GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Noisy fan ???"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/03/01 at 12:37
Regular
Just a general question about the sound coming from my PS2, do all ps2 fans make a lot of noise? Sony tell me it should be near silent and have already replaced one unit but the hum from the second one is even louder.
Thu 05/04/01 at 13:01
If you think your fan is to noisy then Try running your PS2 sound through a Dolby digital stereo, wack the volume up and enjoy
Wed 04/04/01 at 19:28
I acnt see how any of you lot can say that the fan is noisy if you really think its that bad try the dreamcasts fan!
then you wont complain
Mon 02/04/01 at 21:28
With mine i don't actually think it is the fan. I can hear the slight whirling sound of the fan when the machine starts up but when i put a game cd in and start to play, a new sound appears which actually is louder than the fan. I think that there might be something lose in my PS2. When the PS2 makes the noise i can gently put my hand on it and i can feel it vibrate. Sometimes the vibration is so strong that iw will rattle any lose, small objects on the shelve where i kept it. The noise also sounds like a rattling sound more than anything. This sound is also not a constant one. Sometimes i can play a game and no it will make not sound at all but sometimes it sounds like a lawnmower. I feel that if i put it on the garden it will cut the grass for me! The only thing that is worrying me at the moment is that if there is something lose, what happens when it becomes fully detached? Will my PS2 break down completely or will it have no effect at all? I can't really open my PS2 up either because for 1. it will remove the one year warranty and 2. i wouldn't have a clue what i would be looking for. If anybody can give me any advice on what to do i would be very grateful

Darkreaper

P.S.
At the moment i play the PS2 Vertically but even if i lay it horizontally it makes even more noise.
Mon 02/04/01 at 20:38
My fan is noisy aswell. I cant watch my dvds properly because the constant hum of the fan is so distracting. Also when I play ps2 games it sounds as if the disk is being scratched but I dont get this when playing ps1 games
apparently it is the ps2 processing the huge amounts of data. Does anyone know what it actually is.
Mon 02/04/01 at 15:20
I think its normal for some games. Whenever I play on DOA2, it is usually very quite but with a bit of fan noise. But when I play games like Smugglers Run it makes a real racket, (I'm suprised the neighbours dont come and complain)
Mon 02/04/01 at 12:16
TomUk wrote:
> My PS2 NEVER makes a sound that is noticable over the quite sound
> coming form the T.V, you can VERY slightly hear it when the T.V is
> off but not AT ALL when it is on, my T.V isn't ver loud either. Is
> your PS2 older, they may have chaged it or something, 'cause i only
> got mine a week ago.
Mine def makes the sound of the fan, and on movies , which are quieter than a game, it is noticeable enough to have moved the PS2 so that it is housed in the TV cabinet.I would only consider changing it if you all could convince me that it is possible to get one that is totally silent, I doubt it.
On another point, isn't the PS2 introduction demo that arrived with me finally last week , very poor?. It's taken them so long to get it despatched, the demos are all old news. Not very generous these Sony people methinks, they have a captive audience now so they could at least throw the odd freebie our way that isn't available elsewhere.
Sat 31/03/01 at 15:22
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
My PS2 NEVER makes a sound that is noticable over the quite sound coming form the T.V, you can VERY slightly hear it when the T.V is off but not AT ALL when it is on, my T.V isn't ver loud either. Is your PS2 older, they may have chaged it or something, 'cause i only got mine a week ago.
Mon 12/03/01 at 22:36
Actually i just remembered something. Do you have your PS2 horizontal or vertical? I have mine vertical as i did try to play it horizontal once and it didn't like it at all!!! (it make a lot of noise and i sounded like it was actually damaging the machine) I also got a vertical stand to stop it from moving when i am playing on it and for a few quid it's worth it.

Darkreaper
Mon 12/03/01 at 22:32
Sometimes i turn my PS2 on and it hardly makes a sound but other times i turn it on and it sounds like there is a small construction team inside my PS2 buiding something! It doesn't effect the game play as far as i can tell but i might ask for a replacement anyway as i borrowed Mission Impossible 2 on DVD and it froze in the middle of the film and i lost roughly 20 mintues. I'm going to try another DVD and if that doesn't work i'll moan!!!

Darkreaper
Mon 12/03/01 at 19:49
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
My PS2 also makes a loud noise, when I play PSX games there is no noise but when I play PS2 games it makes a loud noise also DVD’s make a noise but this stops when the film goes on to the next layer. Is this normal? I now its not the fan cos that just makes a low hum, so what is it?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.