GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games you will never get to play..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/03/01 at 11:21
Regular
And no, I’m not talking about canned games either - I’m talking imports people.

Something that has bothered me for a while, going right back to the days of the SNES, has been the fact that some titles are often ignored of a European release or an English translation in general.

I’m not sure if some of you remember the hoopla that was caused by the public, to see that Square’s Secret Of Mana would see a European release. Nintendo eventually caved in and the game was converted to PAL - it was a victory for the SNES playing public that we were able to play such a masterpiece. However, the same could not be said for the criminally ignored Chrono Trigger, which did see an English translation, but never saw the light of day on this side of the pond.

The one and only viable solution? Importation

More and more people are importing titles, because they either are impatient, like myself, or are fed up waiting to see if the developer will develop an English translation. Obviously, it would cost more for this, but surely, if the game was considered of the norm (I.e. RPG, Beat-Em-Up, Racer etc.) the game may generate the revenues back. Why don’t these developers take a chance once in a while?

I mean, more often than not importation is somewhat limited to the Hardcore contingent of gaming as opposed to the mainstream buying public. But, I believe the public don't know what's missing out on, some of the best games I've played in recent times have been import titles such as the superb Guilty Gear X and the fantastic FirePro Wrestling D.

It's such a shame these games won't enjoy the success that they duely deserve

-S
Tue 13/03/01 at 11:21
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
And no, I’m not talking about canned games either - I’m talking imports people.

Something that has bothered me for a while, going right back to the days of the SNES, has been the fact that some titles are often ignored of a European release or an English translation in general.

I’m not sure if some of you remember the hoopla that was caused by the public, to see that Square’s Secret Of Mana would see a European release. Nintendo eventually caved in and the game was converted to PAL - it was a victory for the SNES playing public that we were able to play such a masterpiece. However, the same could not be said for the criminally ignored Chrono Trigger, which did see an English translation, but never saw the light of day on this side of the pond.

The one and only viable solution? Importation

More and more people are importing titles, because they either are impatient, like myself, or are fed up waiting to see if the developer will develop an English translation. Obviously, it would cost more for this, but surely, if the game was considered of the norm (I.e. RPG, Beat-Em-Up, Racer etc.) the game may generate the revenues back. Why don’t these developers take a chance once in a while?

I mean, more often than not importation is somewhat limited to the Hardcore contingent of gaming as opposed to the mainstream buying public. But, I believe the public don't know what's missing out on, some of the best games I've played in recent times have been import titles such as the superb Guilty Gear X and the fantastic FirePro Wrestling D.

It's such a shame these games won't enjoy the success that they duely deserve

-S
Tue 13/03/01 at 11:50
Regular
"not dead"
Non-Zero Possibility wrote:

> However, the same could not be said for the criminally ignored
> Chrono Trigger, which did see an English translation, but never saw
> the light of day on this side of the pond.

I'm SO glad I bought that game whilst living in Canada.

It was an absolute joy to play.

I've always wondered just how many quality games I've missed out on due to no European release.

And it's not just small games either!

Super Mario RPG anyone?
Tue 13/03/01 at 11:57
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Good point! Mario RPG certainly looked the part, such a shame we never got to see it over here.

Anyone heard of Nintendo's Mother? It was an RPG - a popular one by all accounts, that looked equally as good as Mario RPG.

-S

Tue 13/03/01 at 12:08
Regular
"not dead"
Wasn't it called Earthbound in the USA?

Looked damn good.

I almost got away with a copy of it too! I tried to rent it from a Blockbuster Video in Toronto, planning to then go home with it, but they didn't have any copies at the time. Damn!
Tue 13/03/01 at 12:09
Regular
"not dead"
Once I've played most of the decent Megadrive RPGs I missed first time round, I think I'll get me a SNES emulator, and track all these games down!
Tue 13/03/01 at 12:45
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
I think your right, it was called Earthbound in the US.

If I recall correctly, it was scheduled to appear over here, that's it, I remember now, it was supposed to come in a box the size that Super Metroid came in.

-S
Tue 13/03/01 at 16:32
Regular
Super Mario RPG is great fun. Not a very deep RPG... but a very enjoyable one, and that's all that matters.

I could never do the last boss mind... still bothers me...
Wed 14/03/01 at 07:11
They were working on a sequel to Mother, but I recently read an interview with Shigeru Miyamoto where he said it had been canned to further Gamecube and Advance titles.
Wed 14/03/01 at 18:55
Well done for winning a game! Excellent post - I think you explain well.
Wed 14/03/01 at 19:02
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Snowboard Kids 2 never made it to Europe.

Shame that. I loved the first one.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.