GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Reality TV Gone Mad"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/11/03 at 12:36
Regular
I recently read about a TV show that has been filmed for Sky1 in which a bunch of young blokes compete for the attentions of this young woman who looks a little bit like Victoria Beckham. The show is entitled “There’s something about Miriam”, and indeed there is – the lovely good-looking Miriam… is really a bloke. Yes, HE is a post-op transsexual with breasts and a pretty face, but still has the wedding tackle.

The blokes taking part in the reality show were not told that Miriam was anything out of the ordinary until in the final episode where (s)he lifts up his/her skirt to show the, well, dangly bits. This wouldn’t be all that bad but Miriam has been flirting with and having brief snogs with most of the lads competing and of course the lads taking place felt utterly violated.

The contestants are taking the producers of the show to court and trying to prevent the show from being aired. As you would expect, they feel violated and lied to. It is not obvious that Miriam is a bloke to look at, there is a picture of her/him in most of the tabloids today with this story in some shape or form. Whether you can tell or not, I do NOT want to watch some he-she kissing a bunch of young blokes who are unaware of the gender of Miriam. It is sick, gross-out TV.

This is clearly the developers trying a new slant on reality TV, a market flooded with samey shows like Pop Idol, Fame Academy and other crap I wouldn’t watch if my life depended on it. However I think this slant is a little too extreme and would be best suited to the likes of Japan where light entertainment consists of men piercing their eyelids with ballpoint pens.

’There’s something about Miriam’ is the entertainment equivalent of committing suicide by overdosing on laxatives.
Sat 01/11/03 at 12:36
Regular
I recently read about a TV show that has been filmed for Sky1 in which a bunch of young blokes compete for the attentions of this young woman who looks a little bit like Victoria Beckham. The show is entitled “There’s something about Miriam”, and indeed there is – the lovely good-looking Miriam… is really a bloke. Yes, HE is a post-op transsexual with breasts and a pretty face, but still has the wedding tackle.

The blokes taking part in the reality show were not told that Miriam was anything out of the ordinary until in the final episode where (s)he lifts up his/her skirt to show the, well, dangly bits. This wouldn’t be all that bad but Miriam has been flirting with and having brief snogs with most of the lads competing and of course the lads taking place felt utterly violated.

The contestants are taking the producers of the show to court and trying to prevent the show from being aired. As you would expect, they feel violated and lied to. It is not obvious that Miriam is a bloke to look at, there is a picture of her/him in most of the tabloids today with this story in some shape or form. Whether you can tell or not, I do NOT want to watch some he-she kissing a bunch of young blokes who are unaware of the gender of Miriam. It is sick, gross-out TV.

This is clearly the developers trying a new slant on reality TV, a market flooded with samey shows like Pop Idol, Fame Academy and other crap I wouldn’t watch if my life depended on it. However I think this slant is a little too extreme and would be best suited to the likes of Japan where light entertainment consists of men piercing their eyelids with ballpoint pens.

’There’s something about Miriam’ is the entertainment equivalent of committing suicide by overdosing on laxatives.
Sat 01/11/03 at 13:44
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I've seen the photo of "Miriam", and I can see how the blokes in the show didn't have the faintest idea that she was a he - very convincing. But yeah, the producers have gone too far. Some things are beyond a joke.
Sat 01/11/03 at 14:25
Regular
You'd think they'd give it away in the title and call the show:

"Theres something about aMANda"
"Theres something about MANdy"
"Theres something about saMANtha"

or something.
Sat 01/11/03 at 14:50
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Paranoid, homophobic, over-reaction anyone?

I can't see how you'd stretch it out into an interesting TV show, but as a thing in its self it is pretty funny, purely because of the pathetic *shock horror*.
Sat 01/11/03 at 14:54
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Dr Gonzo wrote:
> homophobic,

So you spend a week snogging a woman, then you find out she's really a man - there's nothing homophobic about feeling cheated and disgusted.
Sat 01/11/03 at 14:57
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I think it's an amusing idea. Not sure that you could justify stretching it out to an entire serious though.

One episode yes, but a whole series? That's really a bit out of order.
Sat 01/11/03 at 15:08
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Black Glove wrote:
> So you spend a week snogging a woman, then you find out she's really
> a man - there's nothing homophobic about feeling cheated and
> disgusted.

The only motivation behind the moaning is as a reaction to feeling insecure about being attracted to a man. Why did they kiss her/him – because they were attracted to the whole “package” or because they thought she had a vulva?

There’s nothing homophobic about feeling cheated – but disgusted? How disgusted were the men when they had their tongue down his/her’s throat?
Sat 01/11/03 at 15:25
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Dr Gonzo wrote:
> The only motivation behind the moaning is as a reaction to feeling
> insecure about being attracted to a man. Why did they kiss her/him –
> because they were attracted to the whole “package” or because they
> thought she had a vulva?
>
> There’s nothing homophobic about feeling cheated – but disgusted?
> How disgusted were the men when they had their tongue down his/her’s
> throat?

He [Miriam] looks very convincing on the surface, and I presume they were attracted to her woman-ness, not her man-ness.
Disgusted is the emotion I think most heterosexual men would feel on the discovery they had in fact been kissing a man all along.
Not that I have any real sympathy for these jackasses. Put yourself up for a reality TV show and you deserve all the humiliation you get.
Sat 01/11/03 at 15:27
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Black Glove wrote:
> Not that I have any real sympathy for these jackasses. Put yourself
> up for a reality TV show and you deserve all the humiliation you get.

Now on that point I think we can all agree :)
Sat 01/11/03 at 16:30
Regular
scenes not unlike the one in trainspotting, featuring begbie and a tranny spring to mind

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.