GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games you will never get to play..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/03/01 at 11:21
Regular
And no, I’m not talking about canned games either - I’m talking imports people.

Something that has bothered me for a while, going right back to the days of the SNES, has been the fact that some titles are often ignored of a European release or an English translation in general.

I’m not sure if some of you remember the hoopla that was caused by the public, to see that Square’s Secret Of Mana would see a European release. Nintendo eventually caved in and the game was converted to PAL - it was a victory for the SNES playing public that we were able to play such a masterpiece. However, the same could not be said for the criminally ignored Chrono Trigger, which did see an English translation, but never saw the light of day on this side of the pond.

The one and only viable solution? Importation

More and more people are importing titles, because they either are impatient, like myself, or are fed up waiting to see if the developer will develop an English translation. Obviously, it would cost more for this, but surely, if the game was considered of the norm (I.e. RPG, Beat-Em-Up, Racer etc.) the game may generate the revenues back. Why don’t these developers take a chance once in a while?

I mean, more often than not importation is somewhat limited to the Hardcore contingent of gaming as opposed to the mainstream buying public. But, I believe the public don't know what's missing out on, some of the best games I've played in recent times have been import titles such as the superb Guilty Gear X and the fantastic FirePro Wrestling D.

It's such a shame these games won't enjoy the success that they duely deserve

-S
Thu 15/03/01 at 09:26
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Wow! Thanks guys! :)

But, I must admit though, it's something that has bothered me ever since I was a naive school kid and I'd read about these games in Super Play (which was the ONLY SNES magazine worth reading IMHO ;) and I'd want to buy them, I mean, importation wasn't an option at the time for me, since I didn't really earn enough pocket money to fork out £70 for an import title. So it was all down to the publishers releasing it here and as the story goes, we ended up getting the short straw as always and missed out on the Chrono Triggers and the Front Missions.

It's been good so far today, I woke up this morning and found I won a game! Superb! Shouldn't be hard decision in choosing which one though - it has to be Zone Of The Enders, for obvious reasons ;)

-S
Thu 15/03/01 at 07:54
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Ha. Snowboard Kids....dear me, is was my January evenings....:D. The main thing in especially with Nintendo is that they say that the older Passports like 1 and 2 don't work with new games yet, apparantly the 2nd one works with Conker!!! We could be playing loads more games. And if the big names won't move then we weill, there are passports out there and US games aswell....I think

Who was I speaking to.....?
Wed 14/03/01 at 20:26
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I get really annoyed when these games are delayed. Ogre Battle 64 fot instance is not likely to come out here, and yet i'm sure many people would buy it. Super Smash Bros, a fantastic game, did not come out until people protested. I know this is tired, but I get really annoyed sometimes.
Wed 14/03/01 at 19:37
Regular
"You've upset me"
Well done NZP, a good point well made and worthy of a game
Wed 14/03/01 at 19:04
Regular
Argghhhh! Couldn't stand Snowboard Kids!
Wed 14/03/01 at 19:02
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Snowboard Kids 2 never made it to Europe.

Shame that. I loved the first one.
Wed 14/03/01 at 18:55
Well done for winning a game! Excellent post - I think you explain well.
Wed 14/03/01 at 07:11
They were working on a sequel to Mother, but I recently read an interview with Shigeru Miyamoto where he said it had been canned to further Gamecube and Advance titles.
Tue 13/03/01 at 16:32
Regular
Super Mario RPG is great fun. Not a very deep RPG... but a very enjoyable one, and that's all that matters.

I could never do the last boss mind... still bothers me...
Tue 13/03/01 at 12:45
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
I think your right, it was called Earthbound in the US.

If I recall correctly, it was scheduled to appear over here, that's it, I remember now, it was supposed to come in a box the size that Super Metroid came in.

-S

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.