GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming Gaffes"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/03/01 at 18:39
Regular
Everyone is fallible, and everyone makes horrific blunders from time to time. Whether it's a bad decision, a moment of panic or an inexplicable temporary bout of coordination deficit disorder, we all make gaming mistakes which serve to remind us that perhaps, just perhaps, we're not quite as good as we thought we were.

So, what's your worst (and therefore most amusing) mistake you've made in a computer game?

The worst one I can think off is when I chose 'Erase Game Data' on Mario Kart 64, thinking it would only delete my ghosts from my memory pack. Either that or "Seeing if it lets you walk off the edges" on Golden Axe 2....

It does, incidentally.

Wed 14/03/01 at 14:16
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yeah, but wont they delete it?
email me at [email protected]
Wed 14/03/01 at 14:07
Regular
GoatBoy, any idea of the web address of those shock waves games?
Wed 14/03/01 at 14:01
Regular
"not dead"
Oh God, I've just rememberedthis game, Spellbinder for the Acorn Electron. It was quite a toughie, so we sent off for a walkthrough.

Anyway walkthrough arrived, and my brother started to play the game, whilst I told him wha the needed to do. Anyway, we reached a point very close to the end of the game after a couple of hours, and he had to mix up a spell. I told him the wrong ingredients becuase I was looking at the wrong bit, and we were stuck.

So annoyed was my brother that he got rid of the walkthrough, and neither of us ever did finish it!
Wed 14/03/01 at 13:52
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I don't think you can.

But for fun, there is a website with shockwave games where you can be a motorcycle policeman riding through a student demo and the aim is to bash them left, right and centre.

It's not big, it's not clever but my lord, it's funny.
Wed 14/03/01 at 13:49
Regular
"not dead"
In the original Road rash you couldn't damage the police men by hitting them, but I always wondered if you could push them into an oncoming vehicle!

I tried, but never managed it!
Wed 14/03/01 at 13:35
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Stupid/nonsense gaming moments:

Spent 2 days trying to kill the T-Rex on Jurassic Park (Megadrive), realised you just had to run past.
*doh*

Target Renegade (Spectrum)
Having a sister that didn't understand the command "DONT HIT ME, I'M ON YOUR TEAM GODDAMIT. OH JESUS, YOU KILLED ME AGAIN" - only to have the 9yr old sibling stare at me and wander off to play Barbies. But I've gotten over that now.

Unreal Tournament
Discovering, with much hilarity that, although you can't kill your team-mate with bullets, you can shoot them off high things so they plummet to wet and messy end.

Knockout Kings 2001
The childish glee in renaming your boxer (Hooray for profanity!), and seeing F***Face as Reigning World Champ.

WWF Smackdown 2
Creating midget women with obscenely huge norks and 2d heads that can only be seen from above and side on, pitting them against The Rock...and winning.

WWF Smackdown 2
Creating a 300lbs guy in a bunny suit and making him backflip around the ring.

Tomb Raider
Spending an age trying to kill the butler in training level.
Wed 14/03/01 at 13:01
Regular
Grix, did you really try Rocket Jumping in Goldeneye? Im assuming it doesnt actually work.

Me and my mate played Goldeneye with Proximity mines and kept blowing ourselves up! The aim in the end was to have a score higher than zero!
Wed 14/03/01 at 10:51
My most stupid gaming moment/s was back in the days of the Atari ST. Playing a game called 'altred beast'. At the end of level 3 you had to swap discs and for some reason every time I got to the end of level 3 I would lean over swap the discs and then, instinctively, turn the machine off!!!
I have absolutely no idea why I would do this but I couldn't possibly count the amount of times this happened!
Wed 14/03/01 at 08:20
Regular
"not dead"
Some of us, myself included, just can't help but wonder 'what if...' as a result very strange things are attempted.

I remember doing something similar (to VenonByte's Golden Axe2 gaffe) in Double Dragon.

Jumping off platforms at random to see if there's a hidden ledge results in the loss of many a life. I guess I'm lucky that I don't share the same curiosity for the real world.

California Games surfing level is a great one, seeing if you could do a jump taking you back (left) across the screen. Normally the waves catch up with you, but I think I did manage it once!

In multiplayer co-op games there always much hilarity from wondering if your teammate will mind if you shot him.

TWINE is quite funny too. Shooting Dr Christmas Jones in the toe, and she falls and dies. Just the same if you shoot her in the face. Or the breasts.

I always liked experimenting with scientists and mines in Goldeneye though. Watching then fly into the air when you set off the mine at their feet is a joy to behold!

But when it comes down to mistakes the worst has to be hitting F5 instead of F8 after losing a life, and all of my weapons at the end of Fantasy Zone 2 on a Sega Master System emulator. Days of hard work lost.
Tue 13/03/01 at 19:01
Regular
"Whatever!"
When I got Tomb Raider 3, I spent ages in the training mode, getting use to the moves and controls, getting ready for the big adventure, as this was the first Tomb Raider I had bought. Once I prepared I got stuck into the game and lasted all but three seconds before I got killed - Forgot to time a jump right and fell miserably to my death!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.