GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XBox 360 media?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/05/05 at 20:09
Regular
"lets go back"
What type of disks does the XBox 360 use? Is it jsut conventional DVD's (8.5GB)?

The PS3 is going to be using "Blu-Ray" or BD (or whatever its going to be called) which hold 54GB.

If the 360 does use regular DVD's how do you think this will effect it?
Its inevitable that games are going to increase in size and need larger storage media in the future. Increased pixels and larger gaming environments are obviously going to lead to larger data files. Are Microsoft shooting themselves in the foot, or will games not need to have such a large storage media yet?
Sun 05/06/05 at 19:09
Regular
"lets go back"
Blu-Ray doesnt even exist yet, its still in development so how you know the exact price is quite astounding. And besides, its only as expensive as the manufacturer decides to make it. They choose the price. If sony decide to make games twice the price as XBox games then less people will buy them. Put quite simply, they wont. Maybe they'll be stilghtly more, but I highy doubt an £80 price tag will be on them. If they are that expensive then I'll definitely be leaning towards the cheaper 360.
Sun 05/06/05 at 18:26
Regular
"Hello"
1 mm blu-ray is the most exspensive form disk at this time they might be cheaper but I highly doubt it.
Sun 05/06/05 at 13:43
Regular
"lets go back"
I doubt they'll cost £80 because nobody would buy the games.
Sun 05/06/05 at 13:08
Regular
"Hello"
Acctualy Microsoft are using custom HD-DVD discs but going to tweak them to hold up to 15 gb
plus by the time games exceed that size the succeser to the Xbox 360 will have new technology.
And the average P.C game is only about 3 Gb so I can't see games succeding 8 Gb plus they would take ages to load if they were any bigger.
Plus Blu-Ray is about 500 Pounds for the dick drive and the disks will cost about 80 Pounds.
Mon 23/05/05 at 21:44
Regular
Aye, for games really suffer for being multi-disk...

Mon 23/05/05 at 21:43
Regular
"Once isn't enough!"
By going with current-gen DVD-9 media, Microsoft are definitely shooting themselves in the foot. Maybe that amount of storage will suffice for games initially, but just like with this generation, games more than tripled in size as developers got to know the hardware - especially those that are heavy on the video. Even forgetting the games, not being able to play HD movies stand-alone is a big negative. A next-gen machine should use next-gen media, just like PS2 did when it moved on from CD to DVD.
Sun 22/05/05 at 20:41
Regular
Did it actually get a PS2 release? I don't recall.

I gave Riddick a go earlier. Didn't get very far on it when I first got it around release. Didn't realise how good it was. Though the crouching things in the tunnels are rather freaky...

I must watch Pitch Black and the sequel some time.
Sun 22/05/05 at 20:22
Regular
"8==="
We were laughing about Riddick appearing on PS2 if I recall.
Sun 22/05/05 at 19:06
Regular
"bit of a brain"
For most multiformat games they make it using the lowest powered hardware (PS2), and then convert that over to the Xbox, improving the graphics and the framerate slightly. They always make the game for thw rubbish console and then upgrade it, never the other way around - unless its a port of an originally exclusive game - think the PS2 version of Resi 4.
Sun 22/05/05 at 18:07
Regular
"8==="
Edgy wrote:
> Play Spider-man 2 on both systems and I'm sure you'll change your
> mind.

The Xbox version of San Andreas is supposed to make an absolute mockery of the PS2 version.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.