GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wow, this is sooo true"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/12/03 at 04:04
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/ world/asia-pacific/3329483.stm

According to research, air travel apparently played a part in the rapid spread of SARS. Now forgive me for being sceptical, but isn't this blatantly obvious? Actually wasting time and money to carry out these types of research is stupid. Right, off to sulk.
Thu 18/12/03 at 04:04
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/ world/asia-pacific/3329483.stm

According to research, air travel apparently played a part in the rapid spread of SARS. Now forgive me for being sceptical, but isn't this blatantly obvious? Actually wasting time and money to carry out these types of research is stupid. Right, off to sulk.
Thu 18/12/03 at 07:35
Regular
"cachoo"
Don't you ever sleep?!
Thu 18/12/03 at 08:17
"Darkness, always"
Better and more useful than research into, say, the perfect cup of tea, the perfect slice of toast, how men and women differ in their shopping habits and the relationship between moisture molecules and biscuits breaking in their packaging.

All genuine research, almost all conducted at Loughborough University.
Thu 18/12/03 at 09:03
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Sorry to go off on a tangent here but what exactly happened to SARS? Wasn't this meant to be wiping out the human race and the biggest threat the world faced? Has it just disappeared, people realised it was just a severe flu and so got on with their lives or does the Michael Jackson saga and Posh wearing a stupid hat take preference over that news item?
Thu 18/12/03 at 09:09
Regular
Any news on Posh and Becks takes preference over anything in this Country and I don't know why.
Thu 18/12/03 at 09:12
"Darkness, always"
lalakersrule wrote:
> Sorry to go off on a tangent here but what exactly happened to SARS?
> Wasn't this meant to be wiping out the human race and the biggest
> threat the world faced? Has it just disappeared, people realised it
> was just a severe flu and so got on with their lives or does the
> Michael Jackson saga and Posh wearing a stupid hat take preference
> over that news item?

SARS is an incredible success story. It was wiped out thanks to an unprecedented level of international co-operation and information sharing. The fact that anyone with even minor symptoms was immediately isolated also helped slow the spread...
Thu 18/12/03 at 09:15
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Insane Bartender wrote:
>
> SARS is an incredible success story. It was wiped out thanks to an
> unprecedented level of international co-operation and information
> sharing. The fact that anyone with even minor symptoms was
> immediately isolated also helped slow the spread...

Ah thanks for that IB didn't know that, i knew there was quick action taken by governments whenever someone showed signs of having SARS but didn't know it had been wiped out all together. Makes you wonder why if countries can get rid of this so well when they co-operate together that they don't actually do it more often instead of squabbling over stupid things.
Thu 18/12/03 at 09:25
"Darkness, always"
Heh, perhaps my choice of words is a little erroneous. I doubt it's wiped out, it's just that there have not been any new cases.

The dangerous aspect of Sars is that it IS a mutation of the common cold, which as we know is completely incurable, and highly prone to mutation.

If one strain can mutate from a relatively harmless cold to something that kills 1 in 10 of its victims, who's to say another strani can't do the same. And another, and another...

Who's to say that one day we won't face a more lethal strain, with a longer incubation period. That could mean that thousands could be infected before we even identify a problem.

Other things are highly alarming as well, like TB. "Oh, I got a jab for that in school" I hear you cry. Well, new strains of TB are popping up ALL OVER THE WORLD - including the west - that are completely drug resistant, and it's a big problem again.

Also, did you know that the black plague can still be caught in england? A few years back, some bloke got bitten by a rat in his garden, and had to have both feet amputated to stop the spread of the disease - his feet were dead and rotting...

SARS is a major milestone though, and if future outbreaks can be dealt with in similar fashion - preferably without the Chinese being initially stubborn before whinging for help, and Canada refusing to accept it has a problem, despite one of the highest death rates - then perhaps we won't have to fear any potential "world-killers".

As for you point about co-operating on other aspects. You'll find that political agendas are only thrown aside when both sides realise they will lose.
Thu 18/12/03 at 09:41
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Also, did you know that the black plague can still be caught in
> england? A few years back, some bloke got bitten by a rat in his
> garden, and had to have both feet amputated to stop the spread of the
> disease - his feet were dead and rotting...

Being an owner of rats I take offense at that ;)

The black plague was spread by fleas on rats, not the rats themselves.
Thu 18/12/03 at 09:43
"Darkness, always"
Of course, I was not insinuating that your rats were plague ridden filth...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.