GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming, forever?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 17/03/01 at 23:15
Regular
Have you ever wondered how long gaming will go on for?

Well, none of us really know the answer, to most of us, we think (or hope) it will continue a long time into the future. But really, it cannot go on forever, can it?

Books, for instance, have been going on for years! Story’s have been told ever since the dawn of time! But other entertainment factors, such as film or video games for example are really new to the modern world. Although Film has been going for say a century now, and gaming past a decade, compared to books it is a new technology.

I think though, as it is a new form of entertainment, that us young ones will grow up still loving games and that will be taught on to our children, their children and their children’s children etc. So, hopefully gaming will not die for a long time yet.

But, I think the most devastating thing that can happen to the industry is company’s backing out of it. Maybe to join another type of gaming entertainment or a new one altogether. So, if we stop buying games, or maybe even if piracy gets to high, the big company’s may back out because of a lack of profit.

But, who’s to moan at this state of time? New company’s are joining the industry and more consoles then ever are coming on the market, boasting some really excellent pieces of hardware.

Heres hoping that gaming shall continue and that we enjoy our games whilst we can.
Sat 17/03/01 at 23:15
"Uzi Lover"
Have you ever wondered how long gaming will go on for?

Well, none of us really know the answer, to most of us, we think (or hope) it will continue a long time into the future. But really, it cannot go on forever, can it?

Books, for instance, have been going on for years! Story’s have been told ever since the dawn of time! But other entertainment factors, such as film or video games for example are really new to the modern world. Although Film has been going for say a century now, and gaming past a decade, compared to books it is a new technology.

I think though, as it is a new form of entertainment, that us young ones will grow up still loving games and that will be taught on to our children, their children and their children’s children etc. So, hopefully gaming will not die for a long time yet.

But, I think the most devastating thing that can happen to the industry is company’s backing out of it. Maybe to join another type of gaming entertainment or a new one altogether. So, if we stop buying games, or maybe even if piracy gets to high, the big company’s may back out because of a lack of profit.

But, who’s to moan at this state of time? New company’s are joining the industry and more consoles then ever are coming on the market, boasting some really excellent pieces of hardware.

Heres hoping that gaming shall continue and that we enjoy our games whilst we can.
Sat 17/03/01 at 23:17
Regular
The greeks played games which involved pebbles thousands of years ago...before books...so even if videogames aren't still around, we'll have some form of interactive entertainment!
Sat 17/03/01 at 23:27
"Uzi Lover"
Waaaaaaahey!

Maybe we can use like our Space Dogs or something in the future!

Sun 18/03/01 at 18:56
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Naa... even if professional gaming scene dies out (which I doubt)... There will always be people - hobbiests willing to code games...

Which will be given away free...

Or the I'll give the first few levels given away free... bung us a fiver and I'll give you the rest...

Then people will get to be known for coding games and be able to seel games without giving away levels... just demos of the game...

Other people seeing this will offer to sell different people games so that the programmers can keep on programming and not waste time filling envelopes...

until finally we'll be back where we are now...

:)
Sun 18/03/01 at 22:32
Regular
Games will evolve to become like either the Star Treck holodeck or like that hologram chess game that C3P0 and R2D2 were playing chewie on the millenium falcon.

I trust you all watched that last night on Sky premier!
Sun 18/03/01 at 22:42
Regular
That holodeck! Not for too much use.
Mon 19/03/01 at 16:50
Regular
Guess this won.....this is getting more and more tedious for me.
Mon 19/03/01 at 19:39
Regular
I'm fed up with gameaday... I never win... ;)
Mon 19/03/01 at 19:43
Regular
I'm sure my post was better than this one....though it wasn't such an interesting topic. Oh, well, I won't complain :-), I've already won twice!
Mon 19/03/01 at 20:11
Regular
I've won 3 times and i've been on longer!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.