GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Any Buffy fans here?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/10/03 at 21:21
Regular
Because I love talking about Buffy. I think its the best way humans can possibly spend their time.
Fri 31/10/03 at 19:53
Regular
Well, I should double check, but I'm pretty sure my girlfriend has seen me more than twice.

Oh, and I'm not sure what your defination of 'girlfriend' is, but its actually a non-imagined, non-invisible real life girl. Have you had the courage to speak to one yet?

Hell, I think there s good chance that you can't even speak to your imaginary girlfriend...
Fri 31/10/03 at 16:19
Regular
"Balls"
I doubt you will ever be a Daddy; no women would even look twice at such an impotent gimp. That is unless you bat for the other team in which you made a good choice as that’s the best your going to get.
Fri 31/10/03 at 16:15
Regular
Grr, I find homophobic males to be especially sexy.

Come to Daddy, and I'll make you into a Man.
Fri 31/10/03 at 16:04
Regular
"Balls"
... thats nice you homosexual waste of space.
Fri 31/10/03 at 16:03
Regular
'don't be so pathetically insolent'

Sorry, love, but I don't consider your opinion valid enough to consider. Thats life, I'm afraid.
Fri 31/10/03 at 15:45
Regular
"Balls"
don't be so pathetically insolent
Fri 31/10/03 at 15:40
Regular
Be quiet, child.
Fri 31/10/03 at 15:05
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Stop lying, liar.
Fri 31/10/03 at 15:01
Regular
Belldandy wrote:
> The Zeppo wrote:
> I bit samey?
>
> Yep, after seaon 3 it all fell apart to essentially 3 variants of the
> plot;
>
> 1) Something effects all of Sunnydale and only Buffy/Scooby Gang, or
> mixture of, can stop it
> 2) New monster/prophecy thing that only Buffy/Scooby Gang, or mixture
> of, can stop it
> 3) They need the help of Spike/Faith/new Watcher person/Angel to
> combat 1 or 2.

I agree that you could put alot of the episodes into those categories, but categories one and two allow for such a varied amount of content and a neverending amount of great stories that I see no problem with it. Its ludicrous categorising, you could do the same with any TV show and we still wouldn't be any closer to figuring out which was the more repetitive.

The fact that Buffy is set in a fantastical universe (with spells and wishes and stuff) means that characters change their personality drastically in different eps creating totally fresh stories from the same old mould.

>
> It lost it's drive, 24 is so crackingly good because it's constant
> non-stop along one plot - for series 2 that was stop the bomb and
> find those behind it at all costs - and that's always going to be a
> better story to identify with.

I agree, 24 was great because it was like a tense 18 hour action movie. But every episode was the same: people running, Jack on the phone, shootout, cliffhanger, the end. Hell, I even thought the ridiculous Kim story was tense, even though it was the most unrealistic thing on the show. There wasn't a moment of creativity on that show, neither was the dialogue clever and witty, and not a single comedy moment. It was all about 'is this character good or bad?' - I can't imagine anyone whos been spoiled about 24 would ever bother watching it. Its a one trick pony...and very samey.

> In Buffy it got stupid, I mean did
> anyone in Sunnydale NOT end up believing in Vampires and stuff ? It
> became a bad comedy, especially the Spike/Buffy thing.

A bad comedy? Well it was alway a drama first, then a comedy. And a funny one at that.
I don't think it really matters whether everyone in Sunnydale believes or not, it was never anyones intentions to stop the people from knowing abou vamps.

> CSI excels because it has self contained stories which vary, it's not
> so much what happens but the science behind catching the killers, and
> those who find that evidence. And it's easier to relate to the
> events. To be honest with Buffy I began to not really care less what
> happened to whom because they'd always survive, you knew no major
> character would ever die so it didn't matter what happened.

Tara, Jenny, Johnathon, Joyce, hell even Jesse (and Doyle on Angel) - they're all main characters who died.

> And X Files, along with Babylon 5 - is one of the greatest shows of
> recent times in my book - 9 seasons of excellence with a CONSISTENT
> storyline amongst other things, plus it's reference to past events
> and such gave it a grand sweep.

I'll tell you one thing, that stupid shapeshifting alien/bounty hunter rubbish they've been doing throughout the show was the stupidest thing about TXF.

And what about silly X Files Lite - eg Rain King, and most of season seven - they sucked because they were lighthearted episodes, but they weren't actually funny.

The most rewatchable eps of the x files are the comedy ones - but only the ones that are actually funny eg Je Souhait, Jose Chungs, Bad Blood. There are some great serious eps, but generally TXF is the most inconsistant show (in terms of quality) I've ever seen. Buffy is consistantly funny, and the most entertaining show on TV.
Fri 31/10/03 at 14:25
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
The Zeppo wrote:
> I bit samey?

Yep, after seaon 3 it all fell apart to essentially 3 variants of the plot;

1) Something effects all of Sunnydale and only Buffy/Scooby Gang, or mixture of, can stop it
2) New monster/prophecy thing that only Buffy/Scooby Gang, or mixture of, can stop it
3) They need the help of Spike/Faith/new Watcher person/Angel to combat 1 or 2.

It lost it's drive, 24 is so crackingly good because it's constant non-stop along one plot - for series 2 that was stop the bomb and find those behind it at all costs - and that's always going to be a better story to identify with. Same with Alias - small stories tied together with a larger plot of the Rambaldi artifacts, fighting SD6 and Sydney hiding her identity. In Buffy it got stupid, I mean did anyone in Sunnydale NOT end up believing in Vampires and stuff ? It became a bad comedy, especially the Spike/Buffy thing.

CSI excels because it has self contained stories which vary, it's not so much what happens but the science behind catching the killers, and those who find that evidence. And it's easier to relate to the events. To be honest with Buffy I began to not really care less what happened to whom because they'd always survive, you knew no major character would ever die so it didn't matter what happened. Sure, you can say the same about Alias I guess, but it just works well and has the overall stories to link it. With Buffy the story arc became so vague and changeable that it was pointless.

And X Files, along with Babylon 5 - is one of the greatest shows of recent times in my book - 9 seasons of excellence with a CONSISTENT storyline amongst other things, plus it's reference to past events and such gave it a grand sweep.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.