What next? Cruise plays an Arab who conquers the whole world and defeats Genghis Khan?

I'm quivering with fury as I'm typing this. And not just because of Cruise. That foolish scumbag Bacon is dancing as if someone's attached two electrodes to his balls.
Tue 30/12/03 at 00:00
Regular
Next will be the story of the Iranian Embassy Siege, which for no apparent reason, was ended by one US Navy Seal, armed with a pistol and a knife.
Tue 30/12/03 at 00:02
Regular
"That's right!"
One US Navy Seal... played by Steven Segal!

"I can't act, but I sure can wave my arms around and make it look like I know martial arts."

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.