GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"And we marvelled at our own brilliance, as we gave birth to A.I. ....."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/11/03 at 20:02
Regular
Abstract

Within thirty years, we will have the technological means to create superhuman intelligence. Shortly after, the human era will be ended.

Is such progress avoidable? If not to be avoided, can events be guided so that we may survive? These questions are investigated. Some possible answers (and some further dangers) are presented.

-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~phoenix/vinge/vinge-sing.html
--------------------------------------------------------

A paper on the birth of AI and the possibilities it presents. I've stuck this link on here before, but what with all the matrix story hype, I thought some people might wanna read.

Interesting stuff!

For those of you who find reading boring, here is another link :

---------------------------------------------
http://www.trevorvanmeter.com/flyguy/
---------------------------------------------
Tue 11/11/03 at 12:57
Dunno about these forms, but yes, we are essentially programs running in our brain. It's just that society is ignorant of this fact.
Tue 11/11/03 at 12:47
Regular
But you've gotta think, are we just programmed forms of intelligence? Are our brains set to learn and appreciate certain facts and tasks? Was there forms before us that 'programmed' us to work the way we do?

*runs out before mob appears*
Tue 11/11/03 at 12:37
Regular
"Taste My Pain"
The creation of a true AI indicates a powerful understanding of 'human' intelligence that we simply do not have today. The day that we can create such a thing tells us that we understand ourselves well enough that we an draw an accurate model of what we are. The uses for such a creation are limitless, for the purposes of teaching us yet more about our own behaviour, as well as as a tool to educate others on what we've already learned.

However, at the point where AI becomes simply I, what is it that we've really created? Surely it would verge closer to a 'human' intelligence than anythiong else, and (for the fact that it will have been created by humans if nothing else) will inherit all the flaws that that implies.

Or maybe not? Perhaps the only effective way to create such a thing artificially is to improve upon it. What then? It goes back to a comprehensive understanding of the secrets of the human brain, and an AI could go on to teach us more than we are prepared to learn. Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. Ultimate power, as I'm sure you know, corrupts ultimately. Intricate information on how to manipulate intelligent beings?

Suits you sir.

But who knows, maybe when the time comes we'll be responsible enough to handle whatever we creat with the care and attention it deserves. I won't hold my breath.
Tue 11/11/03 at 09:35
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Except there is nothing to gain by creating true intelligence. you don't want to recreate the brain and put it in something because it will have a life of it's own.

What do we develop false AI's for ? To do what we want them to, not to give them a choice.
Mon 10/11/03 at 23:03
ßora† SagdiyeV wrote:
If we
> were to advance our computers, both in processing power, memory and
> storage, to the stage where we had something remotely like the human
> brain, could we then conceivably create intelligence?

Yes potentially, but it goes without saying that by the time we reach this stage I will very very old in my coffin. I just think that computer architecture isn't suited to the concept of true AI... it would be better to fully understand and map the human brain and "alter" that instead.
Mon 10/11/03 at 23:00
Regular
Wi-Fi wrote:
> Right exactly Belldandy - once again it's all assumptions made by
> people who have an over active imagination, failing to realise that
> reality is rather different and in this case, AI harder to achieve.

yes you're right it is imagination playing a big part, but that doesn't mean that it should be disregarded. Look at deVinci(sp). He created drawings of machines like the helicopter, many years before they were seen to be viable by 'those in the know'.

We may be a long, long way off. Copying a human brain is a current impossibility, mainly due to the scale. The human brain outperforms all the computers in the world put together by a huge amount. If we were to advance our computers, both in processing power, memory and storage, to the stage where we had something remotely like the human brain, could we then conceivably create intelligence?
Mon 10/11/03 at 22:51
Regular
Right exactly Belldandy - once again it's all assumptions made by people who have an over active imagination, failing to realise that reality is rather different and in this case, AI harder to achieve.
Mon 10/11/03 at 22:48
"Mimmargh!"
*hums Terminator II theme*

Were all screwed by the way. Then again I suppose we were as soon as those damn Sumerians invented the 'wheel'.

Thought provoking stuff, and while I make jest it is nethertheless a serious issue, and one which we shouldn't leap into without asking ourselves serious ethical and theorectical questions.
Mon 10/11/03 at 22:46
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
But we're still actually no closer to real AI. What we see in games is not true AI, it's programming, the characters can only react in certain ways no matter how random it appears, even in games like GTA. What few robot's and AI's that have been built share in common is that they can only do a limited range of tasks. They will not refuse to do them. Big Blue (that chess computer) could not stop playing chess. As it is commercially available technology is miles behind that available to corporations and suchlike, and they are still no closer to a true AI either.

I suppose it is possible, but I would also theorise that such a project would be shortlived even if it came to fruition. To an extreme, along with those involved with it. The Matrix, AI, terminator, and others are all films, and as such paste over the real facts which would prevent such scenarios occuring. One slightly obvious thing missing in the Animatrix's Second Renaissance tale is that the humans could have used EMP weapons - as the resistance does in the Matrix - and as we actually have now, to easily defeat the robots.

It is in no-ones interest to create something which can refuse to do something, only to create something which unquestioningly does what we ask it to, and such a creation would not be true AI.
Mon 10/11/03 at 21:45
Regular
all true, but I still believe it will happen, just a case of when.

after all, 10 years ago we were still mincing about with 386, 25Mhz PCs, 10 years before that it was 48k spectrums.

who knows where we'll be in another 50 years, technologically.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.