GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"1.9Mb throughput - again"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 02/07/09 at 17:13
Regular
I note that Columbo is at 92%.

Is there any other issue right now, as I'm downloading and my throughput is not even hitting 2Mbps (for a line less that 500 metres *cable* - not straight line - length from the exchange).

I have just reset the router to see if that was causing the problem, but I'm still running at 1.9Mbps.

This also happened yesterday. I'm currently highly unimpressed with having to pay full whack for this speed.

Neil
Thu 16/07/09 at 17:53
Staff
To be honest the issue is more that we need to establish that the ALT is the reason that Neil is receiving slow speeds than that we don't provide specific support on the forums. I've picked up Neils ticket and I am requesting that he does a couple of BT speedtests for us at different times of the day. If the ALT is coming on at a unacceptable level for too large a period of time, then we would have to progress that with our wholesalers, and move on from there, however from past experience (maybe not with this one or your account) then it is more likely to be line issues causing slow speeds than the ALT.
Thu 16/07/09 at 18:08
"Are you sure?"
Hi ncrs,
Thanks for your post - that's a bit more constructive than Warhunt's ;¬)

Hopefully you'll get to the bottom of this - but from where I'm sitting (I'm on IPSC rather than Neilj99 who must be on a WBC node) the ALT is/has been in effect on many nodes throughout the day recently!

As I mentioned I'm on the Faraday IPSC node which for me currently reports:

ALT status for your connection
16 July 2009, 17:58:15
Active and increasing

Reading other forums I can assure you MANY people are complaining not just me and Neilj99 so I don't beleive it's all down to line problems :¬)

The last time things went really S L O W was during Wimbledon, all I can think of now if the schools have started to break up and the current capacity can't cope!

Search Freeola Chat
Thu 16/07/09 at 18:15
Regular
I'm on WBC Columbo
Active and increasing 54%

@ncrs...

Got your reply - will do. S*ds Law will dictate everything will run flawlessly for the next 6 months.

N.
Thu 16/07/09 at 19:22
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
> As I mentioned I'm on the Faraday IPSC node which for me
> currently reports:
>
> ALT status for your connection
> 16 July 2009, 17:58:15
> Active and increasing

For what its worth Hmmm, I'm on the Birmingham IPSC node and the ALT is off - has been for the last few days at least.
Fri 17/07/09 at 11:11
"Are you sure?"
Dragonlance wrote:
> For what its worth Hmmm, I'm on the Birmingham IPSC node and the
> ALT is off - has been for the last few days at least.

Hi Dragonlance,
If you look during the day I think you'll see it is on for the Birmingham node. There are a couple of sites that plot the history and show things get pretty busy around 11am onwards.

But it's good that it's not affecting you for the times you are online :¬)

Faraday has just hit 91% usage and kicked the ALT on - Your Birmingham node is around 90% so it's looking pretty busy.

As I've mentioned before the ALT is there to manage the available bandwidth as best it can - it's just that lately it's starting to look as if the available capacity needs to be looked at.

Search Freeola Chat
Fri 17/07/09 at 11:40
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
> Dragonlance wrote:
> For what its worth Hmmm, I'm on the Birmingham IPSC node and
> the
> ALT is off - has been for the last few days at least.
>
>
> Hi Dragonlance,
> If you look during the day I think you'll see it is on for the
> Birmingham node. There are a couple of sites that plot the
> history and show things get pretty busy around 11am onwards.

Hi Hmmm,

Thanks for the info. As you say, it doesn't seem to affect the evenings as yet...but who knows. Which are the sites you mention?
Fri 17/07/09 at 11:59
"Are you sure?"
Hi Dragonlance,
I can't say I'm afraid as they are competitors... :¬P

I see your node is on 95% at the moment :¬(
My speed is currently reduced to half it's normal throughput.

Search Freeola Chat
Fri 17/07/09 at 12:23
Regular
First speedtest of the day just taken:

Your DSL connection rate: 13432 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1132 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 11000 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1322 kbps

ALT 94% Active and increasing

Its not looking good.

N
Fri 17/07/09 at 13:26
"Are you sure?"
Here's mine:

Your DSL connection rate: 4224 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 3500 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 734 kbps
If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

Faraday @ 91%
ALT status for your connection 17 July 2009, 13:25:01
Active and increasing.

Search Freeola Chat
Fri 17/07/09 at 14:01
"Are you sure?"
Neilj99 wrote:
> So what is the world and his wife streaming today...
> ...Wimbledon....

To answer your question above:
I've just realised that both Golf and Cricket are going on this week - that won't be helping...

Search Freeola Chat

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.