GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Catching up on movies"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 07/12/03 at 10:05
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Finally got around to getting a new DVD player after a few months of not being bothered, and went to Blockbusters to catch up on movies I've missed.
And there ain't that many of interest to be honest.
Anyways:

Narc
Worthy, hard-hitting, gritty. And dull.
Another movie for Jason Patric to grow a mini-beard and act tortured for 2hrs, Ray Liotta be tubby and goateed and everybody to stumble through rainy, filtered cityscapes trying to uncover the facts of some distant murder yadda yadda yadda. It's just one of those movies that shouts for 2hrs "LIFE SUCKS! BEING A COP IS HARD! FAMILY LIFE CAN SUFFER! DRUGS ARE BAD" etc etc. Not a bad film, just not very interesting. Good opening though.

X-Men 2
More of the same.
Gandalf being slightly campily bad and a bunch of mutants conveniently being in situations where their powers are of use.
Nightcrawler. The stupidest waste of a superhero character ever.
"I shall attempt to assasinate the President and be menacing. Then I shall sit in the Xman jet for an hour and look slightly huffy, with zero exposition about how or why I became the way I am"
Wolverine doing his thing, but with almost none of the arrogance of the 1st film. Captain Picard spends 85% of the movie with his eyes closed and a rubbish helmet thing on.
I loved the 1st one, and this just seemed like a 2hr trailer for bits I didn't catch in X-Men 1.

The Hulk
Fantastic. Loved this one.
Nick Nolte being shabbily insane, Sam Elliot's moustache making another appearance, Jennifer Connolly taunting me from inside my tv screen, pretending she can't see me and doesn't want me...you little minx you...And Chopper being green and mental.
Excellently edited, split-screen type stuff.
And Hulk Poodle. A massive, hulked out French Poodle.
And shut up about CGI blah-blah, you haven't done anything better so get back to your college courses and act all Trauffaut in the refectory ok Orsen?

Rules of Attraction
Good stuff. Didn't really enjoy Killing Zoe and have no other comparison for Roger Avery's stuff.
However, this is a top film. Dawson being a badass and a bunch of others all being young Americans.
Trivia note: Dawson's character, Sean Bateman, is the brother of Patrick Bateman. Same author, same characters.
Fantastic, innovative opening of a party from 3 different perspectives and a very cool split-screen thing when Dawson and Goth Virgin meet up.
And Eric Stoltz getting a "hummer" from Goth Virgin.
-----

There you go.
Couldn't bring myself to watch Charlie's Angels 2 or Terminator 3 because they look like ass.
Wed 10/12/03 at 07:56
"The Will of D."
ßora† SagdiyeV wrote:
> Bah - I tried.
>
> and yes tremors is indeed a great film, apart from that annoying bird
> in it. she should keep her mouth shut.

Indeed.
Tue 09/12/03 at 22:23
Regular
Bah - I tried.

and yes tremors is indeed a great film, apart from that annoying bird in it. she should keep her mouth shut.
Tue 09/12/03 at 19:24
"The Will of D."
Goatboy wrote:
> Nah, I'll stick with Solaris, T1 and Tremors.
>
> "Graboids!"

WOOOOOO!!! Tremors 1 and 2 Rule!!
Tue 09/12/03 at 15:36
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
ßora† SagdiyeV wrote:
> Meh, goatboy you should forget it is a terminator film, it has an
> entirely different atmosphere to the other two, an almost entirely
> different storyline, and totally new characters

But that's part of why I dont want to watch this.
The 1st one and 2nd had a continuation of the story, points of reference and it developed those characters beyond the original.
From the trailers it's just a retread of the 2nd one:
Nice Arnie returns to protect John Connor from scary new version of a terminator, no doubt involving set-piece stunts and narrow-escapes for Connor and (probably) his love interest.

> It's like when people compare the matrix films - you can't and
> shouldn't try to. They are three separate films with different
> atmospheres, goals and events. People get far too caught up with the
> whole "Well, the first was better because ....." stuff,
> when they should judge each film on its own merits.

Fair point, but the Matrix films (regardless of whether you like them or not) continue a story arc. There is development of characters, follow-ons for plot lines and a final denounement.
Terminator 3 was dreamed up after the success of the 2nd one. It's an exercise in money and not much more - hence, I would imagine, the complete non-appearance of James Cameron (who hasnt made a film since Titanic), Edward Furlong...hell, even Linda Hamilton isn't in it, and where is her career?
Terminator 3 is a film created by a committee of bankers:
"He's dead, gone. How do we bring him back?"
"Ah who cares, let's chuck in...er...a FEMALE TERMINATOR!!!. And have 1 liners in it!"
"but Terminators are lethal machines designed with 1 purpose and 1 purpose only, why programme them with humorour one liners?"
"...catchphrases!"
"Bingo!"
"But originally he was a single-minded, viscious machine, as was the liquidy one in T2. So why is the new version programmed with wit and funnies?"
"Shut up, look at the pretty explosions!"
"Terminator 1 didn't have any real set-pieces except for the finale, it was a taut, lean piece of intelligent sci-fi raising questions of fate, choice, pre-determination and hopelessness"
"Kaching!!!"

I appreciate people enjoy T3, it's just not my thing and no amount of trying to say otherwise is going to change that.
I can't stand Schwarzenegger. I enjoyed the 1st Terminator because it was James Cameron, sci-fi and had Michael Biehn in.
The sequel, again, was James Cameron and cutting-edge SFX.
The 3rd? Jonathan Mostow (???), an Austrian bodybuilder, an hilarious still with him in Elton John glasses and the cheesiest "She'll be back" line in the trailer.

Nah, I'll stick with Solaris, T1 and Tremors.

"Graboids!"
Tue 09/12/03 at 14:48
Regular
T3 I thought had a much darker atmosphere than the 2nd - especially towards the end. The part of John Connor was played by a more realistic anti-hero type rather than some arrogant little brat. Arnie, despite his rather over the top comedy moments, remained 'hard' enough to have you believe he is still very dangerous, and the female terminator was genuinely worrying, if not as bad as the T1000.

The story takes a few twists that you don't expect, and was just, well, different to the other two.

It still comes 3rd in my rating of the three, but not a bad 3rd, I still think it is a very good film.
Tue 09/12/03 at 13:39
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
ßora† SagdiyeV wrote:
> Meh, goatboy you should forget it is a terminator film, it has an
> entirely different atmosphere to the other two, an almost entirely
> different storyline, and totally new characters - the only two who
> remain are arnie (obviously) and that doctor silberman (or whatever
> he was called) who makes a brief appearance.

The storyline is almost identical to Terminator 2 ie. good terminator Arnie sent back to protect John Connor from new, evil terminator from the future. And just because he's played by a new actor, doesn't mean John Connor is a'new' character.

In my opinion, it had none of the atmosphere of T2 (the excellent music, the threat of impending doom from the T-1000), was full of painful comedy moments and kinda slashed on the previous two films by discounting numerous plots points ('y'know that whole 'no fate but what we make for ourselves' stuff... yeah, forget about it').

But I still enjoyed it. Don't really know why.
Tue 09/12/03 at 13:36
Regular
You can watch me stroke my shotgun live at www.spider-manpsycho.com

Stroke my shotgun....hmmmm
Tue 09/12/03 at 13:04
Regular
"That's right!"
Mystique sits in a rocking chair, cradling a shotgun and muttering about Spider-Man. She has a web cam showing it.
Tue 09/12/03 at 13:02
"Darkness, always"
El Pinko wrote:
> Mystique triples in size and turns green. Wonka is baffled.

I don't expect that sort of twitching was what was implied.
Tue 09/12/03 at 12:56
Regular
"Hallelujah"
Mystique wrote:
> Goatboy wrote:
> Spiderman,
> ******
>
> *Twitches*

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING SCENE CONTAINS ACTIONS OF AN IMATURE NATURE

Mystique triples in size and turns green. Wonka is baffled.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.