GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hurt & The Downward Spiral - Nine Inch Nails"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 17/11/03 at 23:58
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Hurt is perhaps the most well-known song(outside of fan knowledge) of Nine Inch Nails.
Covered by Johnny Cash shortly before his death this year with one of the most poignant videos ever made (courtesy of Mark Romanek. Even Justin Timberlake apologised for winning the best male video award at the 2003 eMpTyV video awards 2 weeks before Cash's death)

The closing track to "The Downward Spinal", an album recorded at the home of Sharon Tate & Roman Polanski, the home where she was butchered 8 months pregnant by The Manson Family and messages daubed on the walls in her blood/foetal remains like "Creepy Crawl", signalling the end of the sixties and the hippy generation's lovefest.

Trent Reznor, father of "industrial" (him & Al Jourgensen of Ministry), recorded the soundtrack to what amounts to his nervous breakdown. Songs are harsh, pounding, discordant, fractured soundscapes of fury and revulsion. Lyrics veer from absolutely indignant fury of "Closer", to the battered, lifeless closing track "Hurt".
It's an album of pain, anger, confusion, fear, regret, hope, and at times just unrelenting, chaotic white-hot fury.
It's not easy-listening, and especially in light of today's glut of fake, designed-to-grab-your-dollar angsty rock crap courtesy of Limp Bizkit and so many other identikit white blokes in big shorts rapping about how hard life is in your bedroom in your parent's house and why does nobody understand me waaah waaah waaah.

If you want to listen to pre-packaged, easily digestible pretend angry music, then suck up that Papa Roach cd and keep practising your skateboarding until a wandering policeman tells you off, whereupon you instantly stop - then sneer and continue once he's *well* out of sight.

If you want to listen to something that isn't instantly accessible, that starts with the sound of Reznor being beaten by his producer with a billy-club until it segues into the beat for the opening track, then go get "The Downward Spiral".
Or at least go and download "Hurt" to get a taste of the quieter, easier to listen to side of this album.

It's Reznor singing almost in a whisper, an acoustic guitar and droning, sweeping static apart from 2 sections of just white noise. The finale, if you listen real close, is Reznor singing the last verse crying softly.
It's almost embarassing to listen into a man singing
"What have I become my sweetest friend? Everyone I know goes away in the end, I am still right here" in a cracked voice before it collapses into feedback and echoey reverb.

The video, if you can find it, is him live in front of a massive screen showing time lapse footage of animals decaying and being consumed by mould/maggots.
Or if you have a fast connection, go here and watch the Johnny Cash version:
http://www.markromanek.com/video/14.html
Bearing in mind it's a song about loss, coming to terms with death and wishing you could have your time again, it still makes me feel extremely sad to watch a legend sitting at home with his wife, looking at pics of himself and crying with a powerful dignity.

Nine Inch Nails - not a posturing, vacous band with shouty choruses and moshpit friendly downtuned guitars.
The Downward Spiral - not an album to put on and forget about 5 mins later when the next version comes down the pipe.
Wed 19/11/03 at 20:34
"possibly impossible"
I used to listen to NIN lying in the dark with my eyes closed. It conjours such disturbing images, I certainly felt something from Downward Spiral.

Unfortunately it's on tape, so I don't really listen to it anymore. One to pick up when I see it in our local market I think.
Wed 19/11/03 at 11:06
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Goatboy wrote:
> HMV on Oxford Street, in their massive sale thing.

Thanks.

Will swing by my nearest HMV (Piccadilly Circus) lunch-time, see if it's in there as well.
Wed 19/11/03 at 10:57
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
HMV on Oxford Street, in their massive sale thing.
Wed 19/11/03 at 08:34
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
GB - where did you pick this up for £6 from mate?
Tue 18/11/03 at 15:10
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Goatboy wrote:
> March of The Pigs is 2nd fav to Hurt for me.
> The insane drum intro and the "Doesn't it make you feel
> better?"....BAM!
>
> Well worth re-listening to.

"the pigs have won tonight,
And we can all sleep soundly,
because everything is alriiiiiiight"
(nice, calm plinky, plinky piano.)

Prefect ending to a crazy song ;)
Tue 18/11/03 at 15:03
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
March of The Pigs is 2nd fav to Hurt for me.
The insane drum intro and the "Doesn't it make you feel better?"....BAM!

Well worth re-listening to.
Tue 18/11/03 at 14:27
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Sandbox Magician wrote:
> Surprisingly, I haven't heard "The Downward Sprial" but own
> and adore "The Fragile".
>
> A trip to HMV me thinks...

Buy it. There are some weak songs on "The Fragile" IMHO, although some cracking ones too. "Downward Spiral" is far superior.

And its got "Closer" on, while although a crowd pleaser, still makes me bounce around.

And "Reptile"
And "Mr Self Destruct"
And "Hurt"
And "Big man with a gun"
And "Piggy"
And "March of the Pigs"

(sigh) I'll be listening to this album again tonight methinks.
Tue 18/11/03 at 14:09
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Surprisingly, I haven't heard "The Downward Sprial" but own and adore "The Fragile".

A trip to HMV me thinks...
Tue 18/11/03 at 11:14
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Pandaemonium wrote:
> Its nice to see there's still people who enjoy his music out there!
---

I remember when I used to go to stay with a mate at Uni of London and we hit the rock clubs like The Borderline, The Astoria etc and "Head like a Hole" would come on, place goes mental and it's a sea of headbanging, shoutalong and snakebite being spilt on the floor mid-mosh.

Ah...the memories.
I saw Downward Spiral on sale for £5.99 and thought "Yeah, why not?" and forget how absolutely cracking it is.
And having listened to it, realised how few guitars are on there and how watered-down and Britney-Spears people like Marilyn Manson actually are.
Tue 18/11/03 at 08:33
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
I forgot to mention. Trent is off the DoomIII sfx / soundtrack.

Its taking ID longer than expected, and he wanted to get back into the studio to record an album.
We may still hear some sfx but it will not be the fully immersive experience that made Quake so uncomfortable to play.

On a plus side, I have a new album to look forward too :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.