GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"what is the future of gaming??"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/03/01 at 21:06
Regular
The future or gaming? Well, of course online will be there in some form or other, but not as we know it now. It's too complicated and trouble some, they need to work out a better way. Voice recognintion is included in that, it's going to be there, later when the technology is there and it's easy to use.

Either way you know Nintendo is more than likely going to be leading the pack. I'm not sure about the NGC controler, it just makes gaming easier and more intuitive, but I'm sure that Nintendo knows where games are heading, or where they should be heading. And I highly doubt it has anything to do with the Sony or MS vision.

Well, RPG to an extent is every genre right now anyway. That's basically what game playing is all about. To role play as another person or character. But online RPGs as they are now won't pull it off. They're having good success on PCs but the PC market is completely different from the console one and you never know how well a game like that will integrate, if at all.

It's very hard to say where games are heading in this generation because it's doubtfull that they will change much from what we already know other than becoming more emersive, diversified and catering a different experience to each player. That's about as far as we can go with the technology on hand. The next time technology goes through a hige shift, like between 2D and 3D, we'll have a better understanding of what's to come but that won't happen for a while, we're talking a few more generations at least.
That's what I think.
What do you think???
Thu 15/03/01 at 19:14
I think that Namco should deliver us the Recoiling Light Guns like the ones in the Arcades(with foot Pedal), and bundle it with TimeCrisis2 for the PS2 and charge £50!

Ive been looking for a New Lightgun experience!
Wed 14/03/01 at 22:48
Regular
Thanks Shanks!!
I'll remember that.

By any chance, do you do exceptionally badly at pub quizes and Who Wants To Be.. machines?

Wed 14/03/01 at 22:36
Regular
There's been so many repetetive Future of Gaming posts that hardly anyone even read this one properly even though it wasn't too bad.

My tip.
Never call somthing the Future of Gaming. A far too unoriginal title!
Wed 14/03/01 at 22:32
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Your Honour wrote:
> Yeah, ok thanks Shanks!

> :-)

Anytime I can be of assistance in clearing up a problem :)
Wed 14/03/01 at 22:29
Regular
Grix Thraves wrote:
> I am thinking of at least five hundred ways of committing suicide...

Hang on Grix! Although the title is hardly original, I haven't heard a topic about voice recognition before and atleast it wasn't another one of those damn:

Console wars: WHO WILL WIN?

I think that voice recognition will come around. During the days of the Mega Drive was the 2D platform ERA.

With the 32/64 bit consoles came the 3D ERA.
With the Dreamcast and the broadband modems will come the online mulitplay ERA and after that will come the voice recognition ERA.

And then if I'm right, the Hologram ERA will follow.
Wed 14/03/01 at 21:58
Regular
Yeah, ok thanks Shanks!

:-)
Wed 14/03/01 at 21:54
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Prbably the sign 'E3' which I think might be quite big...

Probably quite a few large people about too...

white haired, ponytailed C programmers are often guilty of this offense...

Wed 14/03/01 at 09:26
Regular
So what do you reckon the big thing at E3 will be then?
Wed 14/03/01 at 08:58
It'll be capable of it, even if the system doesn't come with a modem from the get-go. Nintendo has said quite openly that they plan to play a major role in online gaming.
Wed 14/03/01 at 08:26
Regular

> Also, how can
> the Big N facilitate the future of online gaming when the 'Cube is
> being released as a games only machine? <

Um...Huh? Sorry,
> Your Honour, but that doesn't make any sense.

What i meant was that Nintendo are releasing the 'Cube as a gemas only machine. I thought that it wasnte going to have a modem, although this seems now to be undecided. So i was wondering how Nintendo could bring about the future of online gamine if their console isnt even going to be capable of it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.