GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Can you guys help me with some PC problems?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 02/12/03 at 18:16
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
I've recently built a new PC, but transfered an older hard-drive, so I could keep my settings. However, the older PC was very buggy and crashed alot, but me and my dad thought it was a motherboard problem.
However, when I installed the Hard Drive, and try to load up my stuff, I normally get a crash, or a brief (quarter-second) blue screen and the PC restarts, which happens in both normal and safe modes.

Would any of you guys be able to tell me whether this is likely to be a Har Drive, or RAM (I transfered a small amount of that,too) problem, or what it is likely to be.

PS. I'm running Microsoft Window XP, and the Hard-Drive is a 20GB Seagate model.

Cheers for any help!
Thu 04/12/03 at 00:00
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
A change of motherboard means you should probably reinstall.
Wed 03/12/03 at 18:44
Regular
When you replace the hard disk drive with a new one and as long as you arent drastically changing any other hardware then you will be able to ghost the original hard disk drive straight to the new one and it will work.

Colin
Wed 03/12/03 at 16:16
Regular
ßulle††™ wrote:
> Miserableman wrote:
> Your computer is booting, trying to load drivers for the old
> motherboard, finding they don't work and dieing spectacularly as a
> result. As a general rule, you must always reinstall Windows if
> you're changing the motherboard. You will get general sluggishness,
> instability or in your case a complete failure to work at all
> otherwise.
>
> I had that problem ages ago and didn't have a clue why my PC was so
> darn slow!
>
> Thanks for that, even though it wasn't aimed at me!

The best way to get round this when using any non-windows xp operating systems is to boot into safe mode and remove as much drivers as possible then re-install when re-boot form all driver disks.

Colin
Wed 03/12/03 at 13:48
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
Cheers guys! I'll put the hard-drive back in and trying reinstalling XP, though I'm going to replace the HD with a new one soon, anyway.
Wed 03/12/03 at 13:40
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
taka-Q wrote:
> I would think the RAM is not the correct type. Try with the new chip
> and the old HD and see if that works. If not your HD/OS can't cope
> with all the new hardware you have (can happen). You may want to
> network your old and new PC to transfer the data across (much quiker
> and easier than writing loads of RW's).

The Ram is alright, I've checked and it's supported by the supported PC2100 standard (the other 512 are PC2700... 640 MBs of RAM :D)
Wed 03/12/03 at 13:03
Regular
Miserableman wrote:
> Your computer is booting, trying to load drivers for the old
> motherboard, finding they don't work and dieing spectacularly as a
> result. As a general rule, you must always reinstall Windows if
> you're changing the motherboard. You will get general sluggishness,
> instability or in your case a complete failure to work at all
> otherwise.

I had that problem ages ago and didn't have a clue why my PC was so darn slow!

Thanks for that, even though it wasn't aimed at me!
Wed 03/12/03 at 12:59
Regular
Ah this old problem, Basically you will have to re-install windows xp, When installing xp on a system it digitally signs all that systems hardware so when you replace a major part of the system or try using that hard drive in another system it will Blue screen on you as it does not recognise the hardware, it is something built into windows xp and there is no way round it im affriad, you are gonna have to backup and re-install, This will only happen on most major componants, deffinatly motherboard, sometimes it even happens when upgrading memory and/or Cpu.

basically it's just microsoft making it harder for people to copy windows xp onto many dirves then distribute them drives to other machines.

It is not a hardware problem but a software problem although you may also have hardware fault if you are using some of the componants from the pc that crashed alot, but this specific one isnt caused by that.

Hope this lot helps matey

Colin
Tue 02/12/03 at 22:21
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Your computer is booting, trying to load drivers for the old motherboard, finding they don't work and dieing spectacularly as a result. As a general rule, you must always reinstall Windows if you're changing the motherboard. You will get general sluggishness, instability or in your case a complete failure to work at all otherwise.
Tue 02/12/03 at 20:40
Regular
"Digging!"
I would think the RAM is not the correct type. Try with the new chip and the old HD and see if that works. If not your HD/OS can't cope with all the new hardware you have (can happen). You may want to network your old and new PC to transfer the data across (much quiker and easier than writing loads of RW's).
Tue 02/12/03 at 18:53
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
taka-Q wrote:
> What motherboard and RAM you got there?

Erm... the older Ram is.... I dunno, all I know is it's DDR ('naff information from the older PC) and the motherboard is an ASUS P4SC-EA (the one that comes with the Asus p4 533a barebones kit).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.