GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I want to start up my own website but need some help please:)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 14/12/03 at 15:26
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Hey everyone, I have never posted in this forum before (at least I don't remember ever doing so) but now I would like to get more involved. I myself REALLY want to become a journalist when I am older and would love it if I could have my own website. Just a site that I can put all my media works on. A site for my photo journalism (buying a digi-cam), for my creative writing, for my reviews (film) and even for my mini movies if I can. By that I mean I whenever I partake in a short film in media studies or I make one of my own (in yeeeeeears to come) I can somehow use the digi-cams to put it on my site.

Unfortunately I have a shockingly old PC with only Windows XP and Microsoft Office. Therefore I only have applications such as paint, word and frontpage to make my site. IMPOSSIBLE! I have heard that there is such a thing called a Student Discount. I want to use this to buy Dream Weaver, Photoshop, Swish and if there are any other packages you can think of which would be useful please don't hesitate to post them here. Unfortunately I still think this is going to cost over a £1000 and I don't even have a job. Not to mention the fact even if I did get them I'd have to pay for webspace and my computer would probably crash every time I ran the programs.

Therefore I have come to the conclusion that I'm, for lack of a better word, stuffed! Is there any way at all I can get help starting up my site? I feel so helpless right now but I also feel highly motivated and ambitious so please someone help me get started by giving me advice. Thank you all in advance :D
Sun 14/12/03 at 16:34
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
He said student discount. That's a student licence.
Sun 14/12/03 at 15:47
Regular
"Digging!"
phi11ip wrote:
> Student discount only works if you've got an NUS card and not everyone
> accepts it. It would only be a 10% max.

*cough* What about Macromedia's (and I assume Adobe's) student copies with the educational flash screens which is what Icarus means? *cough*

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000CDTW1/ (SPACE) ref=cm_mp_wli_/202-8958364-1162237 (SPACE) ?coliid=I2L1IX12E8O45L
Sun 14/12/03 at 15:46
Regular
"Not a Jew"
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/frontdoor/beginners.html
Sun 14/12/03 at 15:44
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Hmm I used to know a little HTML...like really little. I could make text bold and red or whatever lol. Not impressive, can't remember any of it now though. I learned that small amount years ago.
Sun 14/12/03 at 15:42
Regular
"Not a Jew"
For my site, a humble beast, I just use standard HTML coding, don't have Dream Weaver and at the minute I am just learning to use Paint Shop Pro 7, given to me by a mate. It's not very good, but take a look see if you have nothing better to do.
www.primuspilor.tk
Sun 14/12/03 at 15:39
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
**jaw drops and eyes pop out** I can't afford that:(
Sun 14/12/03 at 15:37
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Student discount only works if you've got an NUS card and not everyone accepts it. It would only be a 10% max.

For the programs, try Kazaa.

Uh, can't think of anything else.

And Dreamweaver isn't much better than Frontpage for beginners. You'll just be using the design view which will mean that you'll be limited to the basics. Try learning HTML and other stuff if you want to make a decent site...
Sun 14/12/03 at 15:30
Of course, Paint Shop Pro 8 is only £100.
Sun 14/12/03 at 15:30
Kazaa, BitTorrent - free for everything you want. Alternatively:

Adobe Creative suite - £390
Macromedia Studio MX 2004 - £215

They are both under the student licence.
Sun 14/12/03 at 15:26
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Hey everyone, I have never posted in this forum before (at least I don't remember ever doing so) but now I would like to get more involved. I myself REALLY want to become a journalist when I am older and would love it if I could have my own website. Just a site that I can put all my media works on. A site for my photo journalism (buying a digi-cam), for my creative writing, for my reviews (film) and even for my mini movies if I can. By that I mean I whenever I partake in a short film in media studies or I make one of my own (in yeeeeeears to come) I can somehow use the digi-cams to put it on my site.

Unfortunately I have a shockingly old PC with only Windows XP and Microsoft Office. Therefore I only have applications such as paint, word and frontpage to make my site. IMPOSSIBLE! I have heard that there is such a thing called a Student Discount. I want to use this to buy Dream Weaver, Photoshop, Swish and if there are any other packages you can think of which would be useful please don't hesitate to post them here. Unfortunately I still think this is going to cost over a £1000 and I don't even have a job. Not to mention the fact even if I did get them I'd have to pay for webspace and my computer would probably crash every time I ran the programs.

Therefore I have come to the conclusion that I'm, for lack of a better word, stuffed! Is there any way at all I can get help starting up my site? I feel so helpless right now but I also feel highly motivated and ambitious so please someone help me get started by giving me advice. Thank you all in advance :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.