GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How brilliant is Double Dash!!?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Mario Kart Double Dash'.
Fri 20/05/05 at 22:36
Regular
Rapidly becoming my favourite Gamecube game this. I know it has recieved a lot of stick, especially for the battle mode, but the single race experience is second to none.

I've been playing it with a bunch of my brother's mates for the past 2 hours and I'm getting a few mates over to play it in a moment.

Ah I love it so, a true Gamecube memory.
Tue 24/05/05 at 18:36
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Alfonse wrote:
> That new mariokart arcade game looks crap. Why can't they just put a
> new one on revolution. With two people in the kart not one. I like
> the sound of a hundred weapons though.

Two people in the same kart killed Mario Kart.

The removal of it is one of the best decisions Nintendo have made in recent years.
Tue 24/05/05 at 18:01
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> Alfonse wrote:
>
> It looks crap?
>
> It looks better than Double Dash!!
>
> And besides does it matter, it hardly infringes on anything else
> Nintendo are doing.

The tracks look so boring I could cry.
Tue 24/05/05 at 17:57
Regular
Let's face it though, as good as Sunshine and Windwaker were, and they were pretty good (awesome in terms of handling). They didn't touch, let alone advance, on their N64 predecessors.

As to the new one, I'm keeping no preconceptions and keeping away from information altogether. I'm already wishing I hadn't heard ONE spoiler already. :-)

Either way, even if it IS better than OOT, I don't think that it'll be better than OOT was. Just because OOT happened to be such a keystone which we won't see the equivilant of for a LONG time. (maybe when gaming goes VR or holographic).
Tue 24/05/05 at 17:43
Regular
I like Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker and Mario Kart although maybe they don't seem quite as good as before because it's not quite new to us as before?
Mario Kart IS enjoyable but it doesn't have enough tracks the 2 kart system is pretty good and Wind Waker was too easy and didn't have enough dungeons but in the end it was still a very enjoyable game and it was something to build on for the next instalment (Twilight Princess)
Tue 24/05/05 at 17:39
Regular
The-IronFlame wrote:
> You seem to think everything was perfect with the N64 but it wasn't
> Goldeneye was good but then came Perfect Dark which was far superior
> in the multiplayer mode

Yeah, but I still never loved it as much as Goldeneye's, even though it was better.

> then came Super Smash Brothers which
> everyone thought was great and couldn't be bettered but with the
> GameCube we got Super Smash Brothers Melee

I knew lots of was that Super Smash Brothers could be bettered, it's why I bought Melee on Pre-Order. Thing is though, once the flashiness wore off, I was playing the same game I'd played solidly for 2 years before, so there wasn't so much to get into/discover/master the second time round.

> we had Donkey Kong 64 on the N64 which I did enjoy but thinking
> about it now it wasn't as good as the SNES versions it was just Banjo
> Kazooie with Donkey Kong and co. characters

DK64 was alright, but I don't equate it as one of the N64's more golden games. :-)
Jet Force Gemini was awesome though, despite the multiplayer mode.

So the conclusion?
GC did N64 better, but we were doing so much for the first time on the N64 and that made it all the more special. And then you could argue that a lot of the GC games failed to live up to the standard of their N64 predecessors, **cough** sunshinewindwakermariokartfzero **cough** but that'd be a whole can of worms you'd be opening! :-)
Tue 24/05/05 at 17:25
Regular
Alfonse wrote:

It looks crap?

It looks better than Double Dash!!

And besides does it matter, it hardly infringes on anything else Nintendo are doing.
Tue 24/05/05 at 16:47
Regular
That new mariokart arcade game looks crap. Why can't they just put a new one on revolution. With two people in the kart not one. I like the sound of a hundred weapons though.
Tue 24/05/05 at 16:38
Regular
You seem to think everything was perfect with the N64 but it wasn't Goldeneye was good but then came Perfect Dark which was far superior in the multiplayer mode but it seems that was the start of the multiplayer oriented First Person shooters we get mostly nowadays. That was because Perfect Dark in the single player campaign was no where near as good as Goldeneye, then came Super Smash Brothers which everyone thought was great and couldn't be bettered but with the GameCube we got Super Smash Brothers Melee which blew it away and then we had Donkey Kong 64 on the N64 which I did enjoy but thinking about it now it wasn't as good as the SNES versions it was just Banjo Kazooie with Donkey Kong and co. characters

For the Gamecube we got a Mario RPG over here in Europe unlike the N64 version and then we got Pikmin and a Metroid game(s) which didn't appear on the N64 and then we have more RPG's on this platform including a remake to the brilliant Dreamcast RPG Skies Of Arcadia!
Tue 24/05/05 at 16:29
Regular
"The definitive tag"
I think the only reason I consider the time of the N64 to be the golden age of gaming is because that was when I was most into gaming, and when all the people around me were as into it as I was. Just so happens that the N64 was the best console around at the time.

My first gaming experiences were with the NES and the SNES, but I wasn't really old enough to appreciate how good the games were. By the time the N64 came along, my mind was matured enough to get the best out of the standard of the games that were around at the time.

As I've got older, the people who I used to play games with lost interest in them or I simply don't know the people anymore.

It's good to sit down in front of the TV with the friends I have today and play some good old Goldeneye while we all reflect on our individual memories, but the days when gaming was a huge part of my life are well and truly over.

I'm sure kids who's first gaming experiences were with a Gamecube will look back in eight or so years time and wish they were still playing Mario Kart Double Dash or The Wind Waker.
Tue 24/05/05 at 16:02
Regular
Thing is, we appreciate the N64 it being our "golden age", when we were most innocent and impressionable to the delights of gaming.

People who were playing the Snes back in the Golden Days would never have anyone try to compare Mario 64 to Mario World, or OOT to Link to the Past.
Likewise, some people who started on the Gamecube might go back to find N64 games almost unplayable in comparison.

I have to admire Dringo for purely living in the moment (which his odd regarding his obssession with the future...) :-S

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.