GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Isn't Life Strange - Part two : Religion under the Spotlight"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/12/03 at 12:47
Regular
So why do we have religion then?

Well, the amazing yet primitive human brain, corrupted with dellusions of its species own grandiose, cannot grasp the simple concept that we are the result of a coincidence of millions of events, which although seemingly miraculous, is in fact just another example of the diversity of the cosmos. To believe we are anything more is nothing but spiritual arrogance.

And to denounce such diversity and beauty, and squander our intelligence, by pledging our allegiance to none-existant super-beings, should be a crime.

Thank you

And feel free to chew the fat as it were.
Wed 17/12/03 at 12:47
Regular
So why do we have religion then?

Well, the amazing yet primitive human brain, corrupted with dellusions of its species own grandiose, cannot grasp the simple concept that we are the result of a coincidence of millions of events, which although seemingly miraculous, is in fact just another example of the diversity of the cosmos. To believe we are anything more is nothing but spiritual arrogance.

And to denounce such diversity and beauty, and squander our intelligence, by pledging our allegiance to none-existant super-beings, should be a crime.

Thank you

And feel free to chew the fat as it were.
Wed 17/12/03 at 13:36
Regular
Or, the presence of a God, who went on to create blah blah blah is:

> the result of a coincidence of millions of
> events, which although seemingly miraculous, is in fact just another
> example of the diversity of the cosmos.

*Shrugs*

I wonder if my cat thinks of me as a sort of god. The bringer of milk and stroking.
Admittedly he does sometimes try to claw me in the face, but if I met god I'd have some issues to take up with him too...
:^)

All that said, I tend to agree with your post, except for making religion a crime. Although it would prevent lots of bloody and unnecessary deaths...
Wed 17/12/03 at 13:41
"Darkness, always"
Unless the punishment for practising religion was a short drop and a certain stop...
Wed 17/12/03 at 15:31
Regular
or a leisurely stroll through a crocodile sanctuary
Wed 17/12/03 at 16:29
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Spirituality is needed in my opinion, for let's face it, with every day that passes the way of the world is digging itself deeper and deeper into a materialistic hole of superficial mud. But religions with their dogmas and unquestionable doctrines have corrupted the notion of what it means to be truly 'spiritual'.

Just as science seeks the objective truth of our reality (it wants to understand what it doesn't yet know), so religion should stand for the seeking of subjective truth (wisdom/enlightenment), yet most religions have turned into nothing else but bastions of God-given eternal truths which we either follow or perish.

I reckon philosophy is the true religion, the true spirituality, because, like science, it's always attempting to see what is beyond the next horizon - it wants to uncover what it hasn't yet comprehended. It's open and it's seeking, unlike religion.

Er, if that made sense, then that's my thoughts on religion.
Wed 17/12/03 at 17:03
Regular
I recognise there is much to be learnt from books such as the bible - they are a collection of stories that are relevant in all our lives.

I just don't go in for all this black and white, heaven and hell crap, where those who follow certain rules are granted eternal happiness, and those who don't are damned.

I mean, who made up these rules? some guy thousands of years ago who thought that god had spoke to him. for all we know he was a raving madman.

I think reverend lovejoy said it best in the simpsons :

"Have you actually read this thing, Marge? Technically, we are not allowed to go to the bathroom"
Wed 17/12/03 at 17:12
"Darkness, always"
I don't believe in spirituality. I don't believe in God, or Gods and I don't believe in Heaven, Hell, or other Nirvanas, pergatories etc etc.

We are beasts. Remarkably intelligent (theoretically) beasts perhaps, but beasts nonetheless. Do cockroaches have souls? Do the ebola virii have souls? Snails, cod, jellyfish, sparrows, worms or potatoes?

They're all living things. Do they go on to heaven? Do they get re-incarnated, or go to some spiritual oneness and join with everything else?

No.

Neither do we. We are creatures, simply creatures. Nothing more. We are born, we live and we die. To me, it is for this reason that we should take advantage of the tie we have, rather than cast it away frivolously praising make-believe deities, developing our "spiritual selves" and other nonsense.

Get out and take advantage of what little time you have, because once it's gone, you've nothing left.
Wed 17/12/03 at 17:17
Regular
aye
Thu 18/12/03 at 11:09
Regular
Excellent posts. I vote IB for Prime Minister. And Black Glove for Arch-Bishop :^D

Borat... I don't know, you can probably be chief road-sweeper or something ;^)
Thu 18/12/03 at 12:45
Regular
why you lousy .........

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.