GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I want to start up my own website but need some help please:)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 14/12/03 at 15:26
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Hey everyone, I have never posted in this forum before (at least I don't remember ever doing so) but now I would like to get more involved. I myself REALLY want to become a journalist when I am older and would love it if I could have my own website. Just a site that I can put all my media works on. A site for my photo journalism (buying a digi-cam), for my creative writing, for my reviews (film) and even for my mini movies if I can. By that I mean I whenever I partake in a short film in media studies or I make one of my own (in yeeeeeears to come) I can somehow use the digi-cams to put it on my site.

Unfortunately I have a shockingly old PC with only Windows XP and Microsoft Office. Therefore I only have applications such as paint, word and frontpage to make my site. IMPOSSIBLE! I have heard that there is such a thing called a Student Discount. I want to use this to buy Dream Weaver, Photoshop, Swish and if there are any other packages you can think of which would be useful please don't hesitate to post them here. Unfortunately I still think this is going to cost over a £1000 and I don't even have a job. Not to mention the fact even if I did get them I'd have to pay for webspace and my computer would probably crash every time I ran the programs.

Therefore I have come to the conclusion that I'm, for lack of a better word, stuffed! Is there any way at all I can get help starting up my site? I feel so helpless right now but I also feel highly motivated and ambitious so please someone help me get started by giving me advice. Thank you all in advance :D
Sun 14/12/03 at 22:19
Regular
"Unknown Legend"
If you want a minimalistic design then use lot's of white space accented by simple images and coloured headings etc. Plus make the links look good, ie no underlining.
Sun 14/12/03 at 18:38
Regular
I recently started my own website, got a little help from the guys in a thread down below.

Probs better if I ask question's in here....

Has anyone got any tips in web design? I want something thats minimilistic but creative if ya get me...
Sun 14/12/03 at 18:32
Yeah, swish Lite. Unlimited trial period, apparently.

http://www.swishzone.com/index.php?area=downloads
Sun 14/12/03 at 18:29
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Free version of swish? Hmmm well if I can get that and just make a cool intro animation then the rest of the site doesn't need any really. Thanks Icarus.
Sun 14/12/03 at 18:15
.gifs?

ANd there's a free verison of Swish 2 somehere.
Sun 14/12/03 at 18:13
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Yeh I guess I could just use Front Page but I want to have some animations:( My mate has his one with amazing Swish and Flash animations. I know it would take me years to learn Flash but I know a little Swish already and really think that all good websites have some kind of animation even if it's just a banner or something.
Sun 14/12/03 at 17:25
"Just a site that I can put all my media works on. A site for my photo journalism (buying a digi-cam), for my creative writing, for my reviews (film) and even for my mini movies if I can. By that I mean I whenever I partake in a short film in media studies or I make one of my own (in yeeeeeears to come) I can somehow use the digi-cams to put it on my site."

Well to be honest, I see no reason why you can't use FrontPage/hand code to create your own site - you can easily make the layout look professional using CSS (it's not that hard to use). Frankly, until you can easily afford the packages/ justify the cost, a free HTML code editor (which has automatic code highighting, quick preview and even a syntax finisher like Visual Studio) will suit you more.
Sun 14/12/03 at 16:51
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
I seem to remember about a year ago I got an advertisement thing about a youth group that had brilliant computers, camcorders, scanners, web design packages and so on and since it was government run you just needed to leave a £10 deposit everytime you went. I think I threw it out though. $h1t that would be real useful about now.
Sun 14/12/03 at 16:44
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Don't buy it. You're never gonna justify the price.

Get a 'bad' copy. Kazaalite.
Sun 14/12/03 at 16:36
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
I don't know the difference so just tell me about both lol.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.