GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GBA: Pricing and Launch Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/03/01 at 18:44
Regular
Nintendo of America today revealed the price and launch software for Game Boy Advance. Drum roll, please ...
The new handheld, available in Arctic (white), Glacier (translucent blue) and Indigo (violet), goes on sale on June 11 for a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $99.95, while new game software will retail for between $29.95 and $39.95.

Launch titles are:

Super Mario Advance (Nintendo)
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity (Nintendo)
Army Men Advance (3DO)
High Heat Major League Baseball 2002 (3DO)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (Activision)
Dodge Ball Advance (Atlus)
Fire Pro Wrestling (BAM)
Top Gear GT Championship (Kemco)
Tweety and the Magic Jewel (Kemco)
Fortress (Majesco)
Iridion 3-D (Majesco)
Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure (Majesco)
ChuChu Rocket! (Sega)
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2 (Midway)
Rayman (Ubi Soft)

More than 60 exclusive Game Boy Advance titles are expected by Christmas, and Nintendo says that most software made for the other Game Boy systems are compatible with the new hardware.

The Japan market, which gets the GBA on March 21, will have 25 titles available at launch, up from the previously announced 10. Nintendo hopes to ship 24 million units of the Game Boy Advance worldwide by the end of March 2002.

~ www.dailyradar.com

Well as we expected the GBA will cost about £100 but I am a bit shocked about the £40 games! I don't know what to think about that, I hope we see some price drops before the UK release date...but what are the chances of that! I am glad to see that all previous GBC games will work with the GBA well 99% of them anyway!

Your Thoughts?

The Game
Fri 09/03/01 at 20:46
Regular
Basically, (There are some rare cases like Edgy's but normally...) they get the price in dollars and charge us the same amount (sometimes more!) in pounds!

It looks like the Gamecube titles are going to be cheaper than the GBA ones.

I know which games I'd rather have, especially if I've already played through some of the GBA ones on the Snes/nes!
Fri 09/03/01 at 20:41
Regular
Not always the case...

I bought Pokémon Yellow from the US (when I was on hol) from a ToysRus shop there for $40

However on it's release 4 months later in the UK it was only £25
Thu 08/03/01 at 21:48
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Edgy wrote:
> None of you have considered the fact that $ and £ aren't the
> same!

Its just console companies tend to ignore exchange rates... and just swap $ for £ when they market the machine over here... hopefully they wont this time, whiat with Nintendo in the UK'n'all we should see things making more sense?
Thu 08/03/01 at 19:29
Regular
Non-Zero Possibility wrote:
> You'll only see Secret Of Mana IF Square are on board with Nintendo
> - they aren't at this moment in time. Although, Square are willing
> to develop for both Gameboy Advance and GameCube, Nintendo's
> Yamauchi-san has told Square to b*gger off.

Hmmm, guess he still
> holds a grudge then...

They are producing for GBA maybe not GC but we don't know yet of course.....
Thu 08/03/01 at 19:27
Regular
Non-Zero Possibility wrote:
> You'll only see Secret Of Mana IF Square are on board with Nintendo
> - they aren't at this moment in time. Although, Square are willing
> to develop for both Gameboy Advance and GameCube, Nintendo's
> Yamauchi-san has told Square to b*gger off.

Hmmm, guess he still
> holds a grudge then...

If Square really do want to, they can make games unofficially for the Gameboy Advance and Gamecube!

Nintendo tried taking Datel to court because they made cheat carts which weren't authorised by Nintendo (that's why there isn't a seal-of-quality on it) but lost the case cos the courts said that everyone has the right to program for it!
Thu 08/03/01 at 19:25
Regular
None of you have considered the fact that $ and £ aren't the same!

(Sorry if you have and I missed it!

There are roughly $1.5 to every £1.

Therefore if the GBA costs $100 in the US then in the UK it SHOULD cost around £75

And if the games cost $40(the price I paid for US version of Pokémon Yellow) then the UK price SHOULD be £25-£30

Remember this!

I may be wrong (rates may have changed since I was last in USA)
Thu 08/03/01 at 16:31
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
You'll only see Secret Of Mana IF Square are on board with Nintendo - they aren't at this moment in time. Although, Square are willing to develop for both Gameboy Advance and GameCube, Nintendo's Yamauchi-san has told Square to b*gger off.

Hmmm, guess he still holds a grudge then...

-S
Thu 08/03/01 at 16:13
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Speaking of which...

Snes and N64 Classics on GBA!

Confirmed games so far include Yoshi's Island, Metroid and Super MarioWorld - and also the N64 Yoshi's Story. This is tremendous news, and with a vast back-catalogue of instant SNES classics, GBA isn't going to be short of sterling software. Hopefully, Secret of Mana and A Link To The Past can't be far behind...

COME ON, LETS HAVE SECRET OF MANA!!!!!!!

GO NINTENDO GO!

THE GAME
Thu 08/03/01 at 11:54
I think the GBA will probably cost £80 when released here, and games may cost up to £40 initially.

However after the rush to get these little beuties I think the price of the GBA will drop to £69 and the games will cost between £20 - £30.

Games will probably drop even cheaper though(i.e. below £20) as alot of SNES and Megadrive classic games can be ported over cheaply to the GBA!
Thu 08/03/01 at 10:53
It does sound a bit pricy to me. I think the games shouldnt cost much more than original gameboy games. £40 is too much for me, but I would like one.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.