GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Imagine a World !"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/03/01 at 00:17
Regular
Imagine going to your local games shop and being able to choose any game in the store.

Imagine a world where games magazines cover just one machine and no-one is arguing in the letters page over which format is best !

Imagine not having to check the "Technical Specification" before buying a game.

Imagine a world with only one Gaming System.

Strange world huh ! One which I'm sure we probably won't ever see, well providing XBox doesn't become as world dominating as Windows at any rate ;)

But what would the implications of a one format games arena be ?

The initial thought is that the quality of games would improve at a huge rate. No time would be wasted getting software to run quickly on every Gfx Card under the sun, ensuring Operating System compatibilty, fixing input code to cope with any controller. No need to rush ports of code to every console as quickly possible in order that your rivals don't steal your new market idea.

However I am sure that a certain element of the games which makes a game "feel right" would not be present in this new single platform world. For example take Tony Hawks 2, a superb game (IMHO), however the bulk of the time I spent playing the game was on a DreamCast, a quick play of the PC version left me feeling un-interested. The "feel of the game" was not quite right on a PC, maybe this can be put down to controllers, gfx resolutions whatever, but something made the game feel (for me at least) much more at home on a console.

However If I was buying a FPS shooter my immediate format choice would be for a PC compatible game, usually influenced by the fact the PC gets FPS games first and secondary that the PC's flexibility to allow plugins, mods etc. would ensure a games longevity.

Without new platforms for games some of the greats would not even exsist, Populous was only invented when Mr Molyneux was sent Amigas by mistake - "That got us into computer games.","if we hadn't had these Amigas, we would have never made the leap". - Edge 98.

Every format seems to have its killer title, Sonic made Sega, Mario made Nintendo, Ridge Racer made PSX1 etc. These titles for a lot of people were enough reason to buy a console to play them on, reinforcing the individual strengths of each game.

So to sum up I feel a one format may well be a negative influence on games innovation !

Does anybody else have views on my bizarre idea ?
Wed 21/03/01 at 12:37
"High polygon count"
ElNeckio wrote:
> "Playing console games"
"Wu ho woe
> woe"
"Maybe I'm A Dreamer"
"Sticking with my
> Segaer!"

Isn't this wear a 'Sniper' goes "BANG!" ?

Sorry, I'm a sick puppy, I know.
Wed 21/03/01 at 12:13
"possibly impossible"
Broadband is where it's got to head before anything interesting gets done on the net, Mr Neckio!

Good luck with your chances of winning gameaday!

:-)
Tue 20/03/01 at 20:27
Indeed the XBox with hddrive compatibility or the PSX2? may well turn the tables on the PC. However Mods require creative input by dedicated fans, of which there is currently an abundance of on the PC, this scene has not exactly been allowed to thrive on the last generation consoles and it remains to be seen how much information is given out freely by the manufacturers in the future.

Possibly if broadband sorts its act-out and drops in price a bit then mods could be downloaded to a console from the chosen server and executed in ram, thus needing no extra hardware, this obviously involves the game designers including the facility, but you never know they might take the time....
Tue 20/03/01 at 20:15
Regular
Yeah but mods may well be in the future of consoles i hope.
Tue 20/03/01 at 20:12
really
Tue 20/03/01 at 20:11
Call it poetic licence as in I am rubbish at Poetry and shouldn't get a licence ;), had to make it fit the lyrics somehow though
Tue 20/03/01 at 20:06
Regular
"You've upset me"
El necking wrote:

> Segaer!"

I'm not in touch with the necking neckictionary, what the hells a Segaer

Honestly, I can't understand how people can mis-spell om a keybosred, it just doesn't makde snede!
Tue 20/03/01 at 20:01
"Playing console games"
"Wu ho woe woe"
"Maybe I'm A Dreamer"
"Sticking with my Segaer!"

Tue 20/03/01 at 19:58
Regular
"You've upset me"
Imagine alllllll the people...
Tue 20/03/01 at 19:56
Indeed Nintendo should not be counted out, the one thing they know most about is playable games and once again they are last man in with the most recent bout of consoles. This may just leave them holding the upper card in the long term, hopefully gaining from their N64 experiences.

PS2's DVD support is indeed going to sell a lot of consoles and is marketing genius, it may well be the best idea they have had in a long time for selling consoles.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.