GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The best broadband provider"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 28/11/03 at 01:08
Regular
What do you think is the best broadband provider?
I know which one's amongst the worst, yea step up BT!
Sun 30/11/03 at 13:26
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Craw wrote:
> Sods law after commenting about no downtime with pipex yesterday I
> couldn't connect until 1pm.
>
> Turns out it was BT's fault. What a surprise....

"Sod's Law" is exactly what I thought, too.
Sun 30/11/03 at 12:53
Regular
My results on adslguide are:
actual speed - Downstream 415 Kbps (51.9 KB/sec)
Upstream 215 Kbps (26.9 KB/sec)
true speed - Downstream 448 Kbps (inc. overheads)
- Upstream 232 Kbps (inc. overheads)

these seem fine, a bit under the estimated results though, but that might be due to the fact that I couldn't select Freeola on the list, it automatically gave me Entanet.
Sun 30/11/03 at 11:39
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Sods law after commenting about no downtime with pipex yesterday I couldn't connect until 1pm.

Turns out it was BT's fault. What a surprise....
Sun 30/11/03 at 11:34
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Using the ISP comparison on the site I find that Pipex is a bit
> faster than BT (but we are talking only a few percentage points) and
> has slightly better reliability, but BT has better customer service.
> Not enought rankings for Freeola to compare it.

Well Pipex the 4th biggest ADSL ISP after BT, AOL and Freeserve. To me the rankings arent always accurate.

I have Pipex and have had a few outages in the time, but most of these where BT problems that affected customers from other ISPs as well. There was a problem yesterday where I could'nt log in, but yet again it was a BT problem and affected other users on different ISPs.

I think in the last 17 months i've had a few outages, most caused by BT and I think 1 due to Pipex. Pipex were quick to fix these considing at times they had over 30,000 customers affected.
Sun 30/11/03 at 03:41
Regular
"relocated"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Using the ISP comparison on the site I find that Pipex is a bit
> faster than BT (but we are talking only a few percentage points) and
> has slightly better reliability, but BT has better customer service.
> Not enought rankings for Freeola to compare it.

I can't honestly comment on Pipex CS because I've never used it, but I can say that when there is a problem then they're very quick to acknowldege it through their network status webpage. From what I've heard other ISPs aren't quite so honest about their connectivity - although as a longtime Pipex user I can't say that for sure.
Sat 29/11/03 at 22:41
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I find the adslguide test ok but its not a good indicator of speed overall. Try www.ocean.zen.co.uk get the 100mb file and see the speed with that. On my 1Mb adslguide rate it as just over 117K/s I think yet other tests do over 119K/s and I can download at over 120k/s solid.
Sat 29/11/03 at 18:33
"I love yo... lamp."
Got a bit screwed up there. Actual speed is above the first set of figures, true speed above the second set of figures. It looks right if you click reply quoting this message.
Sat 29/11/03 at 18:32
"I love yo... lamp."
Before you worry about changing, go to www.adslguide.org and take the speed test (on the left hand side in the bottom box.) that will tell you what you are actually getting. If it is bad then complain. If it isn't then the problem is with your PC.

For comparisons sake I get:
"Direction Actual Speed True Speed (estimated)

Downstream 466 Kbps (58.3 KB/sec) 503 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 242 Kbps (30.3 KB/sec) 261 Kbps (inc. overheads)

'Actual Speed' is the amount of useful data that your connection can transmit/receive per second. The 'True Speed' figure includes an approximation of data overheads (non-useful data) and is estimated to be around 8%. 'True Speed' is for informational purposes only and is not used in any ISP rankings."

That's what I get when I take the speed test.

Using the ISP comparison on the site I find that Pipex is a bit faster than BT (but we are talking only a few percentage points) and has slightly better reliability, but BT has better customer service. Not enought rankings for Freeola to compare it.
Fri 28/11/03 at 19:45
Regular
I've had freeola for a couple of months, never really had any problems tho sometimes it's pretty slow, so i was wondering if there's any better ones. Pipex sound quite good.
Fri 28/11/03 at 18:49
Regular
"relocated"
Timmargh wrote:
> Pipex I dare good and fairly cheap - I'm paying less than -L-30 for
> 1Mbps.

I didn't know the price had gone up. Suddenly my 1Mbs connection is even more fun than it was before.

I have to agree with IB about NTL's TV service. God help the man who tries to access 'interactive' services on an NTL box: five minutes of loading followed by fifteen minutes rebooting the thing as it crashes under the strain of a Big Brother minigame. My gran uses her NTL box to send emails, the lunatic.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.