GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Incognito Magnificent"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/11/03 at 03:35
Regular
I'm tired and I just wrote this.

------------

It was time to live a new life. A romantic life. Balance would come from that, it had to.

Grix, who had gained a taste for dust after experimenting with the ground, had been licking the marble floor for what seemed like a few hours, but was nowhere near that. It had turned from simple 'trying to find stronger tastes' to a curled up lazy fox sleeping on the cold floor.

When he woke unable to remember where he was, Grix jumped up, his heart beating like a drumming monkey, and clamboured out of the room and into the hallway. He looked at himself. A fox in a duffle coat and a homemade belt for blue trousers.

He looked around.

He was in a mansion. Or a castle. Maybe it was a castle. It was old, whatever it was. Carved and stained wooden stairways winded down to the floor below, with a red and black swirl marking the hall floor below. The only light was from the sun streaming in through the gaps in the boards over the windows.

It was also windy. There seemed to be a gust of wind coming from somewhere, sending Grix's fur to ripples every other moment. An awful amount of dust for a distinct lack of people, Grix thought. He remembered back to falling asleep on the ground... maybe it wasn't really dust but some other dry tasting material. He'd have to research it. Maybe the castle had a library.

The source of the wind seemed to be coming from a large passageway on the other side of the top of the hall. An investigation seemed prominent.

The door led to a spiral staircase. The spiral staircase (with lanterns ready to be lit if he was ever to host a party) led up to stronger winds.

And in turn, to a small corridor. At the end of the corridor lay what was obviously meant to be a wall. Where the wall was meant to be, lay the remains of a wall.

Grix wondered what had happened. It was almost as if someone had charged full pelt at it with determination to knock it down.

It led to a wooden platform surrounded by the large stone outer walls, seemingly built after the inner wall was knocked down. Who knew. Grix stepped out onto it.

The view was of the forest. Trees and trees, some trees and lots of trees and sky. There was civilisation between the trees and the sky somewhere. He'd visit one day.

Grix looked at the platform he stood on. He needed a desk, definitely.

Furniture lay around the castle, still there from it's previous owner. I guess if you're going to abandon a castle, then you're not going to bother bringing your furniture with you.

Fortunately, one of the rooms just down the corridor contained a small writing desk. It was full of paper, and a little ink well and cobwebbed pen sat upon it. The room seemed red, very red. The carpet looked unlickable.

Grix dragged the writing desk out of the office, dragged it down the corridor to the sound of wood rubbing against carpet.

He lifted it up over the rubble of the remains of the wall, and pushed it against the large stone wall outside, near the edge of the platform. He admired it for a moment, then stepped back inside to return to the office.

Grix discovered ink supplies, then dragged a wooden chair with a little red cushioned seat out to the wooden platform. He placed it next to the desk, then sat to it.

He looked to his left, out over the forest and the sun.

Grix took the pen, found paper in the drawers of the desk. He wrote, with the ink, "Does this castle belong to anyone?"

He then folded the page into a paper aeroplane, stood up, and threw it out of the platform. He peered over the edge as it half glided and half plummeted towards the forest.

Grix chewed his lip, then ventured back into the corridor.
Sun 16/11/03 at 20:32
Regular
:) Thanks... Grix is a character very close to my heart indeed... pretty much all of them are, but Grix and Renna especially I think.

I write stuff that makes me wonder if I'm wrong to think I'm normal.
Sat 15/11/03 at 14:25
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I'm pursuing this post like a stalker -

"Grix, who had gained a taste for dust after experimenting with the ground," - what a great line.
Sat 15/11/03 at 12:59
Regular
"bWo > You"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Incognito Magnificent [say it with me kids], well, it looks like it's
> going to be the title, is really a script. I'm not meaning to write
> it as a novel for people to read, more a template for me to animate
> to. I want the story and the emotions and the characters etc... but
> all I ever do in writing is desperately try to show how I see
> something as I see it in film or animated. There's a certain element
> of timing that you can do with film that I try so hard to do with
> writing, but never think I can pull it off.

You've got a great idea going there, Grix, I've always felt that this sort of thing is best for developing a good script.

Great story, and a curious, curious ending. Dust, eh? Are you just a little bonkers, or is it crazy symbolism? Interesting (and I reckon those questions are best left rhetorical, no?)

Top drawer stuff, as per usual
Sat 15/11/03 at 03:02
Regular
So it is true. Grix is here.

And his brain really is in Bolivia.

Hmmmm.
Sat 15/11/03 at 00:19
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Fingers crossed, the t-shirts will be with me monday. As soon as that
> happens I'll start sending out emails asking for payment. Soon as I
> get payment, out goes your t-shirt. :)

You're so honest.

> I'm not taking payment UNTIL the t-shirts arrive though. Don't want
> people paying for goods I don't have.

Of course you don't, I'm a copper you know...:D
Sat 15/11/03 at 00:17
Regular
Fingers crossed, the t-shirts will be with me monday. As soon as that happens I'll start sending out emails asking for payment. Soon as I get payment, out goes your t-shirt. :)

I'm not taking payment UNTIL the t-shirts arrive though. Don't want people paying for goods I don't have.

Just waiting for the supplier to get them done, so other than that I can't really say.
Sat 15/11/03 at 00:13
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Grix, can you give me any info as to when I will receive any info on the T-shirt I want to order?
Sat 15/11/03 at 00:10
Regular
Incognito Magnificent [say it with me kids], well, it looks like it's going to be the title, is really a script. I'm not meaning to write it as a novel for people to read, more a template for me to animate to. I want the story and the emotions and the characters etc... but all I ever do in writing is desperately try to show how I see something as I see it in film or animated. There's a certain element of timing that you can do with film that I try so hard to do with writing, but never think I can pull it off.

All the same, this is more of a side project. Captain Catering is first to come, that's being kept quite secret at the moment, it's developing amazingly well.
Sat 15/11/03 at 00:05
Regular
Strafex wrote:

"By the by, the fact that this is "taken from" the begging of the middle, does that mean the beginning is done, or have you just started inside out? :-)"

What do you bloody think, you know me. :D
Sat 15/11/03 at 00:04
Regular
Grix Thraves wrote:
> This is taken from
> a scene near the beginning of the middle of the story.]

I was about to say, it didn't seem like a beginning. :-)

It takes more than this for me to get into a story, mainly getting to know the characters and places a bit better, so I can't give a proper opinion so far, but I did want to know if anything on the desk had already been written, either by the past castle inhabitants or even by Grix before he "forgot everything".

It's gotten me interested though.

By the by, the fact that this is "taken from" the begging of the middle, does that mean the beginning is done, or have you just started inside out? :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.