GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"comics, graphic novels, whatever you want to call them"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/10/03 at 15:07
Regular
"relocated"
Inspired by not going to see The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen at the cinema, I've been reading and rereading a few comic books recently, and I just wondered if anybody had any reccommendations.

I've not read many graphic novels at all and I don't know much about what's good and what's crap. I've read The League..., From Hell, The Ballad of Halo Jones and a few other things by Alan Moore: I love his stuff, but I'd rather read it gradually than buy everything he's ever written and read it in a fortnight. I also enjoyed the first Sandman book. But apart from that I'm a bit lost.

Is there any other series or writers that I should look out for?
Wed 22/10/03 at 09:43
Regular
"Taste My Pain"
Sorry, didn't mean to sound quite so huffy...

I'll go and find what there is on google about this gargantuan rodent.
Wed 22/10/03 at 09:39
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
I didn't mean to be condescending. Apologies.

I find it strange that they should call this super tank after a small, fluffy and fragile animal. Perhaps "Mammoth" would have been a better description.

As to its battle record, thats only what I personally have heard. I know the british tank prototypes got a stuffing, due to the same reasons you listed and the fact that they had pathetic traction in mud.
Wed 22/10/03 at 09:33
Regular
"Taste My Pain"
Strange, the only mention I've ever come across was it's miserable failure in battle. Mind you I read about it some 7 years ago or so now, so I may be mistaken.

And having lived in Germany for 6 years, I was aware what "Maus" translated as.
Wed 22/10/03 at 09:29
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Bane wrote:
> Funny, "Maus" was the name of the largest tank ever built.

Anyway, the book is called Maus because the Jewish people are portrayed as mice, Germans are Cats and the Polish are pigs.

German for Mouse = Maus
Wed 22/10/03 at 09:26
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Bane wrote:
> Funny, "Maus" was the name of the largest tank ever built.
> It was created by the Nazis, and was expected to pummell all
> competition on the battlefield. How upset Hitler must have been when,
> in its maiden battle, it was utterly destroyed, being the biggest and
> easiest target to hit on the field.

Hmmm, I heard there were only two prototypes made, one was destroyed by the Germans to stop it falling into soviet hands, and the other currently resides in the Kubinka Tank Museum in Russia. Nine were in production, none saw combat apparently.
Wed 22/10/03 at 09:16
Regular
"Taste My Pain"
Funny, "Maus" was the name of the largest tank ever built. It was created by the Nazis, and was expected to pummell all competition on the battlefield. How upset Hitler must have been when, in its maiden battle, it was utterly destroyed, being the biggest and easiest target to hit on the field.
Wed 22/10/03 at 08:40
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
And another few recommendations.

* Maus - A survivors tale
* Maus II – My father Bleeds History

Art Spiegelman's books, dealing with the artists relationship with his father, a concentration camp survivor, as he asks him about the rise of nazi power in Germany, and his experiences in said camps.

* Palestine – Joe Sacco.

A first person account of the Palestinian peoples problems in the Gaza strip during the first infatada. Excellent, thought provoking read showing a side of the conflict that is not usually recognised.

* Safe Area Gorazde – Joe Sacco

Sacco spent four months in the besieged Gorazde during 1995 – 1996, researching the human stories that are not usually covered in “standard” journalism. Harrowing.
Wed 22/10/03 at 08:14
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
If you like League of Extraordinary gentlemen, try: -

The Adventures of Luther Arkwright
Heart of Empire : Or the Legacy of Luther Arkwright

http://www.modernvikings.com/luther-arkwright/heart.htm

Both set in an alternative future, where the British empire is still in control of most of the world, and unimaginatevely oppresive. Both very, very good. There is a third collection, but I haven't read it yet. They have a similar "feel" to LoEG, although being different scenarios.

Both by Byran Talbot (http://www.bryan-talbot.com)

Also, his "The Tale of One Bad Rat" that deals with child sexual abuse. Its very upsetting, but an excellent book.

http://www.ninthart.com/display.php?article=575
Tue 21/10/03 at 18:21
"possibly impossible"
No-one mentioned Watchmen yet? I'm shocked. Yes, get Watchmen, it will make you think of superheros in a completely different light. Very intelligently written and completely different to most of the Graphic Novels out there.

Also, try the Hellblazer (DC Vertigo label) Graphic Novels, which are collections of the early stories. This will prepare you for what will probably be an awful movie, so you can see what it should have been like!
Tue 21/10/03 at 17:10
Regular
"relocated"
Cheers guys, I'll give them a go.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.