GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Athlon 64"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/12/03 at 22:37
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Do you need nforce 3 boards or equivalent to run these things?
Sun 07/12/03 at 02:21
Regular
"relocated"
AMD_MAN wrote:
> how many everyday users actually opt for linux over
> microsoft.

And how many everyday users opt for a 64-bit processor? I'd say that both are the preserve of geeks - though I mean that in the nicest possible way.

The thing that puts me off an Athlon 64 (other than the horrendous price) is that I heard that there is only likely to be a couple of versions of the chip before they change the socket design, leaving you with an unupgradable, first-gen folly in your PC.
Sun 07/12/03 at 00:58
My Java lecturer and Linux Guru John.
Sun 07/12/03 at 00:55
Regular
Are you sure there is a 64bit version of windows xp pro coming out in the next year as on my last newsletter form microsoft they only had a beta version and said it could be as late as 2005 before it is released, i know they took it to one of the shows showing off the athlon 64bit chips but that was the beta, I am aware of a linux version but how many everyday users actually opt for linux over microsoft.

Colin
Sat 06/12/03 at 23:19
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
AMD_MAN wrote:
> I would wait untill application's and operating systems are more
> common to use the 64bit architecture of this chip then they will have
> come down in price a lot as there is not going to be a microsoft
> operating system that is 64 enables for at least a year, Some games
> are being written in 64bit but that has more to do with the ability
> to use over 4gb or ram when the normal 32 bit cpu's can only use 2 gb
> of ram.
>
> Colin

You forgot to mention the 64bit version of XP Pro, and that Linux has een 64bit ready for a long time.
Sat 06/12/03 at 21:58
Regular
I would wait untill application's and operating systems are more common to use the 64bit architecture of this chip then they will have come down in price a lot as there is not going to be a microsoft operating system that is 64 enables for at least a year, Some games are being written in 64bit but that has more to do with the ability to use over 4gb or ram when the normal 32 bit cpu's can only use 2 gb of ram.

Colin
Sat 06/12/03 at 19:13
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Should i hold out for a price reduction on these chips and motherboards, or do you think i should just buy an nforce 2 board and a 2500+ barton?
Fri 05/12/03 at 17:39
Regular
"Digging!"
Toms hardware have recently run a review on the newest 8 motherboards for the Athlon 64 http://www20.tomshardware.com/ (SPACE) motherboard/20031201/index.html and they thought the MSI K8T Neo was the best motherboard for it.
Fri 05/12/03 at 00:01
D'oh, you know I posted that to ask you in the first place!
Fri 05/12/03 at 00:00
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Icarus wrote:
> As are laptops. But if you don't want to show off how big your PC is,
> then they are good for most things including gaming.

Yes - if you could benefit from moving your computer around you buy a laptop. Else they are a waste of money. Only compromise for something that is valuable to you - you shouldn't advise people to get Shuttles for the sake of it.

> And can you
> answer my Debian related post please?

Er I did?
Thu 04/12/03 at 23:44
As are laptops. But if you don't want to show off how big your PC is, then they are good for most things including gaming. And can you answer my Debian related post please?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.