GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"RAID Hard Drives Defaging - Must be complicated"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 12/12/03 at 21:12
Regular
"Digging!"
I was defraging my Hard Drive when I though of this, how do RAIDed Hard Drives defrag. As you may or may not know, RAIDed Hard Drives work but having 2 or more Hard Drives acting as 1 which write/read symitaiously to increase performance. So the whole system of RAID is based on having fragments on different Hard Drives, which I though surely creates 2 problems:
1. They must be hell complicated for your PC to Defrag
2. Surely if they have been Defraged they would run slower than before, as the whole of the file being read/writen would be on one drive. It would still be quicker than a normal Hard Drive as it could still access 2 or more files at once quicker than a normal system,.

Anyone have an expericance with defraging RAIDed drives, as I'm interested to what it would be like to do?

Also, while I'm on the subject do you think I should get a new Hard Drive as I think my 40GB ATA/66 is bottlenecking my relativly new 2.4GHz (overclocked to 2.6GHz at the mo) P4 system?

Cheers
S.A.
Fri 12/12/03 at 23:46
Regular
"Digging!"
AMD_MAN wrote:
> I would get a better hdd, Go for a nice big Maxtor Plus 9 or Western
> digital SE drive, if you have SATA then get one of those drives, Have
> you tried putting you P4 Above that speed as i used to have a P4 2.4
> that went to 3gig no probs with out raising the voltage.

I think I will go for a Western Digital Caviar 40GB Special Edition 8MB Cache (100/ATA) as I don't need any more space than 40GB and I would like to use my current HD (also a Western Digital) as a Backup drive. Also, how easy is it to do a drive image to a new HD?
Fri 12/12/03 at 23:23
Regular
"Digging!"
taka-Q wrote:
> Got it to 3GHz with the RAM running at 300MHz but that was ultra
> unstable. My current 2607MHz CPU and 280MHz RAM is about the fastest
> I can go and keep my system stable.

Can get it to 2.7GHz with the RAM at 300MHz with the temp again leveling off at 50*C. I think this is the highest I can get the sytem with it staying stable. I wonder why it isn't stable at 3GHz. I spose I can blame it on it being an Micro ATX board.
Fri 12/12/03 at 23:11
Regular
"Digging!"
Ah, one last question, is it worth getting ATA/133 over ATA/100?
Fri 12/12/03 at 23:08
Regular
"Digging!"
Is an 8MB Cache worth an extra £10?
Fri 12/12/03 at 23:04
Regular
"Digging!"
Still, for the 5 mins or so it runs at 3GHz the speed difference is quite noticable for 400MHz. Also, at 2.6GHz my system runs fairly cool, on full load never passing the 50*C mark.
Fri 12/12/03 at 23:01
Regular
"Digging!"
Got it to 3GHz with the RAM running at 300MHz but that was ultra unstable. My current 2607MHz CPU and 280MHz RAM is about the fastest I can go and keep my system stable.
Fri 12/12/03 at 22:47
Regular
"Digging!"
The Problem with my motherboard is if you put it up to 3Ghz the DDR frequency increases, and I don't think my RAM could cope.
Fri 12/12/03 at 22:11
Regular
When you are using raid in striping mode which is the one you are talking about when they write half the data to one and the other half to the other, then defraging the drive is much the same as a normal drive as data windows will still only see this as one drive with data it so will defrager the drive the normal way by making sure there are no fragmented files all over the drive.

I would get a better hdd, Go for a nice big Maxtor Plus 9 or Western digital SE drive, if you have SATA then get one of those drives, Have you tried putting you P4 Above that speed as i used to have a P4 2.4 that went to 3gig no probs with out raising the voltage.

Colin
Fri 12/12/03 at 21:12
Regular
"Digging!"
I was defraging my Hard Drive when I though of this, how do RAIDed Hard Drives defrag. As you may or may not know, RAIDed Hard Drives work but having 2 or more Hard Drives acting as 1 which write/read symitaiously to increase performance. So the whole system of RAID is based on having fragments on different Hard Drives, which I though surely creates 2 problems:
1. They must be hell complicated for your PC to Defrag
2. Surely if they have been Defraged they would run slower than before, as the whole of the file being read/writen would be on one drive. It would still be quicker than a normal Hard Drive as it could still access 2 or more files at once quicker than a normal system,.

Anyone have an expericance with defraging RAIDed drives, as I'm interested to what it would be like to do?

Also, while I'm on the subject do you think I should get a new Hard Drive as I think my 40GB ATA/66 is bottlenecking my relativly new 2.4GHz (overclocked to 2.6GHz at the mo) P4 system?

Cheers
S.A.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.