GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games and Real Life"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 09/03/01 at 15:02
Regular
What can we do to make games more realistic? When you're stuck into a good 1st person adventure or quake style game, you don't really believe at any time that it's actually real (well, I don't anyway) You've got so much to contend with before you even start to make a game realistic.

Firstly there's the screen. Now, most people have anything from a 14" monitor or TV to a 32" one (or if they're really lucky, then a wall mounted projection screen) Even with the largest of these you'll get glare or you will notice that there is a massive piece of glass separating you from the pixels that make up the graphics. This is made worse, rather than better, with VR headsets, that are so close to your eyes that you get a headache after a few minutes play.

Then there's the graphics themselves. Even with the current level of next-gen gaming there is a distinct lack of definition to faces and high quality detail. The next-gen consoles haven't really come on much in graphical terms over the last couple of years and it would take a lot more processor power and effort to build something that at least resembles the detail of real life.

Smell is never going to be possible to program into a game (although a small amount of pre-scented smells have been used with a trigger during tv trials - this didn't work very well!). This might be a good thing in certain games, but again adds to the realism of the experience.

Finally there is the control system. Joypads (and in the PC's case, keys), even steering wheels are still no match for limbs and there is no sense of touch to the objects you are using.

Realism could be a bad things in certain respects, you might argue that more people would be affected by the violence or adult content of some games and rating would have to be strictly adhered to, but for the most part I believe that many programmers are striving for the most realistic environments and gamesplayers would certainly like to play these games.
Sat 10/03/01 at 11:39
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Sega, with their past record of super games could certainly pull of a game like that, but I really think that Natsume would be best, All they need to do is modify the Harvest Moon 64 engine and Viola. The game would be a hit. I don't think it will happen but i do think that if anyone could do it and SEGA weren't interested Natsume Could pick up the piece...if interplay let them of course...but having said that Interplay have all the experience and history behind bomberman, they might just know a thing or two about this guy.

The Game
Sat 10/03/01 at 11:36
Surely Bomberman was all about the simplicity and the frantic tactics that you had to learn how and when to use.
Though I did complete the story mode that was never what the game was about, after completing it I hadly ever played the story mode again.Whereas, if I could get my SNES multi-tap working I would happily kill all my friends once more!
Overcomplication can ruin a game.
Sat 10/03/01 at 11:23
Regular
If anyone can pull of a game like that it will be Sega, if they could do a kind of Phantasy Star Online kind of thing, but with some Bomberman aspects thrown in, i would be prepared to have a huge phone bill to play it!
Sat 10/03/01 at 11:09
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Bomberman was great! Back in the days of 1989 playing om my NES. I never did complete that wonder-game that was Bomberman. 50 levels seemed to much for a young Birmingham lad. I couldn't cope. I was blasting and blasting away but to no avail! These people speak of the games like Goldeneye that revolutionised multiplayer gaming...to that I say bbaaahhhhhh. Bomberman is and will forever be the king of multiplayer! Atomic Bomberman was exceptionally good, I remember me and 3 of my mates all crowded round 1 PC keyboard, It was great! It was so hectic and one of us was looking at the screen upside-down! Mega Bomberman was good for the MD. I liked that but I still think that the update and super 4 player Atomic Version is best! And then Bomberman 64, the sweet game. I had mine from the US, I don't know why, cost me an extra £20 to play it cause I had to buy a passport! The finally another Bomberman 'Bomberman Hero' I was all ready to buy this game, I can't remember where from but then I realised that it didn't have a 4 player mode or even a 2 player mode, I was devastated, everything that it had become was wiped away...trust Nintendo to release the game! But it was Nintendo who released the vast majority of the Bomberman games so for that I thank them, as I had a NES, SNES and N64 I experienced a lot of the games. I hope we see a Bomberman on the Nex-Gen consoles. Just because it doesn't have super graphics DOES NOT mean it shouldn't be included...I hope they have a 128 bit Bomberman Adventure with the best multiplayer ever! Imagine a Bomberman RPG with multiplayer Arena's co-operative mode and all, WOW!

The Game
Sat 10/03/01 at 10:42
That was the thing. No matter how long you had been playing it never seemed right to stop. Thats why you had to rely on one person to throw a tantrum, it was the only wayto breal the games strange spell.
Sat 10/03/01 at 10:35
Regular
There was something about bomberman wasnt there? it seemed as if some sort of magic surrounded the game, you could just play for longer and longer than any other game. It was like the duracell of the SNES's game catalogue. I so hope it is coming out on DC, roll on 12hour sessions of no food, no drink, no answering the phone, always saying to your mates "just one more game, go on". The stuff of legend!
Sat 10/03/01 at 10:29
In my opinion games are most fun with friends.
I played Goldeneye for nearly a full 24 hours with 3 of my friends, then did the same with Perfect dark, but though this was good fun and pales in comparison to the soap-like drama Super Bomberman used to put me and my friends through.
We would play for hours until pads were being thrown, people broke down in tears, actual fist fights would start then we wouldn't speak to each other for days before finally agreeing that we were just being stupid and make friends.
Then of course it would happen all over again!
We just never got that with FPS's.
Sat 10/03/01 at 10:09
Regular
Bomberman was a classic, i remember playing it all summer after my GCSE's, me and mates, it was wicked, i think its coming out on DC soon, with online play so we can blow up the rest of the world!

I think the most realistic game ive played is probably MSR, it makes the whole driving experience that much better when, as driving along at 100mph, you go look! its the houses of parliament, then crash into the next lampost!

Most realistsic FPS has to be Project IGI, wicked game!
Sat 10/03/01 at 10:04
BRING BACK BOMBERMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sat 10/03/01 at 09:55
"possibly impossible"
LOL!

What I really meant was more that the experience should seem more real than the game actually be based more on real life. Though VR wasn't exactly a success, this was mainly due to the terrible graphics and the fact it gave people headaches.

Graphics designers are striving for better graphics in their games all the time and I'm sure they'd be all to willing to create realistic environments if the hardware existed to make this possible. Likewise, games players in general enthuse about how good the graphics are in games, even though, as we've discussed before, they are not the most important aspect of the game itself.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.